All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)
Re: Pretty simple here too... new
      #226776 - 11/22/05 06:23 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Indeed, it's pretty simple for me, too.

--Immodium for D
--Pepto. for really bad acid/nausea (I have acid reflux and take Nexium)
--I keep GAS-X, DIOVOL PLUS, BEANO on hand for when required
--Digestive Enzymes by SISU DIGESTIVES
--2-4 Tbsp. Benefiber Powder (Like Laurel, I frequently mix it in appropriate foods, i.e. soups/smoothies/applesauce, etc. or in tea)

***I have not found a vitamin I can stomach without a negative reaction, therefore I do not take them***

That's all I can think of at the moment. I used to take COLLIDAL SILICA GEL, but now I eat more than enough silica each day and am getting really HAIRY!

Kate, IBS-D.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Hey, Atomic Rose-- new
      #226778 - 11/22/05 06:26 PM
Wind

I can't stomach a single vitamin pill. Are those Flinstones ones safe? I used to take chewables as a kid and didn't have a problem...indeed, I recall that they were the Flinstones ones.

I guess my question is, are they safe for you and potentially worth me trying? Do they have added sweeteners?

Kate.

Re: Pretty simple here too... new
      #226793 - 11/22/05 07:26 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Immodium as needed
Peppermint tea
Chamomile tea

I was taking Benefiber for the first 4-6 months, but didn't keep up with it once I stabilized. I took a calcium supplement for a few weeks, but didn't keep that up either. I eat Luna Bars, which are vitamin and mineral fortified and contain some SF, so I hope that counts for something - I can tolerate them much better than vitamin pills.

Alright, I'll play too new
      #226795 - 11/22/05 07:41 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi ya'll!!

Okay, so I have in the past taken a million different things but right now I'm not really taking anything. The last two weeks have been pretty brutal, though, so I think I will definitely have a look at these more closely and see about taking some new stuff.

Right now I take:
-Immodium as needed (which is currently at least 1-2 a day)
-Bucospan as needed for pain and cramps (not very often until lately)
-Peppermint tea (a lot, a lot.. until my herbalist guy told me not to drink it anymore, which upset me. I have been 'sneaking' it lately as it is my only relief )
-Cammomile tea (drink at night usually to help me sleep and calm tummy down a little)
-I take a chewable children's vitamin as well. I couldn't take the brand name one because it had sorbitol in it, so I take just the drug store brand which doesn't have any "no no" stuff in it.

Oh! And right now I have had really bad reflux but with the D, I haven't been able to take any medication 'cause I end up in the bathroom all day long so I have just been taking tums every day at work to get me through.

In the past I took calcium chews, but they all turned out to have dairy so I shouldn't have them. I want to try more calcium, but all the pills I've seen have been big and I can't swallow large pills so I dunno what to do about that now...
I would LIKE to get back on the fiber wagon to see if it will help this time, and a probiotic. I also need to find something safe to take for nausea that won't make me too drowzy to work as I have been SUPER nauseous at work but can't take the extra strength gravol I have (regular strength doesn't help me) makes me tired. Boo.

Anywho, that's all from me right now!

Cheers!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Edited by Stephie (11/22/05 07:44 PM)

Re: Steph - big pills new
      #226797 - 11/22/05 07:45 PM
lalala

You could get a pill cutter for those huge calcium pills. I have one; it was inexpensive, about $4 (US), and it's been really useful.

Question for Wind new
      #226798 - 11/22/05 07:49 PM
Stephie

Hi there,

I just have a quick question for you about having both reflux and D.
I went on a medication in England for my reflux but it made my D so unbearable that I could literally take immodium and still be in the bathroom over 10 times a day.
I was on lansoprazole (sp??), which is Prevacid over here I think. My doctor here gave me Pariet but I am terrified to take it because if my D gets any worse, I won't be able to work regular hours and I'll just.. fall apart.
Also, do you find that when your reflux gets bad you get really nauseous?
I have just been insanely nauseous the last couple of weeks and my heartburn/indigestion is really awful, so I am wondering if the two are linked.

Cheers!!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#226799 - 11/22/05 07:51 PM
Stephie

Hi,

Does it really make them easier to swallow? Or does it make them all rough and hard to take?
I know this is ridiculous, but once pills are wider than a certain amount (like I cannot take pills that are circular usually, only the long skinny ones) or too rough and start to get stuck in my throat, I totally panic.

Thanks!!

Steph

--------------------
IBS-D,pain.

#226804 - 11/22/05 08:14 PM
lalala

I think they're easier to swallow. The full-size pills make me gag, but I was able to get the 1/2 size ones down without a problem. You know, you might be able to cut them into 1/4.

Some tips I remember (and still use) from taking pills as a child (I was a gagger): I prep/wet my mouth and throat by drinking some water before I take the pill. Sometimes I use a straw when taking a pill, which makes it easier to swallow. If I feel panicky about the pill getting stuck (which is unlikely, I think), I'll drink more water and have a piece of bread to "push the pill down."

Hey, I bet you could crush the calcium pills and mix them with applesauce! I've heard of people doing that with other pills. HTH!

Re: Question for Wind new
      #226810 - 11/22/05 09:09 PM
Wind

I've tried Pariet and honestly, it didn't do a thing other than give me MAJOR GAS/BLOATING and dizziness and D.

Nexium is the only thing that effectively works for me. Yes, I do get some D with it. Also, I find that I am just unable to consume as much food, so I'm eating less and less everyday. I am starting to make some serious dietary changes. Immodium generally helps with the D that Nexium gives me. Enzymes, help a lot as well as keeping Gas-X and Dioval Plus on hand.

Yes, I get really NAUSEATED when I have reflux, or if my sodium levels are low. I'm still learning what works and what doesn't, food-wise with Nexium/reflux & IBS-D. All I know right now is just about everything gives me reflux, except for potatoes, rice based cereals, saltines, and only a few vegetables. Applesauce is even "iffy."

Kate, IBS-D.

Edited by Wind (11/22/05 09:11 PM)

Re: IBS - D Supplement Survey new
      #226811 - 11/22/05 09:12 PM
Lynx

Reged: 04/21/05

I'm actually a C, but I take meds, too.

17g of Miralax
4tbs Milk of Magnesia
one - two scoops of Citracel a day
These are all used before I go to bed after small meal.

I'm also using the hypnotherapy program from this site which so far is proving to be the best remedy at this point.

--------------------
Check out my gallery! http://niomie.deviantart.com/

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 182 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 50086

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review