All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Still a citrucel/benefiber/acacia question
      #222120 - 10/30/05 11:55 AM
Barbara Lynn

Reged: 05/31/05
Loc: North Port, FL

Heather has tried to clarify this, but I'm still confused about the equivalency of Acacia to the other two.

If Acacia has 7.5 g/teas. and citrucel is 500 mg of Methylcellulose which would = 2 (caplets in this case) per 1 G, then I would have to take 7 citrucel to = 1 teas. of Acacia?

I'm up to 3 Tablespoons a day of Acacia (and doing very well), but in the book Heather says if you can't take the Acacia keep a few Citrucel (or whatever) in your pocketbook for emergency and take a few pills of fiber.

Does anyone know exactly what ratio Methylcellulose is to Acacia? (or the Benefiber?)

If it's that big a difference, then the benefits of Acacia would be great for actual grams of fiber.

Any facts??

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Still a citrucel/benefiber/acacia question new
      #222123 - 10/30/05 12:56 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I think methylcellulose is pure Sf, and if it is you'd need to take 15 capsules to get the same amount of SF as 7.5g Acacia.

So yup, you need to take alot of pills which is why it's not so easy to take it everyday...but maye take the pills out with you if you don't want to carry Acacia.

No! new
      #222220 - 10/31/05 07:17 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

There is only 2.5 grams of fiber in one teaspoon of Acacia. So 5 tablets of citrucel is the equivalent. Right?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Oops, I was thinking about the tablespoons! -nt new
      #222265 - 10/31/05 10:00 AM
Linz

Re: Gram for gram on fibers new
      #222486 - 11/01/05 09:05 AM
Barbara Lynn

Reged: 05/31/05
Loc: North Port, FL

You're right!

But an interesting subject that I found in researching fibers is that one is not equivalent to the other because they do not particularly react the same in your body. It was a very confusing medical article and I should have noted the site, but I'm sorry I didn't.

So my own conclusion for my own benefit is that if you try to go gram for gram you might be getting way too much of the "m....cellulose" type fiber or "psyllium" type fibers.

Any thoughts or knowledge about this from anyone? I haven't yet found any exact data on this equivalency thing.

I don't think there is any exact data... new
      #222491 - 11/01/05 09:17 AM
Linz

...and I would imagine as well that with some SFSs (eg. psyllium) you could get to a dose where the side effects would outweigh the benefits. Alot of people take higher doses of Acacia than most people could ever cope with on psyllium as Acacia is typically more gentle.

I'm afraid it all comes down to personal tolerances in the end so some trial and error is needed.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1374 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 743

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review