Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
everything gives me gas
      #228038 - 11/29/05 02:41 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

hi everyone
I don't post here very often - maybe every several months or so. I am an IBS-C who is doing better than last time I wrote. I try to follow Heather's diet although much of Heather's "safe" foods I have trouble with. I have such a problem with gas. Virtually every vegetable gives me massive bloating and pain, as does wheat (even white flour). I've tried beano and charcoal capsules and cooking things really well and haven't noticed any results. I have already cut out the obvious gas-causers (onions, garlic, sorbitol, etc etc) but I am thinking of cutting out all sources of sugar (although I don't eat that much - bananas, maple syrup on my oatmeal, etc) to see if that helps. But frankly, having already cut out most existing foods I am loathe to give up any more. Any advice? I recently switched SFs to Heather's acacia, maybe that will help improve my gut flora so I will digest things better? What is it about people with IBS that gives them so much gas - because I don't think it's just a motility issue (the gas not passing through properly), it seems to be a production issue too!

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: everything gives me gas new
      #228070 - 11/29/05 03:56 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Have you been tested for celiac (gluten intolerance)? Check out celiac.com for more information. This is often overlooked or not detected (false negatives on the tests).
Have you tried rice and potatoes instead of white flour products? Maybe that's a place to start and see if you see a difference.
I had terrible trouble with vegetables when I first got started. It takes a while to find out what you can and can't tolerate.
I would suggest sticking to as many of the SF veggies as you can possibly get. Then, try to sneak in a small portion of another veg (ie. well cooked peas or pureed or mashed broccoli). Make sure you're taking them in with lots of SF.
Also, walking after meals can also aid digestion and decrease gas. Seriously - this one can help A LOT.
Have you tried fennel tea? Crush a tablespoon of fennel seeds and steep in a mug of boiling water. Try several strong cups a day and see if you notice a difference.
I hope this helps - I'm not sure if you've heard these suggestions before. If you have, my apologies!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Everything gives me gas too new
      #228172 - 11/30/05 06:53 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I am the same way..I eliminated all possibly gas producing foods (onions, garlic, brocolli, inulin, soy, wheat....anything you could think of that may produce gas. I don't drink carbonated beverages, I cook all fruits and veggies....and nothing has helped. It doesn't matter what I eat. I never cheat on the EFI diet. Never!

I also drink fennel tea all day, take a supplement called Gas Stop, take probiotics and digestive enzymes. All to no avail. I still have bad smelling gas everyday. It is both embarassing and it hurts physically. I detest it!

If you think of anything to help, please post. Do you get bloated everyday along with the gas? I do.

What SFS are you taking? That could be a problem. I have tried about 5 and it doesn't matter...my gas is the same on all of them. I don't get it either. This seems like a separate issue from the motility problems. So I ask too...why do I (we) have so much gas?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#228479 - 12/01/05 10:22 AM
Meryl36

Reged: 09/03/04
Loc: Dallas, Texas

I have the same problem too. I have a BM almost every day or every other day & still have gas & bloating all day long. The only time I get real pain is on those days when I don't have a BM at all.
The best thing I've found is VERY small portions of foods. As a result,I'm usually hungry all day but that's better than being bloated & gassy (at least while I'm at work). For example: I'll have about 6-7 grape tomatoes as a snack & I'm alright. Then about an hour later I'll have 1/2 a turkey sandwich with mustard. About 2 hours latter I'll have the other half. It sucks having to eat this way but, along with all the other crap I do/take, it's the only way I've managed to live with it.
Hope that helps.
Meryl

#228542 - 12/01/05 01:01 PM
taroh73

Reged: 12/28/04
Loc: chicago, il

I actually am able to eliminate a good deal of gas by not taking any SFS... I'm able to stay pretty stable by eating only SF and almost NO IF. I was a SEVERE C, and despite what is logical, even little bits of IF stop me up.

Re: cutting out SFS new
      #228543 - 12/01/05 01:03 PM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

did you try several different SFSs before deciding to eliminate them?

i just know some of them give people gas, varying from person to person.

but hey, if you found what works for you, rock on!

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

#228670 - 12/02/05 02:40 AM
Lisa S

Reged: 01/02/05
Loc: Nova Scotia

Hi! I'm pretty new at this. Do any of you have tummy gas that puts pressure on your diaphragm and causes some breathlessness? When I have an episode of constipation, gas, bloating, pain, I often will get this sense of breathlessness, too. Yuck! Let me know.
Thanks,
Lisa S.

Are you swallowing air? new
      #228671 - 12/02/05 03:27 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I swallow air--this causes big time gas/pain/pressure. (It's challenging for me not to swallow air as I do have asthma)

I take Gas-X and that helps stop the air from going in my G.I. tract. There are other products that do the same thing.

Truly, though, BEANO helps tons for challenging foods, including grains. Ditto for digestive enzymes. Breathing/yoga/hara massage/a brisk walk do wonders, too.

Kate.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2041 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1800

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review