All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)
IBS - D Supplement Survey
      #226737 - 11/22/05 02:59 PM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

Why should we let the C people have all the fun? lol Maybe we can help out some newbies (and some oldies) by sharing what we all take and what helps us.

I take SFS -- Citrucel caplets. 24 each day. I break it up into 3 different "servings" -- that way I feel like I have my fiber all day long for safety.

I also take a probiotic. Natrol Biobeads. It has a mix of lovlies in it. Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifodobacterium bifidum, Bifodobacterium longum, and Lactobacillus rhamnosus. It does not have any bad stuff though. No dairy, yeast, wheat, corn, eggs, glutens, etc. It is in a wonderful little bead that keeps it safe from your stomach acids. So - it doesn't have to be kept in the fridge and they survive.

I also take enzymes. Since I liked my probiotic, I tried the samples I was given by Natrol of their enzymes. They seemed good too. They also have an ingredient that is supposed to help with gas. Not a bad thing for many of us. They are called Digest Support.

I also take the Walmart brand women's multi-vitamin and Oscal 500+D (2). When I have an attack (pretty rare nowdays thanks to Heather's diet and all these lovely supplements) - I take NuLev and usually 1 Immodium AD. Sometimes I may have to take another one, if it doesn't quiet down -- but I have been very lucky so far. 1 usually takes care of it without making me constipated.

So, that's my IBS in a nutshell. Anyone else want to play?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS - D Supplement Survey new
      #226739 - 11/22/05 03:07 PM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

I was waiting for someone to do a IBS-D survey!! I posted my supplements under the IBS-C, before I realized it ws only for IBS-C!! Sorry!!

Anyway, right now...... at the moment, anyway.....I'm taking the following:

Garden of Life: Primal Defense and FYI
Renew Life: Oilsmart and Intestinew
Enzymedica: Digest Gold, Acid Soothe
Fennel Tea
Chammomile tea
Citrucel "Clear" 3 scoops a day
That's about it!

Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

#226747 - 11/22/05 03:37 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I'm an A but my attacks are D.

For the IBS I take...
2T of Acacia.

For my crappy immune system I take...
1g Vitamin C (from my HFS).
A multivitamin (usually supermarket own brand).
Echinacea (from Holland & Barrett HFS).

For my Fibro I take...
Malic Relief tablets by Country life.
Celexa 20mg.
Elavil 40mg.

#226752 - 11/22/05 04:10 PM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

SFS: FiberChoice - currently a total of 4.5 chewables (that's 9g), but still working up.

and that's it. figured the people who don't take lots of supplements should be represented, too.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

in spite of the fact that I had a horrible attack today......lol new
      #226758 - 11/22/05 04:50 PM
meep

Reged: 06/06/05
Loc: Texas

I'll post my stuff anyway, since it usually works...most of the time! This attack was strictly stress related, I'm pretty sure.....

Citrocel caplets: have upped to 3 before I eat
FloraSmart probiotic: has pretty much everything, but without the dangerous stuff
Nexium
Librax: one before meals, sometimes one at night if bad day
Nature's Sunshine Intestinal Soothe and Build
Nature's Sunshine Slippery Elm

and.....lots and lots of pretzels!!!!!! lolol

#226763 - 11/22/05 05:04 PM
RachaelC

Reged: 09/09/04
Loc: Philadelphia, PA

I'm IBS-A, too. Attacks are D, and fairly rare these days. Mostly aggravated by anxious moments.

I take 2 teaspoons of Acacia every day. Usually just shake it up in a bottle of water and drink it all day. This is my #1 preventative against attacks and my #1 promoter of regular BMs! I struggled with trying to get balanced for over 5 years now, and ever since I started Acacia, things have definitely gotten better.

Fibercon and/or Pamine (antispasmodic) before I eat something questionable.

Multi-vitamin (Kirkland brand). Right now I'm mainly taking it for the Folic Acid because we might be trying to get pregnant soon! And, just to keep the immune system up and running during cold/flu season. I also don't eat enough greens...

Haven't started any other supplements yet, but my physician who focuses on optimal health, has suggested some probiotics and such. I might try them. Interested to see what others have success with and how they impact their symptoms and overall digestive health.

--------------------
Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product.
--Eleanor Roosevelt

#226765 - 11/22/05 05:13 PM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

Hi there,

I take 3 tp.of Acacia a day, usually before each meal. I have fibercon just in case when I'm out to take before eating something questioable.

I take propax vitamins with NT factor that has probiotic type supplement in it. I also take calcium each day.

I take an immodium if I'm going out and feel I'll be stressed as a preventive. I also have lomotil for those bad times.

I just got a prescription for Lexapro which I haven't started taking yet. My biggest factor in IBS is stress. I'm much better though since I watch what I eat more and breathe deeply!

Sandy

Keeping it simple new
      #226766 - 11/22/05 05:21 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'm an A, but my attacks are/were almost always D, so I think I fit in better here.

I take Fiber Choice chewables, 3 or 4 a day, for 6-8g total SF from the supplement. (Yes, that's low, but that's what I stabilized at, so I'm not messing with it!)

And that's it!

When I remember to take them, I take a Flintstones chewable vitamin (the only one that doesn't bother my stomach) and a calcium-plus-D supplement, don't remember the brand. But I rarely remember to take them!

When I have an attack, I typically don't take anything at all anymore, I just eat all SF and ride it out... but if I have somewhere to be, I take an Imodium.

#226768 - 11/22/05 05:37 PM
nattysmom

Reged: 11/17/05
Loc: New Jersey

This is so helpful for me. I am trying to get stable and trying soo hard to follow the diet. My husband is an Italian chef so it is soooo hard. I am glad to have this support. Thanks all!

--------------------
IBS-D and hating it

Pretty simple here too... new
      #226774 - 11/22/05 06:11 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

~3 tbsp Acacia a day (I take this more like food, and just add it to my meals... I always take 1 tbsp in tea in the mornings, and then the rest of the day I get in what I can. It's usually around ~3 tbsp.)

LIFE brand Women's Daily One multivitamin

600mg (elemental) calcium carbonate + vitamin D

That's it. I also drink lots of Traditional Medicinals Eater's Digest tea (peppermint/fennel/ginger and other stuff).

Oh, and Immodium whenever I need it (i.e. if I have D and *need* to go out)

I also have one bottle of peppermint caps left so I take those to calm my stomach whenever I need to eat something iffy or eat during a really stressful situation etc.

...OK *that's* it

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 491 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 50053

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review