All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Really Salty Pretzel/Safe Snack recommendations
      #227531 - 11/26/05 09:19 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Does anyone know of any really salty safe pretzel/snack recommendations? I tried a few of Snyder's of Hanover and they say they have salt--but I sure cannot taste it!

Are corn/baked tortilla chips safe?

Kate.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Actually... new
      #227536 - 11/26/05 09:49 PM
Wind

These are pretty good dunked in dijon mustard (yes, I know!).
Except, now I am craving a mouth-watering kosher PICKLE!

Seriously, though--I'm trying to reduce my fiber intake and need salty SF snack ideas.

Kate.

Re: Really Salty Pretzel/Safe Snack recommendations new
      #227539 - 11/26/05 10:24 PM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

i've been fine with baked tostitos and other chips. i haven't found any that are fat-free, though, without olestra. just watch out for that, even in the lower-fat kinds.

when i need a salt fix, i like to (microwave) bake a sweet potato, and then just go crazy with the salt shaker. i know you don't like sweet potatoes, but maybe mash some of your little white potatoes w/ rice milk and then lots of salt?

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

#227540 - 11/26/05 11:43 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

I like Old Dutch Pretzel sticks, I think they are pretty salty.. which I noticed because I am not crazy about salty stuff.
For tortilla chips, I like to cut up pita bread or tortillas and put sea salt on them and broil them. I guess if you were to do that, you could put as much salt as you wanted!

Good luck!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Great ideas, Stephie & jaime! new
      #227548 - 11/27/05 05:17 AM
Wind

These are great ideas. Honestly, those pretzels tasted like dog biscuits. I'm more of a SUGAR DEMON! I'm just not used to "starchy snacks."

You know--a baked potatoe/sweet potatoe is a WICKED SNACK idea. (When I get a salt fix, normally, I do eggplant or zucchini chips in the oven) or eat green beans. That pita/tortilla suggestion sounds cool too.

If you can think of anything else, that would rock. I'm reducing my fiber intake and also, at this time for some bizarre reason veggies make me want to vomit (with the exception of 3 or 4 of them).

Kate.

Re: Sorry!! new
      #227549 - 11/27/05 05:43 AM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

Sorry, Kate! You don't like them??? I guess you really wouldn't like the ones I buy.......they are unsalted!! hehehehehe....pretty boring!

I was up alllll night long with reflux!!!!!!! I've had 2 hours of sleep and it sucks!!! I wonder if it was the Luna bar???

I'm soooo tired!!!!!!!!!

Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

Don't Appologize! new
      #227571 - 11/27/05 08:36 AM
Wind

Actually, they were good dunked in DIJON! I'm just not used to them. Their blandness/neutrality is what makes them GOOD!

I'm just a SALT/SUGAR freak. If you saw how much salt I use you'd die.

But, according to my M.D., that's a good thing as I have a sodium deficiency!

Catch a nap and feel better!

Kate.

Re: Don't Appologize! new
      #227573 - 11/27/05 08:38 AM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

Is the salt okay for your reflux?? Someone had once told me that salt makes reflux worse??? I don't know if I can really tell a difference.....

Michell

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

Re: Sea Salt new
      #227579 - 11/27/05 10:09 AM
Wind

Sea salt doesn't give me a problem--table salt, on the other hand gives me acid/burning. This is a bummer because my M.D. wants me to take 1 tsp. of tablesalt/3 times daily for my sodium & chloride deficiency (indeed, I have terrible electrolytes that I'm trying to work on by eating lots of salt and more salty things.) Most of the time, I just shake salt on the palm of my hand and then take a big swig of water.

Half of the problem is until recently, I haven't really used any "PRODUCTS" or processed foods.

One bonus is that carbs help me retain enough fluid to keep my electrolytes in better form. My levels are nearly normal. I must just resist drinking EXCESSIVE AMOUNTS OF FLUID and exercising.

However, YES, TABLE SALT gives me major acid/burning. SEA SALT, however, does not.

Kate.

#227580 - 11/27/05 10:14 AM
Blue24

Reged: 07/07/05
Loc: West Coast, USA

Kate, Guiltless Gourmet makes non-salty kinds of tortilla chips and they taste awesome.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 419 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1645

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review