All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Need advice for C and painful cramps
      #234243 - 12/29/05 07:35 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Right now I have the worst case of cramps and abdominal pain..but I'm also very constipated. So, how do I treat them both without making the other worse?

If I do IF, the cramps and pain will most likely increase. But if I don't, I probably will not be able to go, right?

What do I do? I know I should know this by now....but I'm in so much pain, I can't think straight and need advice guys. Please Help!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need advice for C and painful cramps new
      #234272 - 12/29/05 08:55 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

My cramps usually come with C/bloating, so I feel your pain!

I think the effect you want to go for here is to get everything moving gently. For me, this means having an IF/SF combo in every meal: vegetable soup and sourdough toast, for example. Also, I drink loads of tea and force myself to exercise for at least 30 minutes a day. I hate doing the latter when I feel crampy and gross, but I feel better afterwards. Walking is fantastic - I think it convinces my colon to flow gently along rather than getting tied up in knots.

As with all IBS-C things, this works the best the longer you do it.

For more immediate relief, it's peppermint tea and a heating pad, with an optional cat on top of the heating pad. I'll also revisit the hypno CDs because they have taught me how to (at least partially) release the cramps and relax.

--AC

#234292 - 12/29/05 10:07 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Beth I know the last thing you want to probably do is move but that really helps me. Even if it is walking around my house doubled over. It will help me have a movement. Peppermint if you can stand if. I like tea best because it is soothing to my tummy and the warmth helps me sometimes go. Use a heating pad and if you can't be where you can use one Thermacare makes these stick on pads that you can wear under your clothes and it provides a warm heat for about 8 hours. I use them during my time of the month. Hang in there Bethie, I know it hurts!

thanks Angela new
      #234293 - 12/29/05 10:15 AM
Augie

How do you eat during this time? Do you still eat the IF or do you do the breaking the cycle diet? Or do you still eat normally and still take your usually med/supplements? Should I keep eating fruits with peels on them today? Or go for rice and applesauce or bananas....although those won't help my C at all! In fact...probably make it worse

I just did a little work (left work and got caught), but I don't feel much relief. UGH....I know this will pass, but it still stinks.

--------------------
~ Beth

thanks AC new
      #234295 - 12/29/05 10:19 AM
Augie

I just went for a walk, but it didn't help much.

I usually always eat an SF/IF combo at every meal....so don't know what set this off.

Should I keep eating fruits with peels on them today?

I'll try to keep drinking, although when you feel so horrible in the belly area, I don't want to put anything into my system to make it even fully or set off even more cramps and pain.

Thanks for your continued help and advice...both of you!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: thanks Angela new
      #234332 - 12/29/05 11:27 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

I still eat Sf first then I do eat IF but only on a full belly. See I usually have really bad C and the exlosive D so I am pretty cleaned out afterwards so I don't worry about "plugging" myself up with SF. I guess the more I have been thinking about it I am IBS-A during my attacks. THis morning I had cereal then applesauce for a snack. I ate pretzles and rice with chicken for lunch. But I eat really small portions a lot of times through the day because I can't stand that full bloated feeling if I eat to much at once.

Re: thanks Angela new
      #234361 - 12/29/05 01:10 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Beth,

As a C on meds that are making me more C these days..I'm right beside you

i FINALLY had a BM this a.m.

I ate soooo much IF yesterday. With SF. In fact, I've been doing this the past few WEEKS! Loads of fruits and veggies.

I think my bod finally gave in. "Here's your BM, ma'am".

It does hurt! No doubt about it.

So how did I manage? Lots of yoga on the FLOOR, belly massages, tea, tea, tea, eating more than I felt like I could/should, and adding olive oil to my pasta (not a ton...maybe a tbls. a bowl).

Making myself eat was import. So was eating enough fat. And eating enough IF.

And movement. I couldn't really exercise. Muscle stiffness from the meds took care of that! So I gardened, swept the floor, stuff like that.

HTH...keep posting and keep on keeping on *hugs*

Love you!

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: thanks AC new
      #234363 - 12/29/05 01:13 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Hmm, it could just be one of those IBS thangs... I know that sometimes I can get a bout of cramping C and I have no clue where it comes from!

Anyhow, I would definitely keep up the IF/SF combos: IF to get things moving and SF to give a "cushion". Just keep sipping on warm beverages because dehydration will definitely make your cramping worse! When I get in these situations, I just keep upping my IF and exercise (amount or intensity) until it (ahem) passes. (I also sneak in some regular black tea since I love it and sometimes a gentle dose of caffeine will get things moving.) It isn't a quick fix, but it doesn't swing me over to D, either.

Are you doing the hypno CDs? Do you have a heating pad for your belly? Something interesting to read/watch/listen to? That's how I get over the hump while I'm waiting for the exercise/IF/illicit caffeine to kick in fully....

--AC

AC I LOVE the kitty pic!!!! Beautiful cat *hugs* n-t new
      #234373 - 12/29/05 02:08 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#234506 - 12/30/05 02:40 AM
boo75

Reged: 10/29/05
Loc: Butte Montana

Beth, All good advice: heat, exercise, water, S&IS fiber. Are you taking the flaxseed meal and the triphalla? It has really helped me. Eat the soluble fiber, then as much fiber as you dare, even some unpeeled veg and fruits. I even have been following Bevrs advice: a small bit of bourbon seems to relax the colon and expel gas. Small bit only. Hope this helps. Also I am being a baby and taking Donnatol. It's so good to get some sleep. xo Bette

--------------------
(cool)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 929 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16680

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review