All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Heather too, Can Levbid make you shaky, weak,tired?
      #22274 - 10/01/03 08:32 PM
marnie

Reged: 09/17/03

Hi everyone,

Just saw a post fr. BarbaraS who couldn't stabilize and was on Levinson (sp?). She said it made her SHAKY!

I had a colonoscopy last Wed. and had trouble after, pain, sleeplessness, feeling out of it, unsteady, etc.

Finally, I thought I was doing better, but get very shaky & weak and wonder after seeing BarbS's post if it's the Levbid the GI Dr. gave me?????

This happens right before and after having BM's and just doesn't seem to go away after!!!!! Even feel that way most of the time, I guess.......! I take 1 at nite, tho the pharmacist said usual dose is one 2 x day. STUPIDLY fell asleep w/out taking it last nite and was a wreck today!!!! Running to the bathroom a lot...! Felt like I couldn't even stand to take a shower........so FINALLY did take nice long bath. One good thing!!!! BUT........EVERYTHING IS A HUGE EFFORT when feeling like this! And I can't stand feeling this way. Feel like a cripple..........!

Before that I was taking Phenegran(generic name is Promethazine) 25 mg. 1/2 tab abt 2 x da. This was doing a pretty good job re the pain and didn't see any side effects. GI said Levbid is better....... (fewer side effects) but am SURE WONDERING??? Think my reg doc said Phenegran could cause glaucoma and wouldn't prescribe it.

I used to take Bentyl many many years ago which did a bit more than zilch. Then Librax for years 3 x day which I had pretty much gotten off of. (I probably should not have done that!!!!!) When this D attack started in early July,I felt like the Librax made me GOOOOOOOO!!!!!

With a lot and I mean a lot of fiber supplements & Calcium, I'm not having the D so much lately, but HAVE NEVER HAD A D ATTACK THAT LASTED THIS LONG.......! Also, I've NEVER FELT THIS SHAKY !!!!!! (Now.......there is this weak & shaky problem keeping me in the house!!!!!!!). Yes, I've felt shaky before, BUT NEVER ANYTHING LIKE THIS!!!!!

I keep reading abt. stabilizing & thought it just meant the symptoms, but fr. posts am getting the idea that it means being able to eat some halfway decent foods too! My diet is bread, oatmeal, bananas, chicken noodle soup, potatoes, noodles, chicken breast rice milk, carrots and some zucchini and that's abt it.Seems I could eat more things before the colonoscopy.....! A while ago I did buy some soy milk and some days have a couple ounces of that cause Heather said I need to be getting some soy in my diet and I'm really afraid of bean products because of past REALLY BAD experiences.

Am wondering 2 things:

1. Could the Levbid be causing the shaky & weak, etc. problems and would you retry the Librax? Feel like I want to now that I have more bulk.

2. What foods and When can I introduce them into my diet to get more of whatever it is that I need?

Afraid I don't know much abt. the diet. I assume tofutti is from tofu (soybeans). Am I correct? Looks to me like soy products are the main source of protein in the diet?

The depression is REALLY getting to me. Just want to sleep all the time and that's NOT ME!!! Supposed to go for lunch w/girlfriends tom. but don't know if I w/make it. Also have a big reunion that I'm on the committee for this weekend and just don't know if I can go feeling this shaky & crummy to put it mildly! THE VERY FEW TIMES I'VE been OUT THIS SUMMER, I've gotten sick even tho I've tried to be very careful w/the food!!!!!!

Thanks!

Marnie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Heather too, Can Levbid make you shaky, weak,tired? new
      #22277 - 10/01/03 08:45 PM
Kris

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: Vancouver Island, BC

I'm really not sure about the drugs...but in answer to one of your questions, soy is not the main protein. there is also Turkey and Chicken Breast which are low in fat, as well as seafoods such as Sole and Snapper and Salmon, as well as egg whites, small amounts of peanut butter (fat), and soy milks. Myself I can't tolerate a lot of soy or beans or tofu, so I stick to the chicken etc, making sure that I get enough protein every day. I find that the calcium chewables by Caltrate really help slow things down in my gut.
Take Care,
Kris

--------------------
Be the change you want to see in the world.

#22279 - 10/01/03 08:59 PM
marnie

Hi Kris and thanks......

You helped me clear up some diet stuff. I too eat aLOT of Chicken & turkey. Good thing I like it as you must, but it does get a bit BORING. Hate fish tho....cept stuff like tuna and C-food: shrimp, scallops & lobster. TOO BAD they aren't cheaper........but then nothing is these days......! So..guess I'm not doing soooo bad as I like egg whites & peanut butter too.

Sounds like we're alot alike in the not being able to eat soy products. I like the rice milk tho and plan to try more rice foods. Vanilla is delish....!

Think calcium helps me too....... Chewables.......that's interesting. They are probably more interesting than pills....LOL

Thanks again for answering w/the help!

Marnie

#22292 - 10/02/03 07:24 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Hi Marine,
I'm sorry you are not having a good time right now. Hope you feel better soon.

I take Levsin as needed for spasm and my doctor lowered my dose so I can handle the side effects better and take it three times a day instead of the two. I do not know anything about Levbid and it's side effects. You may want to do a search under google.com for information about Levbid.

Also I do not handle medications very well. My doctor had to take me off Librax. Since Librax has worked in the past why are you not taking it now? The shakiness and weakness can be from having alot of D and not getting enough fluids to replace the D. Just a thought.

Sounds like you are eating the right foods, but you need to get more insoluble foods in your diet once you are stable. You are only eating bananas for fruit, so try applesauce. If you are buying canned chicken soup look at the ingredients and make sure there is no MSG in it. Add rice to your diet. I love a chicken breast over rice with salsa added to it. Don't eat the salsa if you are not stable.

Hope this helps and I'm sure Heather will have better advice.

BarbS Re: Heather too, Can Levbid make you shaky, weak,tired? new
      #22345 - 10/02/03 08:39 PM
marnie

Hi Barb,

The pharmacist told me that the only difference btn Levbid is that you take it 2 x day whereas you take Levsin 4 x da. The GI just has me taking it 1 x day at nite. In other words, they are the same drug. This woman pharmacist is really GREAT......she seems to know more abt. the drugs than the Drs and she is happy to answer my questions!!!!!

Just never felt this way before taking it......ugh... to put it mildly. You bring up a very good point. "WHY am I not taking the Librax now?" I was really quite a bit better for some time ( seems like ages) and therefore "stupidly" stopped it, except for an occasional one. I hate taking so many drugs.....take 2 for blood pressure, prevacid and zyrtec.....oh also use nasonex, these last 2 are for allergies. We just got a notice in the mail today that our prescriptions are going to go UP 60%........!!!!! UNREAL!!!!!

Then when this D started this summer, I was afraid Librax would make me go .....as it SEEMED that just everything did!!!!! Then a Dr. explained to me that it doesn't make you go. Think I am going to tell the GI and go back on it.

That's a good idea to do a search on Google! Thanks for the tip.

Am wondering what all the side effects are that you have had on the Levinson?????, cause as I said, I've felt shaky before, etc., but NEVER like this!

I'm sorry you can't take Librax. I guess a lot of these things tire you out, but I never noticed ANY side effects inc. being drowsy on the Librax. I do notice being exhausted, etc. on the Levbid and wonder if that is why the GI just has me taking it at night. I don't think that it's from dehydration now cause w/the Levbid & ALOT of fiber supplements, I am doing so much better. Oh....yes, calcium too.

Good point on the soups re the msg. W/check that immediately!!!!! It's amazing how much we learn from each other. That's one reason this site is just so great!

Boy, that chick/rice and salsa sounds great. I can't eat anything spicy, but think there are some that are quite mild and maybe I could water them down or use just a smitch.

Thanks for answering and for all the helpful tips.

Marnie

Re: BarbS Re: Heather too, Can Levbid make you shaky, weak,tired? new
      #22362 - 10/03/03 07:12 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

You are welcome Marine.

Yes I agree with you the Pharm. know more about drugs than doctors. My primary doctor seems to know alot about drug intereactions and he prescribes my meds. now. I'm sorry you have had bad luck with your doctors. Hope you can find a good one soon.

You are on alot of meds. and I can't help think some of those are intereacting with each other. Ask your pharm. about it.

I have a very hard time taking medicine, so side effects are usually worse for me. When we lived in Texas I had allergies and finally gave up on allergy meds., because it would cause me to fall asleep. I have three very active boys and couldn't be falling asleep on them.

I hope you can find good info. about Levbid on google.

You can make your own salsa - it's very easy. Cut up four to five tomatoes, 1/2 cup red oinion, 1/4 cup cilantro and squeeze two to three fresh limes on top. You can add a jalepeno pepper to make it spicer. It's yummy and no additives!!! I do not eat salsa plain, especially with fresh onions in it.

One more thing, I don't about Librax making you have D. I'm IBS-C and any drug that has a side effect of D will be my friend. LOL

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 945 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 903

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review