All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Re: Hey, Julia! new
      #226632 - 11/22/05 08:45 AM
Draupadi

Reged: 07/16/05
Loc: Santa Cruz, California

Hey Cyndy!

I have never tried the powder, so I can't really say, but I know that other fiber supplements have worked best for me in liquid form...the powder tastes pretty awful, but I can feel it working right away, so I'd say it's worth it.

I don't feel like the peppermint caps are constipating me more, but they seem to be causing more cramps and a strange unsettled feeling...a different set of problems than I've experienced in the past. I also suffer from a lot of upper stomach discomfort, and I suspect that may be why I'm reacting negatively to the capsules.
What are your primary symptoms, besides C?
Is there anything that's been working for you?

--------------------
Julia

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I'm surprised more people aren't taking probiotics or ... new
      #226735 - 11/22/05 02:40 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I tried probiotics and got no beneficial effects. Same for digestive enzymes on a daily basis. And I do take anti-depressants, but that's for my Fibro - although they did help me cope better with the IBS they didn't affect my symptoms much. And I don't see how fish oil capsules could help me - plus I'm taking enough pills (for the Fibro) as it is!

Re: What type of excerise do you do? new
      #226762 - 11/22/05 05:02 PM
mickeymouse

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Canada

I do cardio for 30 minutes (either elliptical or rower, but rower is exhausting so only about 10 mins then 20 on elliptical), then I do about 30 mins or so of weights. Usually about 3 days a week (unless I have to study or something). I used to do yoga (which was amazing for relaxing/stress!!!) but don't have the time to do much now with both working and school...

#226861 - 11/23/05 10:40 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Quote:

I have never tried the powder

Did you mean you've never tried the tablets?

I am C, bloat, gas gas gas, cramps, spasms. So far, nothing has worked that I can pinpoint.

#226866 - 11/23/05 11:12 AM
Draupadi

Reged: 07/16/05
Loc: Santa Cruz, California

Oops! I meant I've never tried the tablets...
Your symptoms are very similar to mine. Have you tried powder SFs? They seem to produce less gas, pain, and bloating with me than the pills...I sincerely hope you do find something soon that provides relief for you. I know how frustrating this process can be!

--------------------
Julia

Re: I'm surprised more people aren't taking probiotics or ... new
      #226917 - 11/23/05 02:51 PM
nicolebee

Reged: 07/13/03
Loc: South Carolina, US

Probiotics actually stop me up more!!

I've had a hard time finding supplements to really help with bowel movements. I drink a lot of water everyday and usually exercise (although I've slacked off on that now that I work and go to school full time. Ugh.) I also drink my fiber or take tablets when I can't drink it. I would like to take a multivitamin, but most of those stop me up too. I've found whole foods vitamins are ok, but they are super expensive and usually a dose is 3-6 capsules. I drink fennel, peppermint, or ginger tea, depending on what I need it for.
Strangely though, I don't have a problem with dairy. The only time I really need to be careful is with yogurt. If I don't eat some sort of soluble fiber with it, I will get cramps. Now if I try to drink more than a serving of milk or eat a bunch of cheese without any fiber, I will pay for it, but usually I know how much is ok. Having the soluble fiber buffer really helps for me. Dairy does make it harder for me to "go" though, so I do try to make sure I take lots of fiber during the day.
This is probably moreinfo than was needed to respond, but I thought I'd share :-)

--------------------
Nicole
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

Edited by nicolebee (11/25/05 02:54 PM)

what kind and how much fiber do you take? new
      #226948 - 11/23/05 07:19 PM
Cyndy

And why do you think the digestive enzymes were making the C worse. I wouldn't think there would be any connection since the enzymes are just helping to break down food.

Is the fiber the only thing you take, then?

Thanks

Re: what kind and how much fiber do you take? new
      #227018 - 11/24/05 10:26 AM
nicolebee

Reged: 07/13/03
Loc: South Carolina, US

I take benefiber. When I'm stable I am often able to take metamucil, and that's if I make sure I have lots of other soluble fiber during the day. Strange isn't it. I take about 4 to 6 gms per day.
I'm not sure why the probiotics increased C. I just know it did and it wasn't pleasant. I guess it could have been the brand. Do you know of a good brand I could try? One thing I've learned though, is that there isn't one solution for everyone. I wish there was. There's always someone who something doesn't work for.

--------------------
Nicole
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

Are you looking for a digestive enzyme or a probiotic? new
      #227036 - 11/24/05 11:32 AM
Cyndy

In your original post, you said digestive enzymes caused C. But in the second post you referred to a probiotic. So, I'm not sure which one cause you C or what you would like a recommendation for.

do you take 4-6 grams of Benefiber or 4-6 grams of fiber worth of Benefiber? Is this working for you? I take 15 grams of fiber from my SFS/

Does the Gas Stop help you? new
      #227050 - 11/24/05 12:09 PM
Cyndy

I don't seem to notice them helping me at all with gas.

How much and how often do you take them? Thanks Michelle.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1393 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 39417

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review