Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
So basically,these food guidlines?
      #227414 - 11/26/05 10:54 AM
unhappycramper2

Reged: 11/21/05
Loc: Anaheim,Ca.

Hello,
This is a great site and thankful to Heather for all the info and to all who contribute!

I've posted my problem on this site a few weeks ago,and lets' see if I'm getting the picture. Everyone's body is different with his/her own health issues,but for me with the painful,chronic cramping,(24 hrs a day)and loud gurgling stomach noises that follows...I've abstained from -No Coffee,No Alchohol,No carbinated drinks,No Dairy,No fats,No MSG.No Raw veggies,alway's cooked. And alway's start out eating soluber fiber,then follow with insoluber fiber?
5 small meals per day insteadof three huge meals (like before)...After losing 25 lbs in a few months,(from not eating because I would cramp up)I've shrunken my stomach tremendously,and can only tolerate smaller portions anyway.
If I'm going to start Soy Milk,do I have to start small doses? Is herbal tea (Non-caffeinated) acceptable?

For breakfast, Good Oatmeal (not instant) with applesauce on top. Later maybe a peeled apple,banana. Chicken broth,with white rice,(and bits of turkey) That's all I can stand right now. I used to drink lots of water before this condition,but that even tastes terrible and makes me nauseous to me,so maybe flavor it with Pure cranberry juice. Is the Hansens Rasberry-cranberry juice drink ok?
I know we all need to drink water. Is the IBS the same as lactose Intolerant? And does IBS-C and IBS-D, stand for either Constipation or Diarrhea? With Donnatal,and Hydrocordone,which are already Constipating meds, I was curious.
Oatmeal in the morning is good,but I am looking for somemore options for breakfact and dinner. Also, would a "Shaklee" Instant protein with friut drink be good for IBS?
Thank you! Have a Great Weekend!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: So basically,these food guidlines? new
      #227418 - 11/26/05 11:11 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Quote:

Hello,
This is a great site and thankful to Heather for all the info and to all who contribute!

I've posted my problem on this site a few weeks ago,and lets' see if I'm getting the picture. Everyone's body is different with his/her own health issues,but for me with the painful,chronic cramping,(24 hrs a day)and loud gurgling stomach noises that follows...I've abstained from -No Coffee,No Alchohol,No carbinated drinks,No Dairy,No fats,No MSG. You still need to eat some fats- like 15% or so. No Raw veggies,alway's cooked. And alway's start out eating soluber fiber,then follow with insoluber fiber? Yep.
5 small meals per day insteadof three huge meals (like before)...After losing 25 lbs in a few months,(from not eating because I would cramp up)I've shrunken my stomach tremendously,and can only tolerate smaller portions anyway.
If I'm going to start Soy Milk,do I have to start small doses? It helps to prevent gas to gradually increase soy products. You might try rice milk too. Is herbal tea (Non-caffeinated) acceptable? Yes, but peppermint tea and capsules would work wonders on your cramps.

For breakfast, Good Oatmeal (not instant) with applesauce on top. Oatmeal is tough for some people and I have never thought instant was better than regular. Later maybe a peeled apple,banana. Chicken broth,with white rice,(and bits of turkey) That's all I can stand right now. I used to drink lots of water before this condition,but that even tastes terrible and makes me nauseous to me,so maybe flavor it with Pure cranberry juice. That should be fine, but try peppermint and ginger teas for liquids. Is the Hansens Rasberry-cranberry juice drink ok? If it doesn't have high fructose corn syrup. Try to get 100% juices.
I know we all need to drink water. Is the IBS the same as lactose Intolerant? Have you been diagnosed with IBS? And does IBS-C and IBS-D, stand for either Constipation or Diarrhea? Yes predominant C or D or alternating between the two-A. With Donnatal,and Hydrocordone,which are already Constipating meds, I was curious.
Oatmeal in the morning is good,but I am looking for somemore options for breakfact and dinner. Also, would a "Shaklee" Instant protein with friut drink be good for IBS?
Thank you! Have a Great Weekend!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#227504 - 11/26/05 05:19 PM
jamiep

Reged: 12/21/04
Loc: Arroyo City Texas USA

I have trouble with oatmeal because I have celiac in addition to IBS-C. Raw apples do me in! I can't eat them or pears at all. Peppermint tea works great unless you have acid reflux and then it can be bad for you. If you have this problem try ginger or fennel tea they help some. Not as much as the peppermint but, they help. I know if you stick to the "guidelines" this diet really helps. It does wonders. Before I had my celiac diagnosed it saved my life.

Good Luck!

Love,

Jamie

#227543 - 11/27/05 12:01 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi there,

I think that Little Minnie basically answered all of your questions, but I just had a couple of things to add..

Keeping up your fluid intake is really important, especially with IBS for both D and C (and yes, like Minnie said it is Diarhea and Constipation). For C, you want to make sure that you are drinking enough because if you are dehydrated it can make C worse. For D, if you are having a lot of loose bowel movements you are losing a lot of water and are likely to become dehydrated.
If drinking large amounts of water is hard for you, I would try just sipping water throughout the day. You must make sure that you are drinking, though. Cranberry juice is fine, but I am not sure about raspberry so try only small amounts at first and watch out for artificial sweeteners and HFCS. If you can't drink the water all day, herbal teas are great and try sipping on them all day to make sure you are getting properly hydrated. If nausea is a problem, try drinking ginger tea.

Good luck, it seems like you have a handle on things so hope your tummy is responding!

Cheers,
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 816 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 780

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review