All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
work & IBS
      #227885 - 11/29/05 05:15 AM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

Hi everyone... I have a question. I have been having a terrible time getting myself back on track and am really feeling down. I have no confidence in my stomach that I will be able to make it through a day at work. Today I called in beacuse I woke up with terrible cramps and some D. I couldn't even tell them it was my stomach again, so I said I have a terrible cold (which I am actually just getting over). How do you guys deal with the occasional- almost too frequent missing of work? I feel just awful about it, but know I can't make it in... any advice? I just feel like my life is becoming crap because I never feel well... I had gallbaldder surgery a bit ago and felt great for awhile, but now my C is back big time and always causes cramps and bloating... I just want to live again-- I'n only 22...any pick me up ideas?? Thanks!

--------------------
IBS-A

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: work & IBS new
      #227886 - 11/29/05 05:31 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

How's your boss? I used to be a teacher and was terrified of having to leave the room/school day because of an attack. Finally, I confided in my principal. I briefly explained IBS and how I had good days and bad, and sometimes, I needed lots of potty time. He was SOOOO understanding. He even arranged for a back up teacher (the resource teacher) to pop in my room if I needed to leave.
My point, if you think your boss is an understanding person, consider confiding in him/her. If you don't think they'll be understanding, get a Doctor's note. Be very open in stressing that you are NOT taking advantage and that you are making every effort to make it into work.
Have faith in people. Often, you will be pleasantly surprised.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#228009 - 11/29/05 01:23 PM
taroh73

Reged: 12/28/04
Loc: chicago, il

Gosh, I wish I had advice, but really I have the same question. How do those of you who work FT at real jobs do it? I have an M.A. and have been stuck at a job that barely requires a high school education, simply b/c I need the freedom of a non career job. I can't be too tied to responsibility because I need bathroom freedom and need to be able to call in sick without work needing me. HOW DO YOU DO IT! I tried a real job for a few months and couldn't do it.

Re: I'm with you!! new
      #228015 - 11/29/05 01:32 PM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

I have a B.S. and it's doing me absolutely no good because I am too sick to work!! I went back to work twice and had to quit because my body can't handle the stress.

Doesn't it suck??!!!

Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

I agree with Alicia! new
      #228029 - 11/29/05 02:19 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

My old boss (I wish he was still my boss! ) was GREAT about my IBS. It takes alot of stress of you too.

Have you considered hypno? Sounds like you need to deal with the anxiety too.

#228176 - 11/30/05 07:03 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

My coworkers know about my problems and are great. Honestly, if I didn't work, I would be even more symptomatic and obsessed with my pain. By forcing myself to go to work, I am trying to live as normal a life as possible.

I'd rather be at work and in pain than home alone and depressed that my IBS has stolen yet another area of my life.

Yes, it is hard. Yes, many days I struggle to get through the day. But overall, it is a good thing for me to try and work.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

This is so dead-on! new
      #229011 - 12/03/05 11:10 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Beth is right ... if you have IBS, you NEED to work. Whether your work is an 8-5 job or being a full-time mom. You need to live your life. Also, for most people, you also need money to pay your bills and avoid being evicted in a heartless-Dickensian-landlord manner.

Admittedly at this point my problems are almost certainly not 100% IBS, but, over the last 3-4 months, my health problems have gotten really severe. My husband and I even discussed my quitting my job. (It took a LONG time for him to even consider my doing this -- I bring in 55% of our household income.) I ultimately have decided to stick it out at all possible -- because I can't let this thing win. If I quit my job, I'll sit at home with my heating pad and become even more afraid to leave the house.

I've had to shift my attitude, too. It used to be if I had a bad attack that I would stay home all day, feeling weak and drained while I rested. Now, if I have a bad attack, I ride it out and go to work afterwards.

Yeah, my life has suffered because of this. I never see anyone except my husband. My house is a wreck -- when I AM home, I'm so wiped out that I'm lucky if I can get the laundry done. I used to be the kind of person who did a super-thorough house cleaning once a week, and now it takes me weeks to scrub out the shower. (OK, that is gross, and I am kind of sorry now I admitted it.) I should ask my husband to do more around the house, but I hate doing so because I feel so guilty about him being burdened with this stupid bundle of health problems instead of a real wife. So, yeah, it's Saturday, and the dishes have been sitting in the sink since Tuesday. UGH. I so hate myself sometimes.

Um, actually, I guess I am not exactly generating a ringing endorsement for working. Honestly, though, it's getting out of the house, not working in itself. I think staying at home will, at first, be an enormous psychological relief, but will ultimately work against you because you'll just grow more and more anxious at the prospect of leaving the house.

Like everyone else, I have the whole attack paranoia thing going on, but it's really more of just the kind of BLEARGH! this sucks! lurking at the back of my mind more than anything else. I guess you have to remember that no one ever dies from humiliation, and people are typically a lot nicer than you'd think.

I really recommend talking to your boss and getting a note from your doctor. I finally did both and feel a lot better for it. You don't have to go into details. In fact, most people won't want you to go into details. (Although, pre-IBS, I once had a boss who asked for details every time I called in sick. "What kind of sick?" he'd always ask. "Are you throwing or are you having diarrhea?" After that I always make sure I call in sick like two hours before the workday begins so I am sure to get voicemail.) You can get a note from your doctor that's sort of vague and have them add to call with any questions. When I asked for a note, I said PLEASE, make it non-embarrassing (our HR chick is, um, sort of a gossip), and they were OK with that. I'm not sure legally what you are required to tell vs. what they are allowed to ask. My doctor just added at the end that they could call with any questions, but my workplace was OK with it.

So this is sort of a novel, but, the long and short of it is, you are really probably better off working. It is also an incredible motivator to make yourself get aggressive with getting ahold of your IBS. Hang in there!!! Stay on the diet and pursue any options you think you have of feeling better. If you have non-IBS issues nag your doctor about getting them resolved.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Wow, great post Jen! new
      #229053 - 12/03/05 03:28 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I agree with you 100%. (and my kitchen floor hasn't been scrubbed in months, let alone the bathroom) Working takes pretty much everything out of me. But I'm not alone all day obsessing about my GI pain and getting even more depressed and sad. I'm trying to live a more "normal" lifestyle.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

WORK AND IBS new
      #229071 - 12/03/05 05:21 PM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

I agree that you should keep working and regain control of your life. This is what I am about to do.
I work at a hospital 52 miles from where I live. Everyday I am in fear that I will have that awful gas while riding to work in the vanpool. Once I arrive to work, I cannot have a bm while I am there. I have 18 years of service at this job and am retiring December 20th.

I am not retiring from work all together, I am seeking a job at a hospital in the city I live in. I have found it to be too stressful to commute 102 miles per day.

The people at my job think this is all in my mind even though I have given them a doctors note and diagnosis.

The one thing I have going for me is I can draw my retirement even though I am not at retirement age. You can draw your retirement after ten years of service.

I will be seeking another position after the holidays, that is the only reason I am leaving. It is not easy working everyday and coping with IBS.

Try to find a job that you enjoy and provides the least amount of stress possible. We will always have IBS, but it does not have to constitue our lives. We need to work, I do, in order to pay my mortgage and other bills.

I am steping out on pure faith and I refused to believe that I will not find a job that I will be more happier in.

You can do it, all you have to do is believe.

Praying for you.
Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

hey there-- new
      #229181 - 12/04/05 10:55 AM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

i had been having difficult work problems too! as a result i ended up quitting my job, mainly for my IBS reasons--but also b/c the job was too stressful for me and causing me only further distress in my symptoms. im a C, the opposite of you, but i think everyone can relate with the work industry giving us a hard time. first of all, what is your job? i see youre only 22. im only 20--i worked part-time @ a panera-bread and also did babysitting on the side 3-4 times/week. the fact that i worked such long hours at panera and could never eat when i was hungry caused some problems. not to mention that im a vegan so nothing there was really fitting and it was also quite the opposite of "safe"! i mentioned to my boss that i had a digestive disorder that he was sympathetic towards b/c his wife also had one: ulceritive colitis. although if i called in, i usually used another reason aside from IBS [ie: cold] have you tried talking to a supervisor who you feel comfortable discussing this problem with? most people dont understand until you break it down for them. for the D you said you had, you could try the BRAT diet [bananas, rice, applesauce and toast] i read that helps for Ds. as for the C you said youre experiencing, have you tried psyllium? it causes bloating in some people so if you try it, maybe take it at nighttime so you sleep thru the bloat. i take it and its really good and always keeps me going. i also drink acacia-peppermint tea in the morning. so i dose both SFS at the start and end of my day. that seems to help keep things balanced but the thing with my work is i wasnt able to have such a balanced way of doing things. so my IBS took a toll and i felt terrible hopefully that helps you some. sorry the post was so so so long!! good luck!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

#229944 - 12/07/05 03:04 PM
NiNi

Reged: 12/07/05
Loc: Tulsa, OK

I'm very, very fortunate because my manager was once diagnosed with I.B.S. - It turned out to be gall bladder for her, but she remembers the pain quite well, and so she's not only sympathetic, but empathetic.

However, her boss [my "UBER" boss LOL] may not quite understand it the way that she does. She hasn't really given me a hard time about missing a lot more work lately, but I'm contemplating having a "sit down" with her, just to give her the courtesy of letting her know why I've been sick, and also, to let her know that I am working it out, and that my body will find a way to become regular again, and all will be normal.

Another thing that I did - the first week that I felt GOOD after five weeks of feeling awful and missing 1-2 days a week - was I told my manager when I was feeling GREAT too. It helps me psychologically, because I don't feel like a "whiner," and it maintains a feeling of intimacy with my boss that can help bridge the gap that I feel from missing work.

When I am feeling great, I make my days at work REALLY count and do all that I can to remind my managers why I'm a valuable employee. Sometimes, I work ahead, just in case I may be sick. That way, when I am sick, I'm not really inconveniencing other people in my department. I'm lucky that my job allows that ability, so it's hard to offer up my solutions as solutions for you...

Just be very open and honest with your boss[es], and when you DO feel great, let them see a smile on your face and show them that you're still a great worker - that when you're "on" you're "ON!"

If my job ever gets to where it is too full of anxiety [I work in a deadline-driven environment], I may actually seek a new field. But for now, communication has done me WORLDS of good, and has kept my track record at work golden.

--------------------
-NiNi

#230111 - 12/08/05 10:41 AM
Dajara

Reged: 12/01/05
Loc: Medicine Hat. AB. CAN

I'm 22 as well, and as i have mentioned in other posts, I have had ibs-d as far back as i can remember.. It got really bad when I was about 6 years old, but anyways, I work mon-fri, 8am-5pm in an office in a busy car dealership, and my boss couldn't be more understanding. I told him durring my interview before I even got the job that I did have times where I would be fine but there were others that would get really really bad.
I have never needed a Dr. note unless I was gone for more than a few days at a time, but so far, if i'm having really bad attacks, then i call in for the day(s) and normally once whatever trigered it is out of my system, I go back into work for a couple hours get what *needs* to be done, and then go home. It also helps having a bathroom right outside my office. It does get better, and if you are having d, then immodium can be your best friend...

#230112 - 12/08/05 10:46 AM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

Thanks everyone..it is SO nice to know that I am not alone. I just scheduled an apointment with a psychologist also to see if maybe I need someting to help me get over this big hurdle...I also have an appointment with a GI for a firm diagnosis of IBS. After a false celiac diagnosis and galbladder surgery, I want to see if the IBS diagnosis I got at age 16 is now firm...I realize that might mean my first colonoscopy, but if its needed, I'll do it. Thanks for the support!

--------------------
IBS-A

#230127 - 12/08/05 11:12 AM
JonnaP

Reged: 11/03/05
Loc: Kentucky

I'm fortunate/unfortunate to work in a very small office with a small staff totalling five folks, and the bathroom is maybe six feet from my desk (a godsend when the IBS was flaring up in a paritcularly evil manner.... damned Splenda).

Fortunately, I AM the boss, so I don't have to deal with an uncaring boss... and my employees know I have IBS-D. But even before I got this position, my boss was very sympathetic (course, that was pre-diagnosis).

I just feel fortunate that my IBS isn't so bad that I've had to miss work (other than the day off I took for the colonoscopy).

The worst part about working and IBS for me is that my schedule is erratic because of the events I have to cover. Planning meals around that is a nightmare... so I just make sure I have lots of safe snacks and tea.

I love my electric teapot muchly, yes I do.

--------------------
Jonna, IBS-D

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1152 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3303

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review