All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
Re: where are all the C people? new
      #229147 - 12/04/05 09:05 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I'm not on the diet because it has too many triggers for my D. I hear it's helped C people though, and others with milder D than I have. All the insoluables like the fruits, tomatoes, asperagus, etc. wreak havoc on my D. I cut out all the acidy foods too, because they give me pain (I don't have GERD, but do have some gastritis so things like lemon juice and tomatoes rip right through me).

Sadly there's no perfect diet for everyone, but the guidelines of Heather's diet are great in general. She can just tolerate a lot more foods than some of us can, so take every recommendation with a grain of salt. Trial and error is going to tell you what works best for you!

~nelly~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

HEY CYNDY new
      #229176 - 12/04/05 10:31 AM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

im a Cer and im still around, i just havent been posting. been caught up with personal things that im lucky to check new updates!!! in reguards to your Q about this site being helpful for D's..im not too sure! i dont strictly follow heathers diet b/c my diet is already pretty strict. i still to buying safe fruits and veggies just like described in her Foods' Lists but as a Cer, i just stick to my supplements and try to eat normally with exceptions. good luck!! hopefully some more Cers reply to this;)

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

Re: where are all the C people? new
      #229185 - 12/04/05 11:26 AM
isabel1

Reged: 06/02/04

I'm not really sure how to use this forum but here goes. I am a diagnosed ibs c person. I'm going to be seventy-two and have had this problem all my life. My gastro put me on Zelnorm about a year and a half ago. Without it my bowel is totally shut down, but I'm having a great deal of difficulty with this med. Perhaps it is because of my age. It has taken a large psychological toll on me. I take 6mg every other evening, and those evenings are miserable. The med either doesn't work or I get the runs all evening. It limits my life severely, I can't go anywhere or do anything on the nights I medicate, and if the med doesn't work I'm very uncomfortable. I have been pretty much on Heather's diet, sometimes I think it helps, other times I go off and eat lots of whole grain and fresh fruit. My doc knows about this but doesn't seem able to help. There is a large mental component to this problem because now I expect problems on my "Zelnorm nights." Is anyone else having this difficulty, or perhaps my age is a factor.

Old and desparate
Iz

I agree! new
      #229257 - 12/04/05 06:39 PM
mickeymouse

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Canada

Do what works for you, if the diet doesn't work completely, try experimenting (while still avoiding the trigger foods), by adding a little more IF to your diet. With me, broccoli is a bad trigger, not for C but for gas/bloating. But I find the added fibre (such as benefibre for me, acacia for others) help wonderfully. Just note, you do have to give it a few days to kick in, don't expect a fibre supplement to work the next day, it takes a few. I also find small meals...if I over eat at a single sitting I am sick for the rest of the day!

The diet is working for me .. new
      #229296 - 12/05/05 06:35 AM
crew

Reged: 06/24/05

... and I'm a C'er! I went through the exact same feelings as you .. feeling overwhelmed and hopeless, wondering if I was doing something wrong, wondering if the diet just plain didn't work ..

I actually started over a few times convinced that I had done something wrong. But, after stressing and stressing, finally one day something clicked. I was able to start noticing what foods I needed to eat to have a BM. For the most part I just used common sense and said to myself "Ok, I have had oatmeal and pasta today .. thats a lot of SF. I feel like I have to go, but I'm just C. Well, I need some IF then. I'll make a smoothie with strawberries and blueberries ... orrr I'll make some peas" I still do that today, and it works every time. I also realized how important my water intake is. Without the water, I would NEVER go.

I will say this, I follow everything about Heather's diet .. except, I do not take an SFS. Most people on this board swear by their SFS, so b/c of that, I would stick to it if you are doing that already. But, the fact that I don't and I am still stable, I think says something about the diet. My advice would be to try making the majority of all your meals SF and add in a little bit of IF. When you get to point to where you feel like you could go but are C, eat some berries or IF veggies and drink some water. See if that doesn't help. Also, and this may sound so silly, but try and move around while, or after, you eat the IF. Bounce or something ... just get the poo moving!

Other than that .. I wish I had better advice to give. I hope you find relief soon!

I'm glad it's working for you new
      #229373 - 12/05/05 10:35 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

I can't believe you are stable without an SFS. I thought that was pretty much a given in order for us C's to "go".

I'm doing exactly what you did with the SF and IF...but it isn't working for me so far. How long did it take you to get results? I've been at it a long time now, and still don't know what foods help/hurt.

Are you agreeing that it help C, or that it's better for D?-nt new
      #229374 - 12/05/05 10:36 AM
Cyndy

Broken Bear new
      #229376 - 12/05/05 10:41 AM
Cyndy

I've seen some of your "reporting in" posts and you eat so much IF cereals on an empty tummy (ie, without SF before) or you eat fruit without an SF before? So, this works for you? It seems not to coincide with the guidelines.

I'm not judging...I'm happy if it works for you!!! And thinking maybe I need to try this approach instead. I'm scared to not take the SF food before though. I do everything according to the guidelines and still it doesn't work.

thanks for all the replies, guys and gals new
      #229377 - 12/05/05 10:44 AM
Cyndy

I appreciate everyone's input. I'm still confused as to what my body needs/wants though. I know that many of the folks who have left the board are definitely finding better success with a different approach. That's whats so confusing.

I will just keep trying this diet until I'm too tired and frustrated to do it anymore.

How long should I give it for a fair chance? I have been at it for nearly a year.

Do you think this diet works for Everyone with C or just some?

I think I may be "thinking" too much too new
      #229378 - 12/05/05 10:48 AM
Cyndy

Like when some C say bananas cause C and others say they eat them everyday. That's confusing and stressful...which isn't good for the IBS anyways.

Maybe it's time for a break. BTW, I never find your posts repetetive. Sometimes we need to be reminded over and over what has helped certain people. It gets confusing and the reinforcement and reminders help.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4846 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 39035

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review