All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Treatment of lactose intolerance
      #226532 - 11/21/05 03:32 PM
torre

Reged: 11/14/05

Maybe someone can explain to me what I am doing wrong! Whenever I have milk products I either have lactose-free items or I take Ultra-Lactaid pills beforehand. I even time myself to finish the milk product within 30 minutes and yet I still suffer with abdominal pain, bloating and diarrhea! Please Help!!! Thanks Torre

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Treatment of lactose intolerance new
      #226534 - 11/21/05 03:47 PM
MusicLady

Reged: 09/04/05
Loc: Texas, USA

Hi I'm relatively new to this but from what I understand, it's not just the lactose that gives us IBS problems; it's the milk proteins like whey & casein. Heather spells it out here.

I was terribly disappointed when I found this out but there are so many benefits to eliminating dairy--I feel so much better! Also there are lots of milk-free things we can eat; I like "rice dream" ice cream, tofutti cream cheese and soy milk or rice milk, both of which can be used for cooking.

--------------------
Michelle

#226535 - 11/21/05 03:51 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

If you have IBS then you cannot have any milk products at all. None. Not even if they are free of lactose, and not even if you take lactaid. Lactose is a milk sugar that is only one of the many things in milk that are hard to digest. There are other things, like casein and whey, that irritate the IBS stomach. Stay away. Switch to soy or rice milk. Have you read Heather's books and familiarized yourself with the diet? This website is meant to be a supplement and doesn't work very well as a primary source for figuring out the diet.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#227299 - 11/25/05 05:28 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

I'm lactose intolerant, and even before I had IBS, I couldn't tolerate Lactaid milk or just taking lactaid pills with dairy, I'd still have awful stomach pains. So even without factoring in the IBS, on some people it still doesn't work. The best thing is to just forgo the dairy and get some yummy soy milk or rice milk, plus all the other soy/rice dairy replacements available, much better on the stomach! Some people with IBS don't tolerate soy well though, so you'll have to see how you handle it (I've always handled soy just fine).

--------------------
IBS-C

#227308 - 11/25/05 06:56 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

....Have you read Heather's books and familiarized yourself with the diet? This website is meant to be a supplement and doesn't work very well as a primary source for figuring out the diet.....

I am so glad someone said this! I'm not sure I would be as stable as I am today if I had only depended on the boards for the program.

I read everything on this entire website, read both of Heather's books and use the boards as an assist with the everyday issues of IBS. Sometimes it does sound like a few people may be only be using the boards in the beginning of their IBS walk. Since IBS is so different in each individual the boards could be confusing if you don't have a basic knowledge of the KNOWN triggers and safe foods.

Trial and error but being loaded with all the proven information as a basis is a good way to find your way out of this maze we call IBS...good luck and keep plugging along it is so worth it.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

me too, fishnets new
      #227354 - 11/26/05 07:53 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I was diagnosed lactose intollerant when I was like 3 - my dad is and so was my grandfather, and when my sister turned 3 she was diagnosed with it too. But, unlike all those other people, Lactaid never, ever, ever, ever worked for me. Ditto for most lactose-free milk products. BUT I tested negative for a "milk allergy" on the allergy tests. Obviously though, I couldn't tolerate it, so I've lived a mostly milk-free life as it is.

My theory? I've probably had IBS all my life, and it was just mis-diagnosed as lactose intollerance. Happily (I guess!) it didn't get really bad until I hit my 20's, but it's probably always been there to some degree. I mean, if I cheated a little and had just a spoonful of someone else's ice cream, say at a restaurant for dessert, by the time we'd get back to the car I'd be in urgent need for a bathroom. That's clearly not just lactose intollerance

OK, I'm done rambling, lol

#227446 - 11/26/05 01:02 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

As far as I know and I have experienced there is NO TREATMENT for lactose intolerance besides abstinence. Lactaid pills don't work. Lactaid milk always sent me to the toilet within minutes. If you're lactose intolerant, be kind to yourself and simply abstain from dairy.

There are many dairy-free "not-milks" and tons of food calcium sources that never heard of a cow.

Kate.

Re: me too, fishnets new
      #227474 - 11/26/05 03:22 PM
uwponine

Reged: 03/19/05
Loc: Wisconsin

I am the same way. Do not officially have the allergy but can't eat any of it. Grew up that way so don't miss it.

Lactaid doesn't work w/ IBS. I am IBS-C. So, learn about the wonders of soy and rice based products. I prefer rice milk, cheese. They are quite good and healthy too!

--------------------
IBS-C with major bloat!
Gluten Free Vegan

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3634 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1541

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review