All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Regarding Heathers post on ...What to Eat When You Can't Eat Anything
      #227666 - 11/27/05 11:25 PM
Sidewalker

Reged: 01/04/05

some of her dietary suggestions are fine, however, i would not recommend english muffins since a lot of them contain dairy; Bananas are good for controling diarrhea, but can be very constipating for those with chronic IBS-C; angel food cake can also contain dairy; ginger tea may help with indigestion but can cause diarrhea and spasms for anyone who is sensitive like myself.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Regarding Heathers post on ...What to Eat When You Can't Eat Anything new
      #227667 - 11/28/05 02:37 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Okay, well it's pretty obvious that you need to check ALL foods for triggers! Bananas are SF and CAN be bad for C but so could the WTEWYCEA diet if you did it for more than 3 days! All Heather's advice can obviously not take personal intolerances into account.

Seconding what Linz says... new
      #227670 - 11/28/05 04:24 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Obviously, Heather's advice can't possibly take everyone's individual personal intolerances into account... but I can assure you that the *majority* of people are fine with the foods on the list. It also doesn't excuse a person from common-sense things like reading the ingredients on labels.

By the way, I'm prone to C as well as D, and I eat bananas on a daily basis. I've never had them cause me any problems, except when I don't eat enough insoluble fiber foods throughout the day. Balance is key.

It really irritates me when people make blanket statements about perfectly safe foods and cause unnecessary and unwarranted panic on the boards.

reading ingredients new
      #227701 - 11/28/05 07:18 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

ditto on the reading-ingredients thing, but when you're new to this you don't always grasp this right away. Like, at first, when I heard someone say, "FF saltines are safe [smiley here]" I thought, hey, it says "safe" AND it has a smiley, this means I can go out and buy them. I didn't realize that I had to go out, make sure they didn't have HFCS, and THEN buy them. (Most FF saltines have HFCS, which really irritates me, because I hate paying $2.19 for a lousy box of saltines when the cheap kind are $.59.) I haven't looked at that list in awhile, but I seem to recall a lot of the items on that list are items that are frequently not safe (i.e. most angel food cake mixes containing dairy). But, doesn't the list also have a disclaimer to the effect of making sure you double-check the ingredients? Or is it the snack food list I'm thinking of?

So, after 16 months of doing this, I do have a tendency to sort of think someone's an idiot for complaining about the nonfat dry milk in the angel food cake mix she bought thinking it was "supposed to be safe", because it's easy to forget that this diet isn't something you immediately grasp 100% on day one. You don't have to be a brain surgeon to figure it out, no, but it's a lot to take in all at once. I did a lot of REALLY dumb stuff the first week or two, and I bet everyone else did, too. And I am a reasonably intelligent person who knows all about the standard encoding of a T1. I didn't inflict my dumbness upon anyone on the boards because I have enough sense to lurk for awhile before posting, but at the same time, I feel bad when someone new posts a question and gets a response like "Do a search. Aren't you taking a SFS?" I mean, we were all new and dumb at one point. I just wish we could all be a little nicer.

Whoa. Sorry. That totally turned into an after-school special response. Back to your regularly scheduled program ...

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Hey Jen! new
      #227767 - 11/28/05 11:14 AM
Linz

Yeah we oldies TRY to be nice and remember we were new to this once! BUT it is expected that you read the diet guidelines AT LEAST first...and telling people to do a search on very common topics stops us oldies from getting mad at posting the same thing 5 times a week and so not posting!

Hey Linz (and Casey) new
      #227798 - 11/28/05 02:47 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Both of you guys do a great job answering questions!!! Sorry, I should have said that initially. I wouldn't have even an iota of the patience you do. (I know, that makes me a hypocrite.) I guess sometimes I just feel sorry for people who are honestly confused and feel like they're being brushed off. Tackling the diet can be very overwhelming at first and for the vast majority of us (probably close to all of us, really), these boards are the only place to go to ask questions about what you read. Anyway, sorry, I was having one of those irrational fits of compassion.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Re: atomic rose new
      #227864 - 11/28/05 09:06 PM
Sidewalker

Reged: 01/04/05

Well I wouldn't go as far as to say that I'm causing unwarranted panic on the boards...a bit of an extreme statement there, don't ya think? I feel any and every detail about IBS and dieting should be addressed on this forum, and what may seem as a "perfectly safe food" to you may in fact cause real problems for others. Sure not all IBS-C individuals will have problems w/ bananas, but bananas are considered quite binding by some folks(like me). Also most english muffins contain whey, which is essentially concentrated lactose and can really wreck havoc on some with dairy sensitivites. Remember, balance is key.

Sidewalker new
      #227879 - 11/29/05 01:37 AM
Linz

Actually CAsey was right. Alot of people develop anxiety disorders b/c of their IBS and posts like yours DO cause panic.

English muffins are GREAT for IBS but you have to check ALL processed foods for triggers.

Sidewalker new
      #227897 - 11/29/05 07:24 AM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

I don't think any of the other posters on this thread meant to offend. There are those on the boards who disect each and every post and the fact that triggers are so arbitrary stresses folks out.

I can drink coffee...others can't...Casey can eat corn (I am so jealous)...I cannot. That someone can eat corn and I can't doesn't stress me out but it does cause others stress.

I think in general those on the boards; in particular the seasoned ones have seen people panic over another persons triggers so the flavor here is to discuss individual triggers and not making blanket statements.

HTH

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Re: Regarding Heathers post on ...What to Eat When You Can't Eat Anything new
      #228254 - 11/30/05 10:45 AM
jenny833

Reged: 11/05/05

I definitely can't do bananas

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1626 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1234

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review