Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
For those who eat gluten free?
      #228737 - 12/02/05 09:17 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Why do eat gluten free?
1. Do you have Celiac Disease?
2. Do you have positive gluten antibodies?
3. Are you just experimenting on your own and found that you feel better?
4. Do you eat totally Gluten Free, or just Wheat Free?

Thanks to all who respond.

I have been tested and over and over have high gluten antibodies, but didn't think the GF diet helped me.(Turned me from chronic D to chronic C, but all other symptoms are just as bad, including pain). But maybe I need to try it again, along with more SFS and/or Miralax. I get conflicting advice from doctors on whether or not I can eat gluten or if I should just abstain from wheat or if I should eat anything without worry.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: For those who eat gluten free? new
      #228944 - 12/03/05 04:36 AM
uwponine

Reged: 03/19/05
Loc: Wisconsin

1. Don't have celiac
2. no antibodies
3. total self-experimentation
4. total wheat free, just about GF

I avoid all major gluten sources, like oats. I don't worry about other gluten sources like toothpaste. And, it helps. It's a real pain at times but it's worth it. It takes a long time like a month to notice results but if I cheat and have a granola bar w/ oats, I totally notice. With major gas and bloat. Feel free to ask me any questions. I've unfortunately been doing this for years and I don't even think of it anymore.

--------------------
IBS-C with major bloat!
Gluten Free Vegan

#228946 - 12/03/05 04:47 AM
Lisa S

Reged: 01/02/05
Loc: Nova Scotia

Hi! I have been on and off wheat for years but totally feel better when I'm off. (Yeah, I know so why don't I stick to it? Life gets crazy.) Recently, I have been eating gluten free and that definitely helps with the constipation and the fatigue! I am mostly dairy free also but should be a little more diligent with this. I haven't been formally tested but many naturopaths suggested I try this route and I think they're right! Anyway, let me know if you need any ideas or recipes.
Good Luck!
Lisa S.

#229008 - 12/03/05 10:43 AM
jamiep

Reged: 12/21/04
Loc: Arroyo City Texas USA

Augie,

I realize I am not the poster child for gastric health right now. But I wanted to answer your question. I am gluten free because of celiac diagnosed by biopsy. I'm not sure if you just don't know or just didn't mention it but to be gluten free you have to stay away from Wheat, rye, barley and Oats. They all contain gluten. It does take a month to 6 weeks to get results though and you have to be very vigulent because it's in allot of things you never would think of. The delphi forums has a celiac board that has a pretty comprehensive list of things you can and can't eat, by brand, if you are truly gluten free. You might want to take a moment to check it out. I'll try and post the address here for you. It's a long one and not one of my tallents! Delphi Celiac Forum I hope it works. (It worked!!!!!! HaPpY dAnCe! HaPpY dAnCe!)

Love,

Jamie

#229033 - 12/03/05 01:30 PM
arafel

Reged: 11/05/05
Loc: Amherst, Ma

Why do eat gluten free? - My mother suggested I try giving up gluten about a year ago
1. Do you have Celiac Disease? - I don't know
2. Do you have positive gluten antibodies? - I tested negative, but had been gluten free for a long time at the time of my test
3. Are you just experimenting on your own and found that you feel better? - Yes, and everytime I broke my diet I would have HORRIBLE pain which got worse the longer I had not eaten anything with gluten.
4. Do you eat totally Gluten Free, or just Wheat Free? - At this point I am entirely gluten free, including no oats or anything that has a high risk of contamination. I am certainly still having a lot of trouble, but I am no longer incapacitated.

#229037 - 12/03/05 02:29 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Very interesting comments, everyone! I have high gluten antibodies and ate gf for many years. I also noticed a positive difference with my mood disorder and epilepsy with the removal of gluten from my diet. My M.D. also highly recommended the removal of gluten from my diet.

I haven't been completely gf, lately. Most gluten products/foods violently disagree with me.

Kate, IBS-D.

So what do you guys eat? new
      #229052 - 12/03/05 03:22 PM
Augie

What type/brand of bread do you eat that is safe? What cereals, especially dry?

How do you get enough fiber in your diet?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: So what do you guys eat? new
      #229129 - 12/04/05 04:05 AM
Lisa S

Reged: 01/02/05
Loc: Nova Scotia

There are lots of great products on the market that are GF. But there are also some that are terrrible! Visit your local health food store. I live in a small town but can still get breads, cereals, etc. Also, I make my own too (not bread). As I write, I am cooking up some flax pancakes that are GF and DF. Yum! Did you know that a lot of gluten sensitive people are also dairy sensitive? Anyway, good luck! It is possible to eat quite normally!
Lisa S

So does this mean we might all be helped by trying a GF diet? new
      #229381 - 12/05/05 10:51 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Have any of you tried one and it didn't help? I think this post may warrant all of us unstable IBSers to try eating GF. But that would be hard and may complicate eating for IBS way.

How about Spelt bread? Is that okay?

Thanks for your reply new
      #229399 - 12/05/05 12:53 PM
Augie

I was wondering if you could recommend some name brand breads and cereals that are gluten free and IBS safe?

I had a hard time doing both diets and getting enough fiber in the diet with my cereals and breads.

--------------------
~ Beth

I do need ideas and/or recipes new
      #229401 - 12/05/05 12:56 PM
Augie

Specifically for my sandwhich bread (which I eat every day almost) and dried cereals which I snack on all day. All the rice based GF products are low in fiber and contain some IBS triggers (egg yolks, fruit juices). And the rice products tend to constipate me worse.

Can you recommend some brands for cereals and bread, please? How do you eat IBS and GF safe at the same time?

--------------------
~ Beth

Cyndy new
      #229441 - 12/05/05 02:47 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Ruling out specific food insensitivities is "supposed" to be part of the IBS diagnosis. I tried going GF for 6 weeks to see if it helped (if you are gluten insensitive, going off it should make you noticeably better) and it didn't...so I reintroduced it (and didn't get worse). I already know a bunch of things I'm insensitive too as I had rounds of testing (inc. exclusion diets) years ago.

If going GF doesn't help, don't stick to it for it is HARD!

bump for GF bread and cereal ideas, please new
      #231462 - 12/14/05 07:19 AM
Augie

along with meal plan ideas that are also IBS safe!

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 293 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1803

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review