All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
so about oatmeal...
      #222375 - 10/31/05 08:05 PM
budahbelly

Reged: 10/26/05
Loc: Virginia

(sorry if i'm repeating questions already asked- i did a search for "oatmeal" but couldnt find exactly what i wanted in the posts)

So the general consensus is that most people do better/ well with instant oatmeal rather than the real stuff. I originally figured this was b/c the real stuff is whole grain while instant isnt, but i was looking and saw that many (most of what i saw, even) instants are whole grain too. Any ideas why they are generally better tolerated? And in what ways does it bother you? Hearing it bothered some people i looked for some Cream of Rice, but all i could find had no fiber at all in it (or it was made from whole g. brown rice, thus iF). I don't even realy like it, was just doing it for the SF and as a sub. for oatmeal, but guess i could add in some benefiber.
I do LOVE oatmeal, but guess i should stay away from it, at least until i'm better...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: so about oatmeal... new
      #222380 - 10/31/05 08:37 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Be sure to scrutinize instant oatmeal labels. Many, i.e. Quaker, contain modified milk ingredients and that is a really really really bad thing.

Kate, IBS-D.

#222384 - 10/31/05 08:54 PM
budahbelly

(yea i'm staying away from dariy, at least for now. Not sure if it bothers me, but just to be safe)

I forgot to say, I bought some instant oatmeal that did not say whole grain, and has 3g SF and 1g IF- ok as a morning starter, you think (maybe with some added benefiber)?
Just not liking the blah cream of rice, which doesn't even have any fiber anyway...

#222392 - 11/01/05 12:44 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Yep all instant oatmeal will be whole grain...it's actually made from just the same stuff as rolled oats, but the beauty of it is, they've already minimised the IF by grinding it all up (you know how we puree vegges, etc - well this works the same)! So what IF is in there is minimised so you can enjoy the lovely SF....and get safe IF! But yep, do check for triggers.

#222397 - 11/01/05 02:50 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Yep, it's all whole grain. The whole reason oatmeal can be tricky for some people in the first place is because it's equal parts soluble and insoluble fiber. Instant oatmeal is cut into finer pieces - VERY fine pieces, heh - which can make the insoluble part easier for people to digest.

Personally, I'm fine with oatmeal, though, even the old-fashioned rolled kind, and quite a few people are. If you really love your oatmeal, you might want to give it a try and see how you do. I add banana to mine for a bit of extra SF.

If you do try the instant, be careful of what flavor you buy - some of them contain dairy, and it's not always the obvious ones, either!

And if you're still looking for a substitute, you can also try cream of wheat. By the way, a lot of the time these cereals will be listed as having 0g fiber, but they ARE still SF. You can't always go by the "dietary fiber" count on the label.

Hope that helps!

#222426 - 11/01/05 07:13 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I eat instant oatmeal in the mornings, but I usually have it with white toast and chamomile. I seem to handle it better if I have the toast, probably because it increases the SF amount. However, I don't see a problem with adding Benefiber to the oatmeal or drinking a glass of water mixed with Benefiber before eating.

#222430 - 11/01/05 07:17 AM
budahbelly

Thanks everyone- I'm gonna give it a try

#222434 - 11/01/05 07:25 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Stirring in/mixing a tablespoon of benefiber into your oatmeal will certainly make it "creamier" as well as add SF.

I've mixed benefiber into soups, applesauce, smoothies, "salad" dressings/sauces, etc.

Try it.

Kate, IBS-D.

#222452 - 11/01/05 08:14 AM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

also, in terms of instants, i strongly recommend quaker's take heart oatmeal, and kashi's heart to heart - they both have extra SF. as an added bonus, they're in a slightly larger serving size, so one is enough for a good breakfast. the blueberry and raisin varieties have a little more IF, so make sure to check the labels still, but i'm a big fan of these both. oh, and they taste really good.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

#222455 - 11/01/05 08:19 AM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

The Take Heart has a trigger in it for some people, including me. It was triggering my D attacks every single morning until I finally figured out what it was. Now that I have stopped eating that, my colon has stopped moving all together!! Maybe I should start eating it again! Just kididng.....I threw away the box but I could actually taste the artificial sweetner in it. It's something like sucralose or sorbitol......something like that. Check the box.
Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 379 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3233

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review