All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Oatmeal
      #23497 - 10/15/03 02:52 PM
NancyS

Reged: 10/15/03

Does anyone else have a problem when eating oatmeal? I'm new to this site and have just begun to incorporate the dietary suggestions. I used to eat oatmeal but found that it made me gassy. But, when I read the dietary recommendations I decided to give it another try. I'm not sure if it's the oatmeal or something else but I'm sure feeling lousy!! I was all encouraged a few days ago when I came across the site...now I'm discouraged again!! I also began using FiberChoice on the same days as I ate the oatmeal. Anyone else have problems with FiberChoice?

HELP!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Oatmeal new
      #23498 - 10/15/03 02:57 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Hi Nancy,

Although a lot of people can tolerate oatmeal, I find that my stomach doesn't like it at all. It makes me gassy and nauseous, so I buy a 7-grain cereal with all different types of safe grains and mix a little bit of honey and cinnamon in it for flavor.

As for the FiberChoice, I've never tried that one so I'm afraid I can't help with that.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#23499 - 10/15/03 03:01 PM
StephS

Reged: 09/11/03

It might have been the fiber supplement and not the oatmeal. Fiber can take a little while to get use to! Keep on trying. Your body might get used to it!

--------------------

Re: Oatmeal (instant) Does anyone use the packet otmeals? new
      #23500 - 10/15/03 03:02 PM
StephS

Reged: 09/11/03

If so what kind do you get? What flavors?

--------------------

#23506 - 10/15/03 03:17 PM
NancyS

Reged: 10/15/03

I used the variety pack of banana, apple crisp and cinnamon roll. I hope it's not the oatmeal because I really like it! ;o) Thanks for your help.

#23522 - 10/15/03 03:53 PM
Ash

Reged: 09/10/03
Loc: Bellevue, WA

Are you having it with soy milk? If so, that could certainly be causing the gassiness if you're not used to it. If that's the problem, try having your oatmeal with rice milk or almond milk.

#23547 - 10/15/03 08:37 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Nancy, I know how you feel. Oatmeal isn't always the safest thing for me to eat, either, and I'm not sure why. I eat it most of the time, but when I'm having problems and need to get stabilized I tend to avoid it. I have tried both packaged and homemade, and both have made me gassy at times, too. I'm not sure what it is, but you're not alone! As for the FiberChoice, that's what I use, and I think it's wonderful. It does take a little while for your body to adjust to it, like any fiber supplement, but it doesn't bother me at all anymore. It seems to be very easy to tolerate. Just checking, though, you don't have the sugar free do you? I bought that once by mistake, and that's NOT good. Just making sure.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#23557 - 10/16/03 12:43 AM
leslierf

Reged: 10/11/03
Loc: Tucson, Arizona

I have always had problems with oatmeal no matter how it is prepared. Even the cookies bother me.
It might be the different flavors or types that bother you, or it might be dairy. Try the Vanilla flavored soy milk with the regular flavored oatmeal, My kids say it's great.
Since I do not love oatmeal, it was no problem for me to cut it out of my diet.

#23569 - 10/16/03 07:36 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Oatmeal is my number one staple! I eat it evey morning! I buy the packets and nuke it with a little rice milk. What we can eat varies greatly though, so it is possible you may be upset by it. Maybe wait till you are feeling better and try it again just to make sure! Don't be discourged, I've been trying for almost 6 months to determine exactly what I can and can't eat and it does get easier. Hang in there!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#23582 - 10/16/03 09:18 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

Check the ingredients because some of the instant flavors have dairy in them.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1072 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2496

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review