Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
very depressed about this whole thing
      #229128 - 12/04/05 03:18 AM
catnapt

Reged: 10/21/05
Loc: NH

Hi

edited to add- i see that ppl are reading this but no one is responding, even if you have no advice, can someone just let me know you understand? or are my other illnesses making it impossible for ppl to relate?

er how about just a cyber hug?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
i was so happy to find this forum, and i am still grateful to have this valuable resouce and information.
But i am having a hard time sticking to the diet. i have IBS-A (mostly C in past yr or so)
i also have GERD and TMJ.
so i have to find food that are good for all of those conditions.

i now have a horribly excessive post nasal drip that is causing nausea and vomiting and has led to my not being able to eat much of anything at all.

a little research turned up this sad fact: dairy products are a common cause of this over production of mucous.

you may have read in a previous post, i am a milk addict. i drink skim milk only. i have always used milk to help with the GERD- i am seldom hungry in the morning, but will drink some milk or a yogurt smoothie and then i will be ok, GERD wise.

i have tried soy milk and rice milk, i do not like them at all! i have not found almond milk.
another problem i have is that i cannot afford to buy these foods that are so much more expensive than what i normally eat/drink, and are very hard to find (i do not drive)
it is hard for me to get around to different places.

i just do not know how i am going to get by without milk. i have a small amount in my oatmeal or other hot cereal, i have some in tea, if i have to give up drinking it plain, i can do that, but there are very few drinks i like and i do not like tea without milk in it.
(non dairy creamers are out, those are gross)
i know a lot of you may say just bite the bullet and give it up, but this is extremely depressing to me.
i have bipolar disorder, and take lithium, klonpin,buspar, and a very high dose of an SSRI (which i just learned may be why i seldom have the pain that you all have mentioned)

getting depressed is just as serious a problem for me as having IBS.

i like fruit, a lot, but my doctor told me not to drink too much fruit juice because of the high sugar content (i am overwt as well) i have never been able to drink orange juice, the acid in it burns a hole right thru my stomach.

i need things to drink! i want to get a blender and make stuff, but what?
i need to have some cold (or room temp) drink that i can have each day.
i am willing to try soy yogurt in a fruit smoothie if anyone has any recipes.

but soy and rice and almond milk is out, plain tea is too, fruit juice can only be a sometime thing.
OH! i forgot to mention, when you are on lithium you are extremely thirsty ALL the time!! you have to drink a lot to maintain a safe blood level of that drug.

so that is why i have this obsession with drinks. i cant' drink water on an empty stomach. not even room temp.

sorry to sound like i am whining but this whole thing is just getting me so depressed. these are HUGE changes for me, and i am not adjusting very well

althea

Edited by catnapt (12/04/05 08:16 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

{{{BIG HUGS}}} new
      #229152 - 12/04/05 09:18 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Hi catnapt! Welcome to the boards!

Have you looked into Fibromyalgia? TMJ and chronic runny nose are symptoms, along with IBS. I only found out about fibro last year, and I have it (and have for a long time, it seems!). Although the symptoms would seem unrelated, it's a very real disease. Do a search on the Internet for symptoms and see if they correspond to what you're going through.

HUGS to you!!

~nelly~

Drinks new
      #229213 - 12/04/05 02:34 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Try getting used to the soy milk...it took me an age but now I love it AND it's GREAT for both the IBS and my GERDS.

Try herbal teas (not peppermint or ginger).

And yep, you are going to have to bite this bullet at some time! Getting stable is NOT a depressing thought.

I agree new
      #229245 - 12/04/05 05:34 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I know it sucks - there were a lot of things that I was "dependent" on that I had to give up - but sooner or later, you WILL have to bite the bullet and give up the dairy. Period. I know it's depressing now, but trust me, when your IBS stabilizes and you get your life back, you'll forget all about what a pain in the butt it was to give up something that's bad for you anyway!

I have a feeling that a lot of people read your post and didn't reply because they were all going to say the same thing I am, and they didn't want to be the bearer of bad news! LOL You're just going to have to get used to it. Sorry!

*hugs*

Re: very depressed about this whole thing new
      #229247 - 12/04/05 05:44 PM
Lyndsey

Reged: 02/16/05
Loc: Bay Area, CA

i get depressed when i can't eat things sometimes too...like i deal with it, but some days i'm just like why????????? especialy this time of year, i've learned to adapt, for the most, i've been dairy free for 2 years now, but its still hard sometimes, when you want chocolate, or real icecream, i have to settle for my crappy stuff...which i love unless i'm having a dairy tantrum....

most of the stuff you learn is trial and error, which sucks, but thats how we learn. i have learned to get use to soy products for the most, i don't drink soy milk, i have it on my cereal, and i but the yogurts and things are really not that bad...there is a soy pudding thats pretty good too...i don't remember who makes it, but it has a panda on the front...the chocolate one i didn't like, but the vanilla one is pretty good. i know it's not the same, but eventually you get use to it, and its not as bad anymore, unless again, if you have a tantrum about it..i'm pregnant, so these craving i get i can't follow through with of i'll be sick off my butt!! so that sorta sucks...but i'm trying to adapt as well...

we all feel for you, we all know what you are going through...i'm not big on juices, though i drink oj and am ok with it...but for the most i drink gatorade.

the foods can be more expensive..i understand that...becuas i'm pretty darn broke as well...but it's almsot a need of survival...

anyway, hope this helps some how!!
take care
((((((((hugs)))))))))))

Hugs for you!! new
      #229255 - 12/04/05 06:29 PM
mickeymouse

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Canada

Hey Althea,

I don't reply on the boars much, mostly lurk cause I don't have the time (school, work, etc.etc.). So, just a few questions/notes for you:

Have you tried light soy milk? I find it often don't taste as bad. Also, with me, I had to slowly start drinking the stuff, I didn't quite like it at first either, but now I love it. Try it first with cereal (especially a vanilla flavored soy milk, extra sweetness if you like vanilla tastes), or even smoothies (i.e. 1 banana, 1 cup soy, and another fruit such as 1/4-1/2 cup blueberries, a little soy yogurt, a little fibre even...good).

As for GERD, I understand, I always have heartburn (but opted out of getting the horrible pH test done) so I try to avoid those foods that give me heartburn, including: coffee (bad for IBS anyway,though I still need the boost sometimes to help me since I am a C and on SSRI's which made my C worse!), chocolate (bad anyway), all fruit juices (mostly bad), tomatoe stuff (pasta sauce), alcohol (bad anyway), to name a few (I know, horrible isn't it! Just about every good food triggers GERD!!and IBS!)But you can learn to live with it, just takes baby steps. Check out the recipe index, very good recipes and drink mixes there (chai teas rule!!). Also, Heathers book has great recipes.

Have you tried fibre? Most say acacia (found on this website)works for them. However I take benefibre and swear by it, every morning!

Re: your overwt issue, have you tried excercise, even a little walk here and there? It is so easy to get in a rut and not want to do anything, but honestly, it makes you feel better, and great for your health. It not only burns calories and helps with digestion, it gives you a boost of adrenaline and such hormones that put you in a better mood).

I am sure you have heard all this before, I appologize if I am a broken record, but hang in there. Its always helpful if you can relate to someone going through similar experiences (such as people here), and get through it together.

Get well, post whenever you feel like it, and feel better soon!

#229266 - 12/04/05 07:32 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

You definately have to cut out milk because of the sinuses. There also a possibility that you have a high level of candidas in your body that is also causing the sinus problem. You may also be insulin resistant which can contribute to your being overweight, and having a candidas problem. Have you discussed any of these things with your medical doctor or homeopath?

Do you take your probiotics and are you taking enough of it? I find that taking probiotics has helped me tremendously with IBS, and it also fights candidas.

Hope you feel better soon.

#229285 - 12/05/05 01:33 AM
boo75

Reged: 10/29/05
Loc: Butte Montana

Althea, Sorry you are having a bad time with this unforgiving disease. Do try to use the hints on the message boards, etc. I gave up milk, (use rice, which is ok) coffee, beer, wine, chocolate. fat, etc. But you will feel better if you give those up. Are you dealing with a doctor for depression? Exercise is a great antidepressant, too. Good luck, get better. xxxxx Bette

--------------------
(cool)

#229286 - 12/05/05 01:34 AM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

I was so depressed when I came across this board last May that I hated to wake up everyday. I have GERD and was plagued with pain, frequent and urgent D throughout the day. My life really sucked!! Little by little I shut out the world that seemed to me to be filled with people who neither knew nor cared to know how I really felt.

Now I've said all that to let you know that most if not all the people around these boards DO know and care about how you feel. When I cut out the trigger foods and added some meds and Acacia my body and my life began to slowly recover. Giving up milk was not a problem for me but there were plenty of other things on that "cheat sheet" that I wondered if I could eliminate. But you bet my butt that as I improved I'd give up anything, anytime to have the freedom that was offered to me through this diet. Have I slipped sometimes? Sure, but I know what awaits me if I return to my old way of living...depression, pain, D, isolation and desperation.

Hang in and give it time to work and time to re-adjust (if there is such a word) your taste buds. My life is too important to me now to go back to the way it was!

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

#229430 - 12/05/05 02:21 PM
JonnaP

Reged: 11/03/05
Loc: Kentucky

I think the depression is pretty understandable, and I'd say all of us have experienced just what you're feeling.

When I finally figured out what this was, and what my triggers are (fat, artificial sweeteners, red meat, stress... oy, vey, the stress, milk...), I was bummed. I LOVE food, love to cook it and love to eat it. And my favorites? Naturally those foods (the Thai aside) were the ones giving me the most problems.

But... quite honestly.... I'd rather give up foods I like (for now) to get to a point where I'm not hitting the can 10 times a day or more. They're ALL adaptable to this diet. All of them.

The simple fact is... you're going to have to cut out the dairy. It sounds like it's a major, major trigger for you. You also have to remember that not every brand of rice/soy/almond milk is equal. Some are better than others (some are down right awful IMO), and it's all about your taste preferences. I started my soymilk consumption with Chocolate silk long before I really even knew what was going on in my gut. It was a great way to get into soymilk for me (and chocolate isn't a trigger for me... thank GOD!!!!!).

Which would you rather deal with, the relatively short amount of time it will take to get adjusted to life without milk (it's not as bad as it seems), or dealing with painful IBS everyday for the rest of your life?

Personally, I'll take the soy milk over running to the can 10 times a day or more (course, there are times when I think I'd rather have IBS-C over hitting the can so much... and then I slap myself ).

I also can understand the limited access to safe foods. I live in a small town of about 1000, where people look at ya funny when you start talking about soy milk, and the produce section at the one grocery store is woefully lacking. The town where I do my grocery shopping isn't much better. The Wal-Mart at least has organic soymilk, and some soy cheeses. The Kroger on the West Side has lots of products, but they're so spread out you have to know where to look.

It can be daunting, and yes, it can be pricey. But if you take your time while you're shopping, you can do it affordably. Bread and rice aren't that expensive - you don't have to go with fancy names. Hell, I get my 20 pound bag (Yes, 20 pounds, I do a lot of thai cooking) of rice at wal-mart for $8 or $9 (I think....). That damn thing's lasted me six months.

The adjustments aren't really that bad. You can make your own snacks (you end up getting more for the same amount you'd spend on buying the snacks premade), breads, and desserts. Most of the adjustments really don't mean spending that much more money than you did before.

It sucks. I know it sucks. I can't tell you how many times I cover an event where people are (almost litterally) throwing food my way and I can't eat ANY of it... and all I want to do is cry - because I want to eat those things but I know damn well I'll hate myself for it later if I do.

It can be depressing. But once you grab this sucker by the horns and you're controlling it (instead of the other way around) life is SOOOOO much better. It's worth the sacrifice and a little bit of experimentation.

Okay, I'll get off my little soap box now.

I really do hope you get to feeling better... and you will. Just have a little faith.

--------------------
Jonna, IBS-D

#229938 - 12/07/05 02:48 PM
NiNi

Reged: 12/07/05
Loc: Tulsa, OK

Let me preface my comments with:

[[[[[HUUUUUUUUGE CYBER HUGS!]]]]]]]]

I have only been recently diagnosed - only a few weeks ago - so this is new to me too, and at first, I was extremely depressed about it.

I'm from Wisconsin [originally], so I understand how difficult it is to give up dairy - oh believe me, I understand!

I am still struggling with giving up cheese. I still put just the smallest amount of cheese on some of my meals, and I actually do not have a problem with it if it's in small doses...but it's hard when I want to snack on cheese, because I really can't anymore. My days of eating an apple with string cheese are over, and...it could have made me sad, but in this day and age, there are so, so very many food options available to us! - I'm seeing this as a reason to explore more possibilities rather than become restricted. It takes some work, but it is possible!

For milk, why don't you start out by getting Vanilla soy milk [my favorite is Silk] and drinking half skim milk combined with half Soy milk? - Then slowly increase it to 1/4 skim milk to 3/4 soy? Then try a whole glass of vanilla soy milk? I bet you'll actually love soy milk - especially vanilla. I love it so much, I don't even like milk anymore! Me, a Wisconsin girl, doesn't like milk?! That's right!

Speaking of Wal Mart, there is a "generic" vanilla soy milk available in all Wal Marts for less than "Silk" brand, and it's just as good. I've actually been pleasantly surpised at the amount of veggie "meat replacements" now available in Wal Mart, AND soy cheeses. -And truly, not for that much money. As another post said above, rice is SO cheap! As are potatoes and pasta. It doesn't have to be expensive.

I look at it this way. The budget that would have been devoted to meat, fats and "bad" dairy now goes towards a WORLD of "safe" foods that are not as bad or restrictive as you'd think.

You may actually like this new way of eating! Just be patient with yourself and take it one day at a time. Try to slowly wean yourself off of dairy. As a matter of fact, now that I've written this, I'm going to try the same with cheese! I'm going to try blending half "real" cheese with half soy cheese and then slowly increase the soy cheese...I have a feeling that I'll become accustomed to soy cheese AND even start liking it.

You can overcome this. And we can help you!

--------------------
-NiNi

For your post nasal drip... new
      #229952 - 12/07/05 03:27 PM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

Have you tried using a neti pot and saline water to rinse out your sinuses? I do it daily, and my post nasal drip is gone. If you can't find a neti pot in a health food store, Longs Drugs sells a saline rinse kit that comes with a squeeze plastic bottle (it's easier to use, too).

Good luck!

#229969 - 12/07/05 04:15 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hi there!

Please don't feel bad.

Please don't feel alone.

Sometimes we just miss someone's post.

I can't have soy milk rice milk OR almond milk. do I have IBS...I have interstitial cystitis (which has another diet I have to eat for) as well as several other illnesses (including bipolar).

I would love to have a bowl of cereal. With ANY kind of liquid. But I can't.

It IS hard but we will get through it together...

You can do this! *hugs*

Always remember...you're not alone

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Ruchie, why don't you try-- new
      #229983 - 12/07/05 05:56 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Ruchie,

I pour Rice Dream on my cereal but do not consume it. I dump it (the Rice Dream) after it wets/lubricates my cereal. Why can't you use rice milk, just out of curiousity?

Kate.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 826 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2498

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review