All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
No Matter what I eat, I still cramp!
      #226497 - 11/21/05 11:40 AM
unhappycramper2

Reged: 11/21/05
Loc: Anaheim,Ca.

I wanted to post into a site where other people share my symptoms. I'm sorry if this is the wrong Forum,Is this site only for the IBS Diet? Can you direct me to other Forums that may help me? Thank You!

This has been going on and off for almost the past Five years. About three or four times a year, I would get this gasto-intestinal problem..the cramps,the diarhea,de-hydration,and nausea. Always thought it might be what I ate. I love Mexican, and Italian,enjoy beer and margaritas too. But since this happened,NO Coffee, NO Tea, NO Beer, NO spicy food,NO Pizza (My favorite) basically NO FUN!
The doctor prescribed Donnatal (Phenobarb) to help with the cramping, but also causes constipataion,which I don't need.

Anyway, about five months ago, I started cramping and hearing loud Gurgling stomach noises that seem to be chronic, because to this day, has never gone away. Whatever I eat or drink (I adheared somewhat to a IBS soluble fiber...apples,applesauce,potatoes, white rice,pasta) but still get the cramping.

I have had a Colonoscopy,Upper GI/Lower bowel, blood work and occult test testing for parasites...(I accidently ingested about a cupful of some Colorado river water by mistake - Yuck) Even a Prostate exam.The results of all this....NORMAL! Except for the colonoscopy showed mild Diverticulosis, the GI/Lower Bowel showed GURD,and all my symptoms seem to point to IBS is what the doctor said. No Ulcers, no heartburn. The pain seems to be all in the lower stomach, pelvic area.

The next step is a CT Scan,but I can't afford that. I have no Insurance.That result will probably be normal too and that they will say my problem is caused by STRESS! I've heard that Stress can do this. Excercise would help,but I feel too weak to even walk.

I have lost 25 lbs in three months. Not a very healthy way to lose it,but if I eat or drink...anything at all,I always get the cramping....And sometimes I get this undefinable,excruciating pain somewhere in my lower extremities that I have to hold on to something until it passes,usually lasts about 30 seconds or so,I feel the urine tract,bowels,colon, all that area, just very bad painful episodes. Don't know what causes this,but doubtful it's a urinary problem.

They say that there is no cure for IBS, if that's what I have,but still, I don't imagine living with this constant pain for the rest of my life with some small hope that this pain will eventually go away.

I'm sick of being sick! Anyone out there share these symptoms and what did you do about it. Thank You!
UnhappyCramper

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Hi! new
      #226499 - 11/21/05 11:50 AM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

I"m sorry, I don't have any advice for you. I'm in the same boat you are, though. Every single think I eat makes me feel sick. They think it might be my gallbladder, though. I have had all the other tests run and I have IBS-D and a hiatal hernia. That's about it! But, I feel sooooo bad!!!!!!!
I hope you get to feeling better soon and get on a soluble fiber supplement (it helps) and continue the BTC diet and one day, hopefully, everything will start ironing itself out. I have been on this diet since August 2nd, and I'm still not stable.
Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

Michelle, remember that it take time! new
      #226589 - 11/22/05 01:08 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

It took me six months of sticking to the diet 100%, taking my Acacia and using all the meds my doc suggested to get stable.

Re: No Matter what I eat, I still cramp! new
      #226590 - 11/22/05 01:10 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Try doing this diet 100%. SF only foods are NOT healthy long-term, especially if you get any C! You need to learn how to eat healthily and IBS-safely.

You also need to address those anxiety issues. Have you considered hypno and/or yoga?

Donnatal is a pretty strong anti-spasmodic but it is addictive and can cause C. Has your doc not tried any other anti-spasmodics?

Some Things To Consider new
      #226668 - 11/22/05 10:10 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm sorry to hear you are in constant pain.

First of all, it's very important to stick to the diet although it may take awhile to figure out exactly what in Heather's diet is safe for you and what is not.

Not everything that is supposedly safe will be okay for you and not everything that is supposedly unsafe will be unsafe for you. That just seems to be the nature of IBS -- each of us is a little different with varying tolerances.

However, some trigger foods are pretty much universal so you should probably stay away from them (as you already are) -- at least for the time being.

Secondly, you need to consider your food supply. If you are eating poor quality food (an apple is no longer an "apple" anymore -- it can be some pesticide-riddled, genetically modified version of an apple!), then this could affect your IBS. I have long held that additives, preservatives and other chemicals used by mainstream food manufacturers, etc. in food can irritate some people with IBS. For example, I suffered ongoing pain and nausea until I switched over from conventional to organic produce.

Thirdly, I have found that even the most minute amount of an irritating food or ingredient can trigger an IBS attack. So for some people controlling IBS can be like walking on a tight rope. Other people are not as severe and don't have to be so careful. Unfortunately I am in the former group and must be very careful.

Yesterday I tried some soya milk for the first time. I finally found a brand of soya milk at our local Wholefood store that contains absolutely no additives ... just the pure soya milk. (I had been looking for an additive-free soya milk for a long time.) To start I just had a quarter of a teaspoon after a meal containing lots of soluble fibre. I have to be THAT careful! Luckily I was fine so tonight I will try a half-teaspoon and gradually increase day by day if I am okay. Again, this illustrates how careful some of us have to be in order to avoid pain and attacks.

Despite this caution (which is very much second nature for me now), I am happy to say that I lead a good life that is virtually IBS pain-free. I only get pain once in a blue moon when I happen to eat too much of a "challenging food" such as a particular vegetable. It took me a long time to reach this point, but I figure if a severe case (like me) can do it, then there is hope for you and everyone else on this message board. I hope you find your way to feeling better very soon.

Re: Michelle, remember that it take time! new
      #227448 - 11/26/05 01:05 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I second that, Linz! It took me about that long (4-6 months, I think) to get stable. I had to follow the diet 100%, drink tea, and take Immodium as needed AND as a preventive to get my symptoms in control. This doesn't mean I NEVER have attacks or pain, but currently the IBS is manageable and the good days outnumber the bad.

Edited by SPASMTASTICAL! (11/26/05 01:25 PM)

Re: Thanks you two!! I appreciate the support!!! new
      #227482 - 11/26/05 03:45 PM
anlikerm

It's hard enough trying to manage the IBS-D, without the acid reflux from my hiatal hernia!

But, I'm hangin' in there, following the diet religiously and the bloating is starting to go down a little bit, now that I'm back on my probiotic, thank god!! I still have attacks in the mornings but not as bad as 2 months ago!!
IBS for for the birds!! Let's see, it's been 3, almost 4 months now. December 2nd will be 4 months since I became unstable.

Thank you!
Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

#227485 - 11/26/05 03:49 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

From what I've been reading, you're doing a great job managing the IBS AND the acid reflux. Whew! I hope you keep on feeling better.

#227487 - 11/26/05 03:52 PM
anlikerm

I wish!! hehehehe...... Just kiddin'....Well, I do think I'm getting better. It's just a verrrrry slow process. I consider myself unstable, until I can get the nausea under control. I don't even care about the D attacks, and the cramps.....pains....whatever!! I can handle the pain.....I cannot handle the NAUSEA!! It sucks soooo bad.....
Thank you for all your support!!
Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2197 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1480

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review