All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
The Debate Over Redmeat
      #230676 - 12/10/05 10:47 PM
scuba

Reged: 12/10/05

Most of the dietary guidelines I have come across have referred to redmeat as a no for those with IBS.

Common consensus seems to be, it is too high in fat, and low in fiber, to be tolerated.

On the other hand, I have spoken with a few people who have splendid knowledge on this subject.

My own personal obseveration has been, redmeat, the fatty type you would purchase at most fast food joints, is imcompatable.

That said, I have been told that if redmeat is low in fat, then having it in conservative proportions should pose no problem.

Just to be clear, I am not speaking about Beef Brisket.
I am talking about filot, round stead, sirlon steak, and Beef at Chinses restaraunts, such as Beef and Broccoli, Pepper Steak.

I most certainly do not want to have to avoid the foods I love, redmeat being one of them, especially if doing so is not necessary.

However, I do not want to jeopardize my gut and its funactility.
My gut functioning properly is my foremost concern when it comes to food selections.
I do though love redmeat, and I feel, if I could treat myself to it, this would make dieting on the whole easier, knowing I can set goals and reward myself, which would also make me happy, relaxed, and reduce stress, something good for IBS itself.

I have contempleted what I have read here, as well as what I have been told by an IBS expert. Perhaps this can be debated before I go placing that order for Beef and Broccoli, or go buy a Sirlon Steak to a satisfactory explanation.

The key here is, lean redmeat consumed once a week, not Big Mac's consumed daily.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

The Debate Over Redmeat is because... new
      #230683 - 12/11/05 04:36 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Red meat is problematic for a lot of people NOT simply because of the fat, but because the proteins are larger than those in poultry, and they are therefore just harder to digest, period.

If you're not completely IBS-stable, I would avoid red meat altogether. Otherwise, I know it's pointless to tell you to avoid something that you're determined to eat, so... go for it, it's your guts. LOL!

Even stable, though, I would avoid the Beef and Broccoli. Chinese restaurants add quite a bit of fat to their cooking process, and this usually ends up in the sauce. Even the leanest, safest white meat poultry isn't safe anymore if the preparation isn't also safe. If you're going to try red meat, stick to something grilled when you go out, and at home, cook it with NO added fat.

Good luck!

Re: The Debate Over Redmeat is because... new
      #230732 - 12/11/05 10:03 AM
scuba

Excellent, helpful post.
Gracios!

I now wonder, might my constipation today be a direct result of eating at a Chinese restaraunt last night?

I ordered, for deleivery, Chicken with Black Bean Sauce.
My thinking was, since this was white meat, it should be safe to have.
Who would have thought this would have so much fat?
I also had Roasted Peanuts earlier in the day, a small proportion.

I now have to question if this coupled with the insoulable fiber in the wrap Friday is responsible for my C today.

Perhaps you would know what I could today to remedy the situation, I don't want to be c for the next several days.
What foods would provide relief?
I am on Benefiber, which seems to ineffective in moments like these.

I emailed Heather to ask her if the book she wrote on dieting would perhaps be my best resource.

Get the books ... new
      #230734 - 12/11/05 10:15 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

I see from your last post that you haven't read IBS: The First Year. That book is ESSENTIAL READING. This board is meant to be a supplement -- it should NOT be your primary resource. Please read the book and then come to the site for clarifications, not the other way around. It works much better that way.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Re: Get the books ... new
      #230742 - 12/11/05 10:45 AM
scuba

This is what I figuered.
For us people with AS, sometimes our minds are running too fast.

Really the things I am looking for is not so much answers, but tools, willpower, to empower me to make informed, safe, difficult choices on my own.

I realize and understand to continously ask small, narrow questions is not going to be an effective tool.

The thing I would like is to somehow get the knowledge and tools so that when I order out food, instead of taking a half hour to deliberate, I already will have the knowledge to understand what to eat, to be able to eat flavorful food, without harming my body or doing other things detremental to my health.
Again, having AS can sometimes make comprehension difficult.

What is AS? new
      #230743 - 12/11/05 10:49 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Not sure what AS is, but the book is your best guide for the questions you are asking.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Re: Get the books ... new
      #230750 - 12/11/05 11:07 AM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

IBS can be different for everyone. One set of answers or tools will not work for someone else. You need to do research, talk to your doctor, and discover what works for you.

Re: The Debate Over Redmeat is because... new
      #230786 - 12/11/05 03:47 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

I notice in general I tend to have trouble with chinese food. I think it's the fat content, because I've noticed when I ask for them to make it low fat, I have less of a problem. If I don't ask for that, then usually always I have stomach problems after. A lot of their sauces are VERY oil filled! And yes, I have noticed that after eating higher fat for a few days, it makes me more C! Remember too, it's not just about the amount of fat you have in one meal, it all adds up throughout the day. Perhaps the peanuts coupled with the sauce later on was just too much fat in one day for you to handle.

Since you really like red meat, I think instead of trying to find ways to eat it, you should just try fake meat Brands such as Morningstar Farms and Boca Burgers are great! At chinese food places, I always order tofu and veggie dishes (ask to make them low fat of course).

--------------------
IBS-C

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2302 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 941

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review