All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
My Recent Experiences (May be more helpful to IBS-D)
      #234322 - 12/29/05 11:12 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi all,

One of the things that I love about this board is when people post what has worked for them. I thought that there are a few things that have been really helping me lately, that I would share:

The first one is, if you can see a nutritionis/dietician DO IT. Through my job, a thing was sent around saying, "Free Nutritional Advice" so I pounced on it. I met this nutritionist, who is based in another province, but she talks to me at least once a week on the phone and sends me things by post.
Speaking to her was a really eye opening experience for me. I realised that as I have been on this diet for so long, and have gotten so afraid of so many foods (I didn't add the things back in that I should have, I got stuck just off the "What to Eat When You Can't Eat Anything" diet) that my body is really unbalanced and subsequently very unhealthy!
I sent her some copies of my food diaries, and she did a full analysis on them for me. Turns out, I am getting less then 14% of what I should in both iron and calcium! Whoops!! This is a big deal to me 1) As a woman and 2) As someone with D. Both these can be constipating, so she said I needed to get on that right away.
She also said I was likely retaining a LOT of water, which could explain some of my excess weight. I got some food poisoning or something a couple of weeks ago, and sure enough I lost over 8 lbs in 2 days. That's gotta be water.

Anyway, I am rambling but the point is that she was able to point out some of the things I am missing in my diet because I let myself get way off track with foods.

Now, I have made some changes and since I have, I have had the most normal BMs that I have had in MONTHS. And not just for a week, like I have with other stuff that I got excited about and then it stopped working, but for going on 3 weeks now, so I thought I would share them.

1) Every morning, I eat: 3 Tbsps of Oatmeal (the pure kind with no additives or anything) with 1 Tbsp on Oat Bran, cooked in the microwave for 60 seconds with 1/2 cup of water. I eat that with 1/2 cup of Silk Soy Milk (need the calcium!!) and I usually throw some fruit in (thawed frozen berries, raisins or usually a small can of diced peaches, juices drained).
I think that this is the biggest one for me, as every since I started doing this I have had solid BMs. And formed. Which is really, really rare for me. And every day?? It's like heaven!

2) I am taking 2, rather than 1, generic brand children's vitamin a day. Make sure you check labels for ANY sugar alcohols like sorbitol, manitol, etc as these are BIG BAD.

3) I am every day trying to add in a new fruit or vegetable, but very slowly so my anxiety level is low. Like, for three days I ate one grape a day. And I was fine! I also tried one strawberry a day and gradually increased (until I had to throw them out 'cause one berry a day is a long time to have a whole little box! ).

4) Now, this next one is not one I am recommending for everyone as it does go against Heather's Diet and I felt remarkably better on her diet and don't want to discredit anything she says, but the nutritionist also encouraged me to have at least one serving per week of very lean red meat. The reason for this is because my iron levels are so low that I am barely getting a period some months, and she says it is very important I get that up. For me personally, small amounts of red meat do not bother me as much as leafy greens (which have some iron, although a different kind) so I choose this option. The servings I am having are very small.

I have only been at this for just over 3 weeks now, and I am taking baby steps so it will take time but I really wanted to share because my stomach really felt the most "normal" I think it has in years. I am still getting other major problems with reflux and things like that, but my "bathroom habbits" were what concerned me the most and they have been great.

I hope that this helps at least one person out there, I love to hear about people reaching a "so many months" stable and stuff like that and I hope I can post about that soon too.

Also, maybe it would be a good idea for others to post on here a few changes they have made that have really helped them.

Cheers!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Thanks for sharing Stephie new
      #234352 - 12/29/05 12:30 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I'm a C, but thought I'd pick up some helpful knowledge. I totally get the exclusion of foods because of fear! I
hate to think what my calcium intake is!

Did the dietician tell you to eat more whole grains and fiber (that's what they usually say). Or did she think the white stuff was okay?

Great idea for people to share what has helped them. I can't because I'm not doing well...but hope others who are will post....both D, C, and A!

Thanks again!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: My Recent Experiences (May be more helpful to IBS-D) new
      #234381 - 12/29/05 02:48 PM
rn21666

Reged: 09/01/05
Loc: Maryland

Thanks for the info~ you encouraged me to seek a nutritionist in my area. Hopefully your normal streak goes on for a long time and hopefully I can find a normal state.

#234388 - 12/29/05 03:14 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

Wow Stephie...I am so so happy for you. Speaking as a dietician to be, it is sooo important to balance out the diet...very hard given the vicious psychological circle of IBS fears we descend into - but its important to fight those fears. I am soooo impressed with your strength of character to try all these new things. I am curious...what was your previous diet like?

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#234470 - 12/29/05 08:54 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

It's great to hear about your success! You have to keep us posted I'm curious, as a fellow IBS-D who is terrified to try red meat again, how long had it been since you ate it when you reintroduced it to your diet? I never noticed a huge problem with lean red meat before beginning Heather's diet, so I often wonder if I could have some. I worry about my iron intake as well!

#234479 - 12/29/05 09:24 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

It's great to hear you're doing well Stephie, and I hope it continues. I also see a dietician and a naturopath. The advice on what to eat from both have been very similar, and both have said that I can eat lean red meat once or twice a week; however, I was advised to stay away from pork. Good luck with your diet!

White stuff new
      #234486 - 12/29/05 10:10 PM
Stephie

Hi Beth ,

Actually, I was really worried when I sent off my food diary but she was actually very positive. I said something, "I know, I am eating all white breads and things but.." and she interrupted me and said, "No, no, they still count!".
She did say that she is encouraging ALL the women she has been talking to to make sure that they are getting enoug fiber, and that it is especially important for people with IBS but she totally understood the whole soluble fiber being more gentle.
She said that she'd like me to try to branch out a little, thus the oat meal and oat bran (which I swear has helped more than anything else I have tried in over a year), and maybe to try small amounts of whole grain bread rather than white bread and stuff, but to take my time and diary everything and not to feel pressed to _make_ myself eat anything.

She has been really great, and really understanding. I was so glad to have someone not be like, "White bread?? Oh god, no!!" or something.

Hope someone puts in some advice that might help you, Beth, I know D isn't your trouble but maybe someone else will have some helpful tip!

Cheers,
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Hey Dalia!! new
      #234487 - 12/29/05 10:14 PM
Stephie

Hey, I was just thinking about you the other day and wondering how all your training and everything is going!
So, let me know.

She was really stressing the importance of balance, and how totally UNBALANCED I was before.

My previous diet was pretty bad. Basically the same thing every day, never trying new things. Only eating mostly chicken and turkey for meat, very rarely fish. The only vegetables I was eating were potatoes, carrots, asparagus and sweet potatoes. I was only eating applesauce as my "fruit".

Now I am trying to eat more fruit, mostly canned fruits and frozen right now as raw fruits give me trouble but I am trying more and more fresh fruit. I have had some more veggies too.

She is also encouraging me to try to have snack foods like small amounts of almonds and raisins and stuff.

I'll let you know how it's going, if you want. I am excited to find something that might me get rid of some weight and help my tummy!

**hugs**
--Steph

--------------------
IBS-D,pain.

Meat new
      #234488 - 12/29/05 10:21 PM
Stephie

Hi Amanda,
Thanks! I am really excited and hope this really helps me, and then can help other people too!!

I basically had a "no red meat" AT ALL rule in my diet. Once in a while I would "cheat" and eat small amounts of red meat, like trying from my boyfriend's plate or something and a couple of times I made a big mistake by eating at McDonalds.
Other than that, though, I NEVER ate pork or lamb or anything.
I have had it a few times since she said to try, and haven't had any problems with my stomach. I have, however, been getting a really bizarre reaction that is either a fairly severe allergic reaction or a weird reflux reaction that I am starting to think may have been because of the ground beef I had on a couple of occasions. That may be a total individual thing for me, though. Like I said, no tummy troubles.

If you are worried about your iron intake (and other vitamin and minerals, that I had no idea about really!), I think seeing a dietician/nutritionist might help 'cause I am totally clueless and feel like maybe I would have ended up in trouble when I get older if I didn't try to fix it now!

Cheers!
--Steph

--------------------
IBS-D,pain.

Re: That's great! new
      #234490 - 12/29/05 10:31 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I agree - I feel better when I'm eating more balanced meals. I can't remember the last time I had an attack and I have a lot more stamina and energy than a year ago, thanks to this diet and people like you sharing their experiences and wisdom. I still can't do red meat, but I'm not anemic and blood work is normal. It's been about nine years since I've had red meat, so I don't really miss it anymore. Did you have blood work done to determine your iron deficiencies?

Well, mostly, I just wanted to say I'm glad you're finding a way to get more iron and be healthy! And that you're feeling good. That's what counts!

Again, thanks for sharing your story!

Stephie new
      #234505 - 12/30/05 02:05 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I am sooo happy for you that you are getting this advice and getting back on track with food. I heard a dietician on the radio recently talking about getting variety in our diets and pointing out that we all seem to eat the same thing all the time and that over time our body builds up intolerances to it. How many of you have the same things in your supermarket trolley every week? I know I do unless I make a very conscious effort otherwise.

Also I wanted to let everyone know that if you want to check out your diet nutrition wise fitday.com does this if you enter all your foods into it. I got a big shock when I did this last year for about six weeks. I wasn't getting nearly enough vitamin A or iron but was doing great on others like vitamin C. It does charts to tell you what percentage of your recommended daily allowance that you are getting and can be quite frightening. Am thinking of doing it again to keep track for a while and reset my eating habits so to speak.

My "bad Sinead" side lets me cheat every now and then, and I can usually manage a slice of ham or one little bit of bacon without bad side effects. Dairy is my worst and I get stinky wind almost immediately after eating it. I am not really a beef fan so can't even imagine eating it any more but other red meats like ham haven't killed me yet

Thanks for sharing, keep up the good work

--------------------
S.

#234622 - 12/30/05 11:51 AM
Kiwii

Reged: 09/27/05

Hey Stephie,

That's great news!! I think I'll give it a try! I've been running into problems lately, & can't figure it out
So this sounds like a great idea considering how up & down my diet's been lately. Thanx for posting that, I certinly needed it!! Hope you continue with your success!!

--------------------
Kiwi
IBS-C

Thanks for posting this, Steph! new
      #235071 - 01/01/06 05:47 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I love hearing about what works for people

I'm not doing *too* bad right now though I am faltering a little from a nice stable period. Are you still taking a calcium supplement, Steph? I remember a while back you posted that you were taking the chews and it was helping with your D. I was taking a cal-mag supplement but I think the effects of the 2 (GI-wise) were just cancelling each other out. I recently swtiched to a just-Calcium (with D) one and I think it might be helping. Hard to say, I haven't really been very good at taking it lately...lol...

Also your advice re: having a more generally balanced healthy diet is soooo important I think. I think Heather really stresses that a lot - adding in fruits and vegetables safely etc. - but I think a lot of that also gets lost on these boards, so much so that it seems lots of people are fruit and veggie phobic! lol I know I feel a million times better, generally and IBS-wise, when I'm eating a healthier, balanced diet.

Anyway, glad to hear that you had such a good experience with your nutritionist! It's nice to hear success stories about working with professionals about IBS for a change! haha...

Take care Steph!

#235077 - 01/01/06 07:20 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

Thanks steph, I'm inspired and am going to go to a nutritionist too! I haven't been for about 10 years, so i'd say I'm overdue. Thanks for a helpful kick in the butt, to do something I knew I needed but haven put off forever. Dan

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5176 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2250

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review