All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Help for an on the go student- in need dining out tips!
      #23551 - 10/15/03 10:48 PM
LOLA

Reged: 10/15/03

Hi there. I am new to the diet, but so glad to have come across something that works. My question is, are there any tips for dining out in restaurants? I am an on-the-go college student and often do not get home until late evening to sit down and eat. During the day I try to grab small meals in diners or chain restaurants. Often, these foods are smothered in sauces, fats, and cheeses and I am not able to always be accomodated in making the menu items plain. In addition, are there any side dishes I should look for on the menu? I love french fries, but I am now trying to stay away. This diet is extremely challanging as well becasue I am trying not to lose any weight. Please get back to me with suggestions or advice so I can go on with everday life just like everyone else. Thank you!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help for an on the go student- in need dining out tips! new
      #23570 - 10/16/03 07:41 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

There have been many post on this topic do a broad search with no time restrictions and you will find a wealth of info! Try to look for places like Mr. Pita and Delis. Roll up sandwiches will offer you a greater selection. Chicken and turkey are fine, low fat dressing usually ok-it varies if people can tolerate lettuce and tomates, hummus works great on sandwiches as a sub for mayo. Delis you also have control over what they are putting on your food. Subways are a good option. Burger King has that new grilled chicken sandwich you could try. Most people do ok with some Chinnesse food also.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#23599 - 10/16/03 11:02 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Great suggestions, but I wanted to add---baked potatoes (plain or with a little salsa maybe), grilled chicken sandwich at Chick filet, or sushi (the kind without mayo. The wraps are a good idea because you can get what you want on them. And don't forget to take your fiber supplements (such as 2-3 Citrucel tablets) before you eat. With a big glass of plain water.

#23623 - 10/16/03 03:37 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi and welcome to the board!

Michele and Beaglelover had great suggestions. It might help also if you say where you are from, or what restuarants (especially chain) are in your area. Then you can get more accurate advice.

#23641 - 10/16/03 06:07 PM
peaches

Reged: 09/28/03
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

I've also found that if you're on a road trip with only fast food, if you go to Wendy's they have a grilled chicken sandwich (ask for it plain or else they'll load it up!!). I've never tried Burger King's, which I saw was mentioned above, but I do know that this one from Wendy's is for sure safe!

--------------------
It comes down to the art of living on [color/red]

#23642 - 10/16/03 06:47 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Burger king has one too, as well as McDonald's and Chick Filet. Just asked for the grilled and make sure you get it with no mayo. I get mine with mustard, pickles and lettuce and tomato.

#23648 - 10/16/03 08:04 PM
leigh

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: texas

I love Taco Bell! It has not caused any problems for me. I get burritos with no cheese and extra sauce. I really do not miss the cheese as long as I have plenty of sauce. Just be sure to take your fiber and drink water. An added plus is it is cheap!

#23655 - 10/16/03 09:43 PM
LOLA

Reged: 10/15/03

I am from new york, long island, and I go to school in manhattan. I am in and out of pizza places and delis. Around my house I go to TGIFridays, Chilis, Cheesecake Factory, and occasionally Wendy's. I often eat in diners as well. Please contact me with any further suggestions...thanks a million!

#23697 - 10/17/03 08:32 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Wendy's also has baked potatos (make sure it's plain) that can be a life savor when you're on the bland diet and need to eat on the road.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#23802 - 10/18/03 10:11 AM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

All I can really say that's of use is that I finally stopped eating at Chili's altogether, even though there was one right across the street from my college campus, because I could not find one single safe palatable item on the menu. I believe they do have a grilled chicken-vegie pasta, or they did several years ago, but when my mom and I ordered it, it was awful. Sorry....

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3667 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1136

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review