All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)
Re: IBS - D Supplement Survey new
      #227035 - 11/24/05 11:30 AM
JonnaP

Reged: 11/03/05
Loc: Kentucky

I'm still getting going with this whole thing but:

I'm up to 2 Fibercon Tabs a day (It gets upped once a week)
One Multi-vitamin/mineral a day
Two Probiotics (just acidophilus) a day.

Fortunately, right now, I can get all my pills out of the way in the morning. :-)

And several cups of peppermint tea every day.

--------------------
Jonna, IBS-D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Hey, Kate~what do you eat?? new
      #227094 - 11/24/05 03:40 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Happy Thanksgiving, Michelle.

Do you think mashed potatoes might agree with you? They totally agree with me! Mushrooms totally agree with me too, as long as I don't use hot/spicy stuff, i.e. keep it pretty plain and simple with just a little herbs to enhance. I love baking zucchini, too and that totally clicks. Plain/salted green beans agree with me always, as does asparagus. Try a portabella on a 1/2 bun or plain bread!

Re: cereal. It totally agrees with me dry or just splashed with Rice Dream (no soy! soy=reflux for me) to wet it. I can't "drink" the milk that I splash on, though. That would be "bleh!"

Re: tea I love fennel! Camomile, aggravates my hayfever, though. Jasmine green tea works, but not black tea. Rosehip rocks. Tropic of Strawberry by Celestial Seasonings is a favourite.

Soups (homemade work). ANY SORT OF MEAT (i.e. chicken/turkey) CAUSES ME INTENSE REFLUX, spasms, pain, acid and gives me a D attack, too. I can tolerate organic chicken broth, but not meat. To this I'll add a few shitakes, maybe some matchstick carrot slivers, a celery stalk, a few tablespoons of rice, etc. It's rather brothy and tummy warming/soothing.

I haven't tried pretzels. Any favourite brands?

Arrowroot type cookies/fortune cookies agree with me. (I was just nibbling on Teddy Grahams!) I'll find out soon enough re: plain angelfood cake!

Applesauce = reflux for me Bananas just hurt. I suspect, though, that zucchini/mushrooms would probably agree with you when you're ready to give it a shot. Just keep it relatively plain/simple.

I hate this as much as you do. I have to re-learn my food responses and modify my eating. My fridge is embarrasingly empty.

Also, re: protein powders. They end up refluxed, too.

Hmmmm...it's too bad your thanksgiving wasn't a more traditional spread. You could probably have contributed/stomached some safe/skinny mashed potatoes and maybe a few green beans to munch on! I feel left out, too because of acid reflux. And my mother BUGS me about it and doesn't understand/get it and that only gives me WORSE heartburn.

Aaargh.
Kate.

#227100 - 11/24/05 04:01 PM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

Awww, thank you, Kate!

I have a brand new box of the Strawberry tea up in my cupboard, too, that I have not opened yet. I was afraid it would trigger my reflux, but if it doesn't bother you.....maybe I will give it a shot.

I probably could have eaten some mashed potatoes and green beans today but I felt too bad to go to the grocery store yesterday and get stuff. So, I just ate what I have in the house which is NOTHING!!! My fridge is embarassingly empty, too.....I wish it could be full of cheesecake!!!!

If I can get to the store tomorrow I will pick up some portabellos, green beans and potatoes and have my thanksgiving dinner tomorrow!!! hehehehe

OH, I cannot have soy milk, anymore either!! I just had a bowl of frosted flakes the other day and I thought I was going to die!!!!!! I cannot even eat frosted flakes dry. They also triggered my reflux but not half as bad as the soy milk. Never again!!!

My favorite brand of pretzels is the unsalted mini's by Snyders (of Hanover). They are the BEST!! They're expensive but I cannot find any other kind of pretzels without salt. The salt hurts my tummy and gives me sores on my tongue. I have a box of teddy grahams, too. Maybe I will go try to eat a few of them, if you can handle them.

Sorry, I'm using you as my guide.....My system is so sensitive right now that I'm afraid to temp things unless I know that someone like you can handle them......I know that I might not still be able to tolerate some things that you can, but it would give me the confidence....at least....to try! Thanks Kate!! You're the Best!!

I can't handle protein powders, either. I bought some type of protein powder (soy protein) from the grocery store and put it in my cereal about a week ago and I almost died!!! Glad to know I'm not alone on that one!!

Hey, I really really want to try Luna bars!! Can you handle those??? They sound sooo good and there's alot of IBS people on here that can handle them. So, I'm not worried about them affecting my BM as much as I am the reflux!!

I totally understand the frustration of living with IBS-D AND Reflux!! It's horrible!! I'm so glad that I have you to help me through all of this, Kate! Seriously!

My dad was just here yesterday and he doesn't understand what I'm going through at all. He says "I get heartburn all the time, I just ignore it and keep going. Why can't you??" He doesn't get it that I have a hiatal hernia!!! My heartburn is sooo much worse than the simple burning-in-the-chest kind of heartburn he's talking about, you know??? Yea, that would be easier to deal with than the constant feeling of "going to throw up all over the place at any minute with no warning!!!"

Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

#227101 - 11/24/05 04:15 PM
anlikerm

Can you eat the chocolate chip Teddy Grahams?? I have a box of those, too......and the honey. Anyway, It says there's cocoa in the chocolate chip ones, but it's so far down the list....it still a significant amount to trigger EITHER reflux or D attack?? Probably so, huh??!!
Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

Re: Hey, Kate~do you take anything before bed?? new
      #227108 - 11/24/05 05:38 PM
anlikerm

To prevent waking up in the middle of the night with reflux??? My doctor told me to take another Nexium at night, but I cannot afford to take 2 a day. It's expensive!! And I cannot risk all the side effects of doubling up on it......So, I was just wondering if you take antacids or anything before laying down.
Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

Michelle: trial & error! new
      #227109 - 11/24/05 06:06 PM
Wind

Snyder's of Hanover--I noticed those. Next time, I'll try a few. Teddy Grahams are similar to baby cookies and generally what a baby can tolerate is potentially safe.

I guess the best approach is to give it 3 bites. After 3, I KNOW whether it's yea or nay. Sometimes, though, if something for some inexplicable reason just smells all wrong, it's only a "nay" that day. Probably warped, I know.

I've never tried a Luna. I, too, am dying to test one. I so very much miss HEMP icecream/rice dream, but am too chicken. Hey, maybe I'll give a Luna the 3 nibble test. Yes, that's what I'll do...try 1/4 of a Luna. Sometimes I can only tolerate a miniscule amount, initially. What do you think? I HATE PUKING. I HATE D. I HATE BOTH IN THE SAME HOUR!!! (Has that ever happened? It's happened lots!

Cheesecake, ROTFL (& crying)!!! That was another lifetime ago!

Way to go, Michelle with your belated Thanksgiving. Maybe try 1/2 at Lunch and 1/2 at Dinner. Portabellas are seriously filling!

Can you tummy bread/toast? Just curious. I'm not sure yet.
I bought some organic white mini pitas and thin-sliced weight watcher's bread to try when/if I get the guts.

I tried a few marshmellows and had the most evil heartburn a few days ago. Honey KILLS me. I miss SUSHI--maybe I'll try it without soy sauce (serious reflux & D trigger) and wasabi.

Good luck, tomorrow...and take it bite by bite. Often, I find with acid reflux and IBS-D, less is more, at least initially.

You do sound like you could use some soup, too! Don't ask me why. A really SIMPLE one, too! If I'm making a quick soup, I use IMAGINE broth. The Portabella mushroom one used to be my favourite, but I haven't had it in forever. Maybe I'll try it, again, soon.

Now...if only I can smootch a ride to check out those pretzels!

Re: Teddy Grahams
      #227110 - 11/24/05 06:08 PM
Wind

I don't know, Michelle. I've only ever had the plain ones!
You could try 3? See how it goes? I know a chunk of chocolate would do me in, reflux-wise--but the size of the ones in Teddy Grahams are negligible. Hmmm...I guess to try 3-5 would be my answer.

Kate, IBS-D.

Re: Hey, Kate~do you take anything before bed??
      #227111 - 11/24/05 06:14 PM
Wind

No, I don't take anything beyond potentially a couple Pepto. caps. before bed and occaisonally a few Rolaids. Tums, for some odd reason foam too much.

Yes, I know...night time acid really wrecks havoc on the a.m.
Nexium is expensive. 2 a day, now there's a thought! It is expensive, though.

Give it time.

Kate, IBS-D.

Re: Hey, Kate~do you take anything before bed??
      #227112 - 11/24/05 06:18 PM
anlikerm

Yea, I cannot afford to take 2 a day. I pay $69.00 copay for these things. I cannot afford to pay that twice a month!! I'm afraid that two would make me nauseated like all the other PPI's have done. At least with the Nexium, I don't get nauseated.
Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

Re: Michelle: trial & error!
      #227114 - 11/24/05 06:33 PM
anlikerm

Yea, those pretzels are the best!!! I tried a few Teddy Grahams tonight and they didn't sit right after about 5, so I stopped and it was okay, then. I think if I would have eaten more, I would have gotten sick......maybe I will wait a little longer before breaking those back out again.

I'm going to get a Luna bar, tomorrow, too and try 1 or 2 bites of it and see what happens. I probably won't be able to tolerate it, though, if I can't even tolerate teddy grahams!! I'm going to try though. I need to put on some weight!!

I HATE PUKING, TOO!!! Fortunately, I haven't had both in the same hour!!! But, almost, too many times!!!! I think that's why I am so afraid of trying new things....because it don't take much to make me throw it right back up!!! I HATE REFLUX!!!

I can tolerate mini bagels, but the white bread thing didn't sit well with me last week so I haven't done it again. It just gave me horrible gas.......not really any reflux. I just couldn't sleep because of the rumbling tummy!!

You should be okay with the pitas though. Especially if they are organic. That's so funny, I tried a couple marshmallows yesterday! Maybe that's why I woke up with reflux this morning!! I have a serious sweet tooth and with reflux, I cannot hardly tolerate ANY sugar!!! What am I going to do!?!? I am sooo addicted to sugar......but it's not working out very well right now!! Honey bothers me too...I use Stevia to sweeten my teas.

Good luck to you, too, with your pitas and weight watchers bread!! I agree with you.......take it bite by bite. Seems like I'm doing that with everything these days, even my cream of wheat! Sometimes I can gulp it down and sometimes I can hardly eat it at all.......wierd!!

I'm going to check out that Imagine broth. I don't know if I've seen that before. I also looked for that antacid you told me about. I looked for it at the grocery store, and every pharmacy between my house and the next city and I cannot find it. I will order it on the internet. I saw a website that sells it (canadian website). I guess they don't have it in the states. I'm dying to try it, though.
Thanks for telling me about it!!

Good luck with the pretzels! Let me know how they do for you!! I will let you know how tomorrow goes with my portabella mushrooms!! I made my husband some mashed potatoes this evening and I ate a little bit of them and did okay. Little bit of stomach discomfort, but it was okay......tolerable......

Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 504 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 50085

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review