All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
New To This, Got Some Questions
      #233838 - 12/26/05 02:57 PM
GutBuzz5000

Reged: 12/26/05

Hello.
I'm a 21 male and new to this horrible syndrom, its really putting a damper on my life and I just have a couple questions I was wondering if anyone could help me out on.
1. Is whey protein powder a triger food, because I work out alot and it is key to building muscle.
2. If you blend up foods like salads, nuts and cauliflower etc, does this help in the digestion, or should they just be avoided entirely.
3. Is pasta sause a trigger food due to the oil contents, and if so, are there certain kind of sauses which are better than others. Oh yeah, and are jams for bread a no no and far that matter our sugar and cinnamon bad.
If anyone has some input, it would be greatly appreciated.
thank you

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New To This, Got Some Questions new
      #233841 - 12/26/05 03:08 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Please read the diet guidelines . Most of these questions are very basic and are easily answered by reading that.

I would also suggest you get "IBS: The First Year". It's a fantastic book and these boards were started as a resource secondary to the book....ie. come here if you have questions after reading the book! This site is WONDERFUL but it was never designed to do the work of the book and a website will always tend to be more confusing than the book.

#233887 - 12/26/05 09:55 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

I buy a pure whey isolate protein powder from my gym that has no lactose in it. I find that it doesn't bother me like store bought protein powders. The downside to using protein powders is that it can make you constipated. Some people use these powders 2-3 times daily over a long period of time. I try to only use it once a day and for a short term when I'm intensively training.

Edited by Gracie (12/26/05 09:57 PM)

Whey protein powder... new
      #233890 - 12/26/05 11:47 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

ummmm even if it has no lactose in it it's PURE DAIRY. Which means that it's 100% trigger, really no different than drinking a glass of milk. Just so you know...

Re: Whey protein powder... new
      #233948 - 12/27/05 01:40 PM
Gracie

Quote:

ummmm even if it has no lactose in it it's PURE DAIRY. Which means that it's 100% trigger, really no different than drinking a glass of milk. Just so you know...

Yes regular whey is, but not pure whey isolate. Whey protein is a pure, natural, high quality protein from cow's milk, which is a trigger but in its purest form, as whey protein isolate, it contains little to no fat, lactose or cholesterol.

#233957 - 12/27/05 02:11 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

My understanding is that it's not just the fat or lactose in dairy that is a trigger, but that the whey protein itself can cause digestive problems for IBSers.

#233958 - 12/27/05 02:15 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Quote:

Yes regular whey is, but not pure whey isolate. Whey protein is a pure, natural, high quality protein from cow's milk, which is a trigger but in its purest form, as whey protein isolate, it contains little to no fat, lactose or cholesterol.

Yup, I realize that. However, according to this diet, ALL dairy products - EVERYTHING that comes from a cow, regardless of fat, lactose or cholesterol content - ARE TRIGGERS. If you can handle it that's great for you. But I just wanted to make sure that it was clear.

Dairy Proteins new
      #233963 - 12/27/05 02:25 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Here's one of the references for what Spasmatical and Retrograde are saying about whey:

Heather's FAQ

It's worth reading the whole explanation, but the key part is:

Quote:

In addition to fat and lactose, dairy contains components such as the proteins whey and casein, which can cause severe digestion problems.

If you're lucky enough to be able to tolerate whey, that's great, but it is an IBS trigger and may be a problem for other IBSers.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Edited by Sand (12/27/05 02:26 PM)

#233965 - 12/27/05 02:35 PM
DanaNoel

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Houston, Texas

Hey GtBuzz5000,

I drink whey protein powder along with lactose free milk and do fine with it. I have more of a problem with the lactose than the whey. We are all so different. It's realy a trial and error kind of thing.

--------------------
Dana

#233981 - 12/27/05 03:20 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

I use an egg white protein powder. I believe it's lactose, gluten and whey free (I'm not at home to check the label). I love it! If you think whey is giving you troble you may want to give the egg white one a whirl. I think the brand I use is Jay Robbs.

#233983 - 12/27/05 03:21 PM
Gracie

Apparently though, it looks like it does for some and not for others. The dietitians and certified trainers I've worked with know that I have IBS and am also lactose intolerant, and I didn't have a problem with the pure whey isolate when I used it for 4 months regularly. The other whey products I had tried before were a problem for me though.

I guess for those who want to try it, proceed with caution.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 199 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1064

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review