Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Do you eat breakfast?
      #226868 - 11/23/05 11:20 AM
Draupadi

Reged: 07/16/05
Loc: Santa Cruz, California

Hi there,

I am struggling with my morning meal...I usually have cereal with soymilk and some kind of fruit (usually a banana), and a cup of tea. Lately, I've been feeling like this is too much, because I usually start to feel really full and bloated afterwards. If I don't eat breakfast, though, I'm starving by lunch, which usually triggers an attack due to overeating or making unsafe choices. In addition, I am trying to keep up my calorie intake, as I'm currently in recovery from anorexia, and still trying to gain back the last few pounds.
Do any of you find you can't handle breakfast? If not, what do you do? Thanks in advance!

--------------------
Julia

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Do you eat breakfast? new
      #226879 - 11/23/05 11:42 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Have you tried splitting your breakfast into a pre-breakfast, breakfast, and morning snack? I do this, and there are lots of people here who do the same. Generally, IBS folks are happier eating a little bit every couple of hours rather than a lot at one sitting.

--AC

#226888 - 11/23/05 12:04 PM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

I have a REALLY REALLY hard time eating breakfast. I am also an anorexic in remission (3 years). Because I never ate breakfast before, I am not hungry in the morning at all. Especially, now with IBS, because I usually have my attacks in the morning. Although, I had one today at 2:00pm. I literally have to just nibble until I feel like my stomach can handle it.....sometimes it takes me until 12:00pm to be able to eat. It's the most difficult time of the day for me to eat, so I totally understand your pain!!
Just nibble....don't force yourself or you could trigger an attack. I have done that too many times.
Good luck!
Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

breakfast... new
      #226895 - 11/23/05 12:39 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

on good days- I do a bowl of cereal and rice milk, then a luna bar on my first break at work... but on bad days it waits until that luna bar for food... I aim for 5-6 small meals a day.. and am able to keep up calorie counts (actually with less exercise I gained some weight again so back on the workout wagon) but if I eat a big meal I tend to have major problems! I am much better with smaller meals all along.. I tend to be more able to eat a large amount at dinner then any other time... but still it isn't a huge meal...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#226896 - 11/23/05 12:44 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Yes. Most mornings, I have oatmeal (1/2 cup dry) made with 1 c. soy milk. I mix in a 1/2 cup of either canned peaches or pears and a shake or two of cinnamon. I make it at work.

I eat a Luna bar if I don't have time for the oatmeal.

I eat breakfast after I've had my AM dose of Benefiber.

Eat two breakfasts! new
      #226898 - 11/23/05 12:45 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Seriously...have a teeny snack to wake your tum up and then have something more filling a little later.

Second breakfast! new
      #226936 - 11/23/05 04:09 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I'm with you on the two breakfasts! I always have something small, like toast, a homemade muffin or piece of quick bread, or 1/2 a bagel, when I get out of the shower in the morning. Then 2-3 hours later I eat another small breakfast, usually either a cereal bar or the other 1/2 of the bagel. I call it my "second breakfast", just like the hobbits ate in the LOTR.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Me too - I eat breakfast twice! new
      #226942 - 11/23/05 04:39 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I usually start with a Luna Bar, then eat cereal and toast or fruit an hour later. If I wake up feeling IBS-weird (if you know what I mean), I'll start with plain toast and some tea.

I think you have to eat breakfast consistently every morning in order to get used to it. I would say if eating breakfast is new for you, to start with peppermint, chamomile, or ginger tea and toast to settle your stomach and those feelings of nausea. Someone mentioned taking their Benefiber first thing in the morning--that's an excellent idea, especially if you're still trying to get stable.

Graze... new
      #226946 - 11/23/05 06:22 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Lately, I just delete the a.m. by rolling over a few times.

However, skipping breakfast is a BAD thing. For me, it nearly always ends up in a SEIGE later (i.e. "attack.") I usually just grab something small and kind of go with the flow...no major structure. By something small, it could mean a piece of safe fruit/applesauce and fiber/smoothie or just cereal. It really depends on the "tactic" or mood I'm in, but there is always SOMETHING! Perhaps try dividing your breakfast, i.e. start with the banana and then have cereal/soy milk and tea later or vice versa. Personally, if I had that much food in the morning I would be really ILL.

If for some reason I decide to exist in the morning, eating before 11 a.m. always ends up in disaster. I don't know why, but it just does--one way or the other.
Kate, IBS-D.

breakfast is my easiest meal new
      #226949 - 11/23/05 07:20 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

After that, I just get more and more bloated and constipated after lunch and dinner.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1547 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2168

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review