All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
PROBIOTIC SUCCESS! ENTERIC
      #222457 - 11/01/05 08:20 AM
glitzygirl

Reged: 11/01/05

Hi!
I just wanted everyone to know that after years of IBS (since I was a child), and unbearable symptoms over the last 5 years (hard rocks and persistant cramping and spasms, always constipated, no real bowel movements, chronic use of fiber, laxatives, some enemas, etc) I have found the one single remedy: enteric coated probiotic, one brand in particular that really works!

I tried the recommendations here on this site, but the soluble fiber always made me worse, and still does.

It has taken several months to be able to truly say I'm actually normal, with full evacuation every day and even when I have bad days with a clenched gut, the next day I still have a normal bowel movement.

Now, I know everyone with IBS is used to being descriptive about symptoms just to try to understand what is going on, so, as a student in the biological sciences, I will proceed with the theory behind this success.

In the first place, studies using probiotics may have a few flaws, explaining why there are always mixed results. Scientific studies require that only one variable is isolated for study. But I believe the problem is not corrected with only one remedy.

Second, probiotics must make it down to the colon to be effective. Only enteric coated probiotics escape the stomach acids. I'm not aware of studies which use enteric coated probiotics.

Third, there are foods which many people have trouble digesting such as broccoli, cabbage, beans, onions, etc. These are the foods that bothered me, as evidenced by the immediate bloating and gas. So a study can't ignore the effects of undigested food on the gut.

The theory is as follows:
The stool should be made up primarily of bacteria. The main role that fiber really should play is that of feeding the bacteria in the gut. Too much fiber actually adds too much bulk to the stool and is a hardship on the gut, especially if you have irritable bowel. For me, all fiber supplements are a problem and cause me to revert to cramping and inappropriate peristalsis of the colon, causing hard dry balls and rocks, even rectal impaction.

If irritation occurs, either from undigested food or other factors, including laxatives and enemas, inflammation and inappropraite peristalsis can occur including cramping along the entire digestive tract. This can also lead to a reduction in the necessary flora and an overgrowth of bad bacteria. Other factors can also cause this including the use of antibiotics. The lining is compromised and a vicious cycle results.

When probiotics are initially reintroduced into the digestive tract, they must first establish colonies in the lining. This is a slow process because healing must also take place. All irritants must be removed such as undigested food. So cruciferous veggies, along with onions, peppers, etc must not be consumed.

Plus, the environment must be made more acidic for these "acid loving" bacteria. That's where acid fruits and veggies come in. Also, milk products help promote the growth of friendly bacteria.

I have not used a laxative or other remedy for 4 months. I avoid the so called "healthy" foods such as broccoli, cabbage, radishes, turnips, beans, onions, peppers, and too much spice.

I enjoy 1% milk, Nancy's cottage cheese and fat free yogurt, Wallmart brand bran flakes, most fruits, including raspberries, coffee, tea (not peppermint,it gives me a stomach ache, as do all herbal teas, but not consistently!) I don't worry about how much or what type of fiber is in my food. I do avoid white bread, except once in awhile, because it has always caused me problems. So I eat whole wheat bread. I also eat English muffins, brown rice, potatoes, carrots, green beans, peaches, pears, apricots, raisins, dates, pecans, walnuts, bananas, salad, tomatoes, tuna, chicken, sausage, eggs, and just about anything I want. If I have a bad day (which are now few and far between) I just make sure I eat some cottage cheese or yogurt with fruit or veggies, and a bowl of bran flakes.

Anyway, I hope this helps. Just remember its a slow process and at first it's hard to see any difference...but results can first be noticed within a week.

The specific brand of probiotic which really delivers what it says it delivers is by Nature's Secret: Ultimate Probiotic 4-Billion. I get 45 tablets for about $28. I use one per day, but at first I found it necessary to use more. Solaray also makes an enteric coated one called Multidophilus-12 enteric coated (be sure to look for the enteric coated label). I found Solary less effective. Perhaps the potency is compromised, since refrigeration is required on that one.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: PROBIOTIC SUCCESS! ENTERIC new
      #222476 - 11/01/05 08:49 AM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

Thanks for this post! I'm going to get some of this TODAY! I hope it helps me like it has helped you!
Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

Re: PROBIOTIC SUCCESS! ENTERIC new
      #222480 - 11/01/05 08:53 AM
anlikerm

I looked up these probiotics and they are liquid gelcaps, not enteric coated.....
Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

This probiotic contains FOS
      #222485 - 11/01/05 09:03 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

It does contain FOS which is a form of Inulin, we think, according to this post: FOS .
Inulin can cause bloat and gas. I was going to buy a product with FOS in it until the man at the HFS looked up FOS in his info book and it said it could cause problems. He suggested I not buy it because of my sensitive tummy.

Glad it works for you...but others may have problems with it.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: PROBIOTIC SUCCESS! ENTERIC
      #222506 - 11/01/05 09:57 AM
glitzygirl

then you looked at the wrong ones...perhaps there are some similar?? the Nature's Secret Ultimate Probiotic 4 billion is actually a tablet,not liquid.

Re: This probiotic contains FOS
      #222507 - 11/01/05 10:02 AM
glitzygirl

I understand a need to watch out...been there done that for years, but...perhaps its time to try something that works...something that is so simple and easy, beyond established "wisdom." Besides, fos is a prebiotic that feeds the bacteria and is in such a small amount. But, I understand your reluctance.

Jarrodophilus EPS - enteric coated - 4 billion live - $12....-nt-
      #222515 - 11/01/05 10:15 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#222518 - 11/01/05 10:17 AM
anlikerm

No, it said online that it was a liquid gel capsule....that produces a barrier when it comes in contact with stomach acid. Here's the site where I found it.
http://www.n101.com/Static/Products/ultimate_probiotic_4-billion_710363265212.html

--------------------
Unstable

#222525 - 11/01/05 10:47 AM
budahbelly

Reged: 10/26/05
Loc: Virginia

Glitzygirl- so when you started takng this stuff, you cut out all "cruciferous" veggies ( what exactly are those?), ate acidic fruits and veggies (like...?), and ate dairy,(is that essential? i think dairy bothers me)- is that right? Do you still eat that way? And as for the things you said you avoid (broccoli,etc), how did you figure that out, just found they noticibly made things worse? Better still, how did you come to realize that this method was the way to go? Just tried it for a while and thigns eventually got better? Just curious...

#222530 - 11/01/05 10:53 AM
glitzygirl

I cut and pasted this:

Each high tech tablet of Ultimate Probiotic 4-Billion forms a patented gel barrier around the capsule as soon as it comes in contact with the fluids in your stomach. This one millimeter thick protective gel barrier ensures that the delicate probiotic organisms inside are safely delivered into the low acid environment of your upper intestines. The result? Better digestion, enhanced energy and immune support. No other product on the market delivers more live organisms into the digestive system than Ultimate Probiotic 4-Billion.

no mention of liquid anywhere. The gel coat is over the tablet. Anyway...what does it matter as long as it makes it to the colon intact?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 823 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 18801

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review