All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
why no red meat?
      #234544 - 12/30/05 08:10 AM
ebrbetty

Reged: 03/31/05

I can't seem to find a reason for this except for a post heather put up that it may lead to cancer. I don't seem to have a problem with it if it's lean
thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: why no red meat? new
      #234550 - 12/30/05 08:23 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Here's a link to a previous discussion and within that post there's a link to the section where Heather talks about meat. It seems that some IBSers, after getting stable, are able to tolerate some lean red meat once in a while. However, since you're still suffering from a lot of pain and not stable, how can you be sure it's NOT the red meat that's bothering you? Sometimes the effects of certain trigger foods are not immediate.

Red Meat links

Edited by SPASMTASTICAL! (12/30/05 08:28 AM)

A couple more links... new
      #234554 - 12/30/05 08:26 AM
lalala

These might help you answer some of your questions about red meat and triggers.

Identifying Triggers

From the IBS Diet FAQs :

"The major trigger foods - red meats, dairy, egg yolks, fried foods - are high in fat and, for the meat, dairy, and eggs, also have proteins that are very difficult for the body to digest. They can basically grind digestion to a halt for IBS-constipation folks, or send it spasming out of control for the diarrhea-prone, and result in severe attacks either way."

Re: why no red meat? new
      #234561 - 12/30/05 08:36 AM
ebrbetty

thanks maria,I see a few ppl can eat it. you may be right,it could be hurting me without knowing it.
I just started this "diet" yesterday and am already frustrated I wanted to eat can can of chicken stew,but with all the different veggies etc mixed in I have no idea if its safe,the mixing SF with IF has me confused.
I decided to just have 3/4 cup refried beans with kraft shredded cheese its lactose free

Re: No cheese either - not even lactose free... new
      #234565 - 12/30/05 08:40 AM
lalala

I think you'd be better off with the chicken soup since the vegetables are cooked - this will make them easier to digest. Could you have the soup with rice or some sort of GF crackers? I'm able to tolerate beans, but I know some people can't at first because they're high in IF; again, if you have a bit with something SF, like rice, you should be fine. Remember that avoiding dairy means avoiding cheese without lactose - it's not just the lactose and fat, but the proteins in dairy that can trigger IBS attacks and pain! Please reread the IBS Diet FAQs to get more detailed info on why this can be bad for IBSers.

Re: No cheese either - not even lactose free... new
      #234566 - 12/30/05 08:44 AM
ebrbetty

I have homemade chicken and rice soup in the freezer used organic chicken broth and added peas..that should be fine.
I just asked hubby what he wants for dinner,he said meatloaf I guess not,looks like plain chicken again!!
thanks!

Some can tolerate red meat... new
      #234569 - 12/30/05 08:50 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I'm like you and can tolerate read meat - lean especially - in small amounts with no problem. If I get careless and eat it in large quantities or too many days in a row....I have to cook for two growing boys who LOVE their ground beef! ....then I notice I get yucky.

Avoiding red meat altogether is a good idea if food is your main trigger. Food is not my main trigger - mine is stress. I can tolerate a lot of foods that others here would really get sick over. However, too much of anything, too much fat ect...does effect me. Basic priciple is to avoid known triggers for YOU, and red meat is a huge one. Hope this helps.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Re: Some can tolerate red meat... new
      #234570 - 12/30/05 09:01 AM
ebrbetty

thank you..yes,stress is a big problem for me

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 481 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 950

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review