All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
a thought about your suggetions...
      #222576 - 11/01/05 12:52 PM
budahbelly

Reged: 10/26/05
Loc: Virginia

So i'm still feeling really crappy. I know y'all said to be patient and i really am trying, but as you can imagine its hard when you feel this badly. It's hard to grasp the "i know you dont feel better, but you're getting better" concept...

This is what i was thinking/questioning: my symptoms (C, bloat) got worse when i tried the all soluble fiber diet to "break the cycle," to which many of you receomended i start incorperating IF since its essential for C.ers. I've also started taking some Benefiber (I've ordered the Acacia)- 1/2 tsp with meals, which i thought was a good starting off point- but still i am C. and bloated beyond belief, so uncomfortable and unhappy. So i was thinking, since it was the overdose of sluble fiber that seemed to get me in this worsen state in the first place, why would it help me to take even MORE through continuing to base my meals on it and taking the Benefiber? Do i need to up my IF? I am just at a total loss as to what would be the best method to take right now, like would more or less fiber ( and of which kind) get things moving for me the fastest/most efficiently? I feel like ive put more fiber into my system then usual recently ( which i thought was the right thing to do), and its only made things worse... I just need a game plan as to what to eat/do to get me out of this rut.

Stable IBS-Cers- PLEASE tell me what do you (used to) eat/take when you are (were) extremely C. and bloated?

I'm sorry to keep bombarding y'all with questions, but i just think i can get a lot out of your advice (i've ordered the book and its on its way). Hopefully soon i'll be better so i can give some tips myself!
Thanks SO much

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: a thought about your suggetions... new
      #222583 - 11/01/05 01:20 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Keep taking all your SF to cushion your system and keep upping your IF intake. You might find it helpful to reread this section of SF/IF.

You might want to see your doc and get some Zelnorm or Miralax tho (if you're not on them already)....meds can be very helpful on the road to stabilising.

HTH!

How's your water intake? new
      #222591 - 11/01/05 01:36 PM
Alyson McG

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: Vancouver Washington (IBS-A, but D prominant)

A good rule of thumb I've always used is to make sure you are getting 1/2 your body weight. What I mean is take your weight, divide in half. That's how many ounces you should be consuming at the least. Example; a 200 pound person should get at least 100 ozs water per day. this should definitely be done, especially when you are taking in extra fiber. Just a thought.

HTH Alyson

--------------------
Everything in life happens for a reason, patience will eventually tell us what that is......

#222594 - 11/01/05 01:47 PM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

At my worst, I added minimal amounts of IF to meals (example: a few strawberries with my breakfast, a piece of lettuce on a sandwich ect...) only if I wasn't in pain. If I was in pain, I stuck to say, toast for breakfast, a plain baked sweet potatoe at lunch, and very small amounts of only white meat with safely cooked veggies and some SF for dinner. I slowly added Acacia and really pushed my water intake. It was easily a month before things moved on a daily basis, and another month or two before the bloat got managable.

I'm pretty stable now, but if I drop off on the water or the IF I get in trouble again. Gas is probably my worst problem at present - still pondering whether or not I am willing to try the Fennel - but the pain, bloat and C is gone. It took most of a year to get solidly stable - going every day - so no one is joking when we say patience is the key. Narrowed down - an SF base (for me, Acacia), plenty of water and plenty of IF keeps me pretty happy. Feel better soon!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#222596 - 11/01/05 01:59 PM
tcollins

Reged: 01/19/05
Loc: Mississippi, USA

Read "My IBS Story" This has really worked for me. Some think it's nothing but a sales pitch but I am doing great.
My IBS Story
Best wishes
Terry

#223088 - 11/03/05 07:19 PM
budahbelly

Reged: 10/26/05
Loc: Virginia

Thanks everyone!

#223097 - 11/03/05 09:12 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

It could also be the type of fiber supplement you're using. I tried Citrocel-gave me symptoms, Benefiber-did nothing, Acacia-major symptoms, and finally I tried Metamucil and it worked wonderfully! But if you notice many people here warn against using it as for some it's not well tolerated, and for most Acacia works great. So you never know. Keep in mind though, whatever you try make sure you start at a very small dose and slowely work your way up!

--------------------
IBS-C

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 859 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1257

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review