All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Desperate for help with meds
      #225966 - 11/18/05 08:09 AM
Meryl36

Reged: 09/03/04
Loc: Dallas, Texas

Well I finally decided I need some additional help in the form of meds but I'm not sure what I should be asking my doc for. I'm IBS C most of the time & not as bad as some on this board. I usually have a BM ever day or every other day but EVERYDAY I have rumbling, gas & bloat. Some days are worse than other but every day it's always something. I'm so depressed about this I can't stand it anymore! I'm also incredibility tired all the time & lately I haven't wanted to do any of the things I used to enjoy. I also cry ALL THE TIME even over really stupid stuff. I just can't live like this anymore & I need help. I try to stick to Heather's diet but it's really hard for me. I take about 10 grams of SFS every day as well as stool softener, fish oil, vit b complex, acidophilus, & cal/mag. I start everyday with a soymilk/banana smoothie which usually helps me go & then I'm fine till I eat something. Then, no matter what I eat, I get the rumbles/grumbles, gas & bloat. I just want to stop thinking about my gut!
Sorry I'm whining so much but I just don't know what to do. I've decided to ask my GI guy about anti depressants but I'm not sure if I need that or an anti anxiety med or just an anti spasmodic.
If any C people out there could give me their input on what they're taking, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Also if anyone can recommend a good GI guy in Dallas Texas I'd appreciate that too.
Thanks
Meryl

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Desperate for help with meds new
      #226169 - 11/19/05 02:33 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Go and talk to your PCP or Gi about the depression and anxiety. It sounds like you ARE depressed so I think you need help for that whatever. An anti-spasmodic would be a pretty standard thing to try for the IBS! I'm surprised you haven't already been given one.

I would NOT suggest that you try Zelnorm as you are not that C and you are having spasming problems anyway. Zelnorm could make these worse. Actually, your stool softener MIGHT be making them worse - what are you on?

I would also strongly suggest that you get the hypno CDs and start them. They will help alot with your anxiety to do with the IBS and the attacks that stem from that.

And taking a SFS and following the diet WILL help, but it can take time.

#229971 - 12/07/05 04:33 PM
jojoruru

Reged: 12/07/05

Well, I had to write you because I saw your question about a good doctor in the Dallas area.I live in the DFW area also and would highly to recommend Dr. Spady to you (or Dr. Lacy b/c I know someone else that sees him). The location is actually in Grapevine near Baylor Hospital. I can even give you the number if you like. I hadn't seen a GI in 5 years because I was not impressed with my Dr. in Ft. Worth or the lack of advice he had to give. Things that have helped me are numerous but among them are: seeing a nutritionist, supplements (such as probiotics - like you), and seeing my GI doctor. I also suffer from IBS C, however, I cannot eat bananas or tolerate any soy products (I enjoy rice milk on a regular basis though) but everyone is different. I do think that there is a slight possibility that when you eat your next meal, it spurs on the rumbling because what you ate earlier (the smoothie) is moving on through...but that is just a thought and has certainly been my experience. I would love to give you more suggestions on what to eat, too, if you like. I have learned that there are a lot of wheat-free products and that eggs are okay for me as long as they are free-range. So normally in the morning I eat 1/3 cup of oatmeal and 1 whole egg with 2 egg whites (less fat for a multiple of reasons). I originally thought I was sensitive to eggs but found out it was the chemicals in them that made me sick. I hope you are doing well and feel free to write me any questions seeing how we live in the same area and all.

Wish you the best!
Joanna

#229974 - 12/07/05 04:58 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Have you tried donatol (helps with stomach spasms) and simethicone (helps with gas)? I swear by both of these, and they've made my life a LOT better.

Good for you for being proactive about your health! I hope you get the answers you deserve-- living with this is not easy! Good luck to you--

~nelly~

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1318 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 725

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review