All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)
Hmm... new
      #226814 - 11/22/05 09:34 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I should preface this by saying that I've never had a vitamin give me IBS problems; my difficulty with vitamins is that they repeat on me something awful. The Flintstones are the only ones that don't. I get the ones without added iron, and I'll be honest, I'm not sure about the sweeteners in them - I just know they don't bother me.

...Ok, I couldn't give that as an answer, so I Googled it. LOL! According to drugs.com, the sweeteners they contain are sucrose and invert sugar, which is a re-processed sugar that has a finer texture. Both of those should be perfectly safe.

I don't believe you're going to find a chewable that doesn't contain some kind of sweetener, because they'd taste absolutely horrible! But if that's a concern for you, try the health food store for the all-natural alternatives. I'm pretty sure those all contain sugars too, but you never know.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I tried Flinstones, too..... new
      #226831 - 11/23/05 06:47 AM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

And I cannot stomach them. My reflux is so bad, I cannot take any kind of multi-vitamin right now.....I bought the huge bottle of them, too. So, when my reflux calms down I will see if I can take them, again.
Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

Stephie -- reflux/D new
      #226952 - 11/23/05 07:56 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I'm not Wind, but I had the same problem. Ask your doctor for samples of Aciphex. (Not sure what it's called in Canada, sorry.) It's the only reflux med I've been on that doesn't aggravate my D, and I think I went through pretty much all of them. I tried to go on the generic to save thirty bucks a month, but the generic didn't work quite as well and did bother my stomach somewhat. That's the ONLY bad thing about Aciphex -- the cost! Without my insurance a month's supply was something like $150 US. Ouch.

My nausea also got bad with the reflux. I even threw up a couple times, and I hardly EVER throw up (it happens so rarely I can literally remember each time). I can't even begin to describe the agony of throwing up when you are refluxing.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Re: Stephie -- reflux/D new
      #226964 - 11/23/05 10:43 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hey Jen!

Thank you so much, I really appreciate that! The next time I go to see my doctor, I will ask about it.
Luckily, right now I have very good insurance (my insurance works where you can pick and choose where you want to be covered more or less, it's cool) so I have 100% on prescription meds up to a certain amount (which means it still wouldn't cover all of it, if it is $150 a month) so that will help a lot.

Thanks again, I hope it helps me! I have it so bad that it just hurts and aches in my chest all day. And I totally get food coming back up all day. If I wanted to throw up, I could. But I FEEL like I really want to throw up and the little bits that come up just don't help the nausea at all, it's so brutal.

Blech!

Cheers!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Re: I understand your pain!!! new
      #226982 - 11/24/05 06:41 AM
anlikerm

I go through this, too. I am on my 3rd week of Nexium, right now and it's FINALLY starting to kick in but I still take tons and tons of antacids everyday. I cannot eat a whole lot in one sitting either, or it will get really bad. So, make sure and eat a little bit throughout the day.....not 3 large meals. It might help your reflux.....
Good Luck~
Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

Re: Michelle/how are you feeling? new
      #226996 - 11/24/05 07:44 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I wondered how you were doing, Michelle! How are you feeling?
Is the Nexium starting to work? I find it increasingly challenging to eat much--i.e. only certain foods! It's frustrating! Like you, the small meals work best. It's just frustrating having to further modify my diet.

I've been using Extra-Strength Gas-X for any pressure/air bubbles that get trapped in my tummy and find it hugely effective. I get reflux, sometimes, from trapped gas. (I have asthma and I KNOW I swallow air! My reflux partially is related to asthma drugs.) Truly, it's a treat to fart!
(Hope that's not too much information)

I just find the foods that I can tolerate with reflux and IBS-D dwindling. It's eerie. Are you experiencing the same thing? Lol, I was up @ 4 a.m., but not for Pepto! I thought of you. I haven't used the stuff in 3 or 4 days.

Kate.

Re: Hey, Kate! new
      #227001 - 11/24/05 08:02 AM
anlikerm

Hi! I have been doing a little better up until last night. I went to bed hungry and woke up at about 8:00 with major reflux. I actually woke up a couple times before that, but I didn't get up to take anything for it. I just let it get worse!! The Nexium is beginning to kick in......but, I'm like you, I still can't eat much. I eat cream of wheat 3 times a day (it's easier to digest for me, than oatmeal) a little bit of bananas, crackers and pretzels.....that's about it right now. But, at least I CAN eat!! Two weeks ago, I couldn't eat at all!!

I was wondering how you were doing, too! It's good to hear that you haven't had to take pepto in 3-4 days!! That's awesome!! I still take it with every meal!! I can't get away from it, yet. I tried the other day but I got reflux really bad about an hour after I ate.

I also get reflux from trapped gas. I think that's the majority of my problem. After I eat, I get huge gas bubbles that literally make me nauseous if I can't get them up. I will start taking gas-x again and see if that helps. I have been taking charcoal but it's stripping my body of all my nutrients. I don't like taking it all the time.

I took an Oilsmart (Renew Life), yesterday, after eating my morning cream of wheat and about 30 minutes later, it made me really nauseous. Don't take Oilsmart with cream of wheat. There's not enough substance to cushion it....it digested in no time and made me really sick to my stomach!!! I had to go lay down for like 2 hours and took a whole bunch of Pepto!!! That was horrible!! I won't ever do that, again!!

What are you eating for Turkey day??? I'm not cooking.....I'm eating cream of wheat righ now, as a matter of fact. I'm not in the turkey mood, today. My husband doesn't like turkey much, anyway.

This sucks!! I use to love thanksgiving, when I could eat whatever I wanted. I would eat a whole pumpkin pie by myself, just about!! Not anymore!! Well, I'm still thankful for all of the Blessing in my life and to be alive but I'm not in the whole "food mood".

Happy Thanksgiving!!
Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

Re: Hey, Kate~what do you eat?? new
      #227006 - 11/24/05 08:28 AM
anlikerm

Do you eat basically the same things I do? Or can you eat more?? I would like to try to incorporate new things but I'm like you......trying to find things that I can eat with IBS-D AND reflux is really hard! And I'm scared to try new things wondering if it will send me to the bottom, where I will have to start all over again.
It sucks!! LOL!! Ain't we just a pair???
Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

#227019 - 11/24/05 10:40 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Well, I'm Canadian, so "Turkey Day" was last month!

Like you I find I can eat less and less! I had a fridge full of veggies/fruits that I had to trash. Most dry cereals and saltines work (rice crispies/crispix), mashed potatoes. The veggies I can tolerate besides mashed potatoes are: green beans, asparagus, pureed spinach, zucchini, and mushrooms. A little celery or carrot is okay, too in a brothy kind of soup (organic & m.s.g.--free). Would a soup agree with you? Perhaps toss some rice or rice noodles in? I tried that the other night and it really soothed my tummy and no reflux.

Most rice based foods totally click and are safe, so I'm going to eat more of those and any veggies I can tolerate--mashed potatoes, zucchini and mushrooms being basically totally the safest.

Fruit just gives me rude reflux--even bananas/applesauce .

I'm going to go shopping later. Like you, I just have such a limited list! Everything has to be ultra-plain, and well...kind of something a baby could eat. Truly, it's hard to get enough calories in! I'm going to see if there's a suitable bread for plain toast at the store and maybe make some plain angelfood cake. I tried oatmeal, but it gave me the most evil reflux/acid/heartburn/gas. Even Cheerios will do it.

A creepy question: How are your teeth impacted by reflux?
Mine are a disaster.

Poor you, that's no fun on turkey day. I mostly focus on the visiting aspect.

Perhaps you might be up to some homemade "no-chicken" soup?
Indeed, we are a pair!

Kate.

#227025 - 11/24/05 10:57 AM
anlikerm

I didn't know you were Canadian! That's awesome!

Thanks for your list of foods that you can eat!! You're right, slim pickins' just like me!! I do often eat baby food, because it's the only thing my tummy will tolerate, sometimes.

You know, I have some crispix in the cupboard that I haven't opened yet. Maybe I will try that. I haven't tried mushrooms in a long time, maybe I will try those, too. I LOVE MUSHROOMS!! Especially portabellos. They don't give you problems??? I would really like to be able to eat those again. Yummy!!! Portabello burgers are the best!!!

I used to make a squash/zucchini stir-fry that I really did well with but I haven't tried it since my IBS flare in August. I have been trying to keep it ultra-safe.

I tried to eat a banana this morning, too and it isn't working out so well. I'm starting to get that "feeling" again.....reflux! NO!!!! I'm sipping on some chamomile tea to try to avoid the Pepto!! I need to stop taking so much of that mess.... I ate some applesauce 3 weeks ago and won't do that ever again, either!! That was horrible! I almost threw up because I couldn't get the acid to calm down in my stomach. It took about 2 hours to get it under control. I cringe when I even look at applesauce, now. Pitiful, isn't it??!!!

You know, I couldn't stop eating oatmeal.....and I kept having horrible, horrible gas.....reflux, all of it. I finally switched to cream of wheat 2 weeks ago and it has really helped. I can't eat oatmeal anymore, either. I hate that because I love my oatmeal but it just hurts too bad now. I am tired of paying the price for foods that I think I just have to eat!! I gotta let them go......

Funny you mentioned the reflux affecting my teeth....when I was stable back in 2004, I lost a filling and within no time it became absessed. I finally went to the dentist in May of 2005 and he said it was absessed and I had to have a root canal and I still have 3 more appts to get it finished. I got the first appt out of the way and then I got really sick with my IBS and have had to cancel my other appts because I get too nauseated in the chair. So, I really need to get this finished.

Have you ever tried Anise tea?? I was looking on heather's website and found that Anise is really good for indigestion and stuff like that.

All of my family is in North Carolina, so no one will be coming to visit me today......it's just me and my hubby. So, I will eat my cream of wheat and he will probably order a pizza. He's not much into turkey.

Does turkey or chicken bother your reflux??? It bothered mine the last time I tried it. (last week). I woke up at 3:00am pounding the Pepto bottle!!! It was horrible!! My whole body felt like an acid pool!!! Yuck!

Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 321 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 50086

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review