All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Popcorn regrets - feeling awful
      #226401 - 11/21/05 03:54 AM
Gold

Reged: 10/19/05
Loc: London

I did something really stupid last night at the cinema and am now seriously regretting it, I was tempted by my partners popcorn (even though he warned me Id regret it in the morning) but I had about a cupful anyway thinking a small amiunt would be ok (Id had soluble fibre all day and thought that would stop any reaction if I had a small amount, I think i was just trying to convince myself at the time), and SO wish I hadn't! I've been feeling great the last few weeks following Heathers diet, but this morning I feel awful, exhausted bloated, gassy and just generally uncomfortable ( Im NEVER going to be tempted again!) – its not going to take days is it to get back to normal again? And is there anything I can do to help things get back to normal quicker like take a bigger dose of acacia with my lunch? What do u think?
Uncomfortably awaiting your reply :-(

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Popcorn regrets - feeling awful new
      #226402 - 11/21/05 04:16 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I don't have any suggestions to help you get back to normal. I just wanted to say that popcorn is my BIGGEST TRIGGER! I feel horrible after eating it. It bloats my tummy up so big. So I can feel your pain.

It is so tempting to eat that popcorn, especially when you're at the cinema and others are enjoying it. Good luck! I hope you feel better soon.

#226408 - 11/21/05 05:16 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Popcorn wrecks me too. Perhaps stick to high SF foods, today and drink lots of tea/water? I don't think that adding extra acacia will help. Maybe next time try Beano and/or Gas-X if you dare try it again? It's pretty explosive stuff.

Kate.

#226409 - 11/21/05 05:54 AM
MusicLady

Reged: 09/04/05
Loc: Texas, USA

Don't beat yourself up. Eating is largely social so it makes sense that when someone else is eating, esp at a social place like the cinema, that you would have wanted to eat too.

Maybe next time you could eat one of the pretzels they usually sell or some licorice. Lots of people can't stand it but it's my FAVORITE sweet thing to snack on and it's easy to stick a pack of them in my purse.

Anyway don't feel bad, we all do stuff like that. Two weeks ago I ate some pumpkin pie; I had eaten some before and was fine, but I had forgotten that it was a low-fat, low sugar version. Ha! After I ate just a few bites of the "real" one I was sick for three days!! I think it happens to everyone.

--------------------
Michelle

#226445 - 11/21/05 08:22 AM
JonnaP

Reged: 11/03/05
Loc: Kentucky

Probably won't take but a day or two of the BTC diet to get back on track.

But yeah, we've all been there... my huge weakness is the chips and dip our friends have for the Sunday night gaming sessions. Tears me to pieces. I had MAYBE a teaspoon of it last night... and I'm paying this morning.

Friday night though, I couldn't watch the HP4 movie without some popcorn (even though we brought safe snacks to eat as well). It just didn't seem right, ya know?

--------------------
Jonna, IBS-D

#226463 - 11/21/05 09:32 AM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

I'm sorry this happened to you!!! Popcorn used to be my all time favorite snack. I would munch on popcorn all day long in between my meals. Especially the kettle corn!! I can't even look at it, now! I still have about 6 boxes of it sitting up in my cabinet from 2 years ago.....before I came down with IBS-D. I can't make myself throw it away, thinking that one day I will be able to eat it again. Probably will NEVER happen, though. I'm so unstable right now, I can barely eat rice without getting D!!
Good Luck and be SUPER CAREFUL so you don't end up like me!!! I started out having one attack, too, and then a few weeks later, another and another and now, it's an everyday thing.....
Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

#226471 - 11/21/05 09:58 AM
Linds30

Reged: 11/21/05

I haven't been diagnosed with IBS but have been having some very troubling symptoms recently. I had some popcorn at the movies last weekend and it took me a whole week of eating virtually nothing to recover. This has been happening more and more lately, could it be IBS?

Re: I hate this topic... new
      #226517 - 11/21/05 01:24 PM
Wind

...it reminds me of the mini-snack packs I have in my cupboard and TEMPTS me when I know that it would cause me intense discomfort, among other things, at this time.

Hey--maybe I'll just pop it and smell it. Indeed--I think the smell and sounds of popcorn are better than popcorn. Now...I must reprogram myself/hypnotize myself into memorizing that new truth.

Yah, right, Kate--good luck.

Kate, IBS-D.

hullless popcorn new
      #226565 - 11/21/05 07:29 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Give hullless popcorn a try before you completely abandon the idea of ever eating popcorn again. I'm too sick these days to eat anything that isn't mushy SF, but when I was a bit more stable, I did handle hullless popcorn OK as long as I had ultra-safe SF beforehand, like a large plain baked potato or a few thick pieces of plain safe homemade bread. The only kind I've had is Black Jewel, both the microwave bags and the bulk bags. The microwave kind is easier but pretty high in fat (50%).

Oh, and to answer your question -- it really varies how long it takes to feel OK again. If you go back to ultra-safe food your stomach will probably calm down within a day or two. I wouldn't advise a bigger dose of fiber. If it's too much for your body you'll probably just feel even more gassy and bloated. Drink lots of hot tea and be nice to yourself.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Re: hullless popcorn new
      #226573 - 11/21/05 08:49 PM
Wind

I had another thought--have you tried organic puffed corn cereal? It isn't sweetened, so you could easily "enhance" it safely. Nature's Path makes it. Actually, it's not bad--I use it as a breadcrumb alternative and grind it up in my food processor, etc. I'm not sure if popcorn rice cakes are still available and how safe they are.

Kate.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1111 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1267

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review