All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Re: work & IBS new
      #229944 - 12/07/05 03:04 PM
NiNi

Reged: 12/07/05
Loc: Tulsa, OK

I'm very, very fortunate because my manager was once diagnosed with I.B.S. - It turned out to be gall bladder for her, but she remembers the pain quite well, and so she's not only sympathetic, but empathetic.

However, her boss [my "UBER" boss LOL] may not quite understand it the way that she does. She hasn't really given me a hard time about missing a lot more work lately, but I'm contemplating having a "sit down" with her, just to give her the courtesy of letting her know why I've been sick, and also, to let her know that I am working it out, and that my body will find a way to become regular again, and all will be normal.

Another thing that I did - the first week that I felt GOOD after five weeks of feeling awful and missing 1-2 days a week - was I told my manager when I was feeling GREAT too. It helps me psychologically, because I don't feel like a "whiner," and it maintains a feeling of intimacy with my boss that can help bridge the gap that I feel from missing work.

When I am feeling great, I make my days at work REALLY count and do all that I can to remind my managers why I'm a valuable employee. Sometimes, I work ahead, just in case I may be sick. That way, when I am sick, I'm not really inconveniencing other people in my department. I'm lucky that my job allows that ability, so it's hard to offer up my solutions as solutions for you...

Just be very open and honest with your boss[es], and when you DO feel great, let them see a smile on your face and show them that you're still a great worker - that when you're "on" you're "ON!"

If my job ever gets to where it is too full of anxiety [I work in a deadline-driven environment], I may actually seek a new field. But for now, communication has done me WORLDS of good, and has kept my track record at work golden.

--------------------
-NiNi

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#230111 - 12/08/05 10:41 AM
Dajara

Reged: 12/01/05
Loc: Medicine Hat. AB. CAN

I'm 22 as well, and as i have mentioned in other posts, I have had ibs-d as far back as i can remember.. It got really bad when I was about 6 years old, but anyways, I work mon-fri, 8am-5pm in an office in a busy car dealership, and my boss couldn't be more understanding. I told him durring my interview before I even got the job that I did have times where I would be fine but there were others that would get really really bad.
I have never needed a Dr. note unless I was gone for more than a few days at a time, but so far, if i'm having really bad attacks, then i call in for the day(s) and normally once whatever trigered it is out of my system, I go back into work for a couple hours get what *needs* to be done, and then go home. It also helps having a bathroom right outside my office. It does get better, and if you are having d, then immodium can be your best friend...

#230112 - 12/08/05 10:46 AM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

Thanks everyone..it is SO nice to know that I am not alone. I just scheduled an apointment with a psychologist also to see if maybe I need someting to help me get over this big hurdle...I also have an appointment with a GI for a firm diagnosis of IBS. After a false celiac diagnosis and galbladder surgery, I want to see if the IBS diagnosis I got at age 16 is now firm...I realize that might mean my first colonoscopy, but if its needed, I'll do it. Thanks for the support!

--------------------
IBS-A

#230127 - 12/08/05 11:12 AM
JonnaP

Reged: 11/03/05
Loc: Kentucky

I'm fortunate/unfortunate to work in a very small office with a small staff totalling five folks, and the bathroom is maybe six feet from my desk (a godsend when the IBS was flaring up in a paritcularly evil manner.... damned Splenda).

Fortunately, I AM the boss, so I don't have to deal with an uncaring boss... and my employees know I have IBS-D. But even before I got this position, my boss was very sympathetic (course, that was pre-diagnosis).

I just feel fortunate that my IBS isn't so bad that I've had to miss work (other than the day off I took for the colonoscopy).

The worst part about working and IBS for me is that my schedule is erratic because of the events I have to cover. Planning meals around that is a nightmare... so I just make sure I have lots of safe snacks and tea.

I love my electric teapot muchly, yes I do.

--------------------
Jonna, IBS-D

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 455 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3346

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review