All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
girl question...
      #221870 - 10/28/05 03:07 PM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

I know us girls can get IBS symptoms even worse during periods, but what helps?? I am miserable today. Cramping is horrible, my belly feels ripped out even with just a few fat free crackers! I can't win. I have a heating pad on and lots of tylenol in me...any other suggestions? I feel bad, and to top it off, I was sent home from work. They are so sweet to me and since I had gallbladder surgery about a month ago, they wanted me to take it easy... how do you survive the guilt and pains together? I just gave in and took a Xanax hoping it will settle down my running mind. any other ideas? thanks ladies!

--------------------
IBS-A

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: girl question... new
      #221874 - 10/28/05 03:43 PM
ajserna2

Reged: 10/17/05
Loc: Illinois

That sounds pretty horrible! My monthly friend should be here in about 2 weeks and of course the bloating is here and here to stay till after! I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions but I defianantley sympathize with you! Hang in there!!

#221877 - 10/28/05 03:52 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Take the time to relax and hopefully you'll be fine by MOnday.

Hot baths and peppermint tea are my top tips. Peppermint relaxes the uterine muscles as well as the GI ones so it does a double whammy on period IBS!

#221910 - 10/28/05 05:37 PM
rn21666

Reged: 09/01/05
Loc: Maryland

I defintely understand what you are going through! I get the same way the beginning of my period and it gradually gets better. I am one to suggest a steamy hot bath or shower with a scent of lavender. I also do yoga and the positions that strech your stomach seem to help me alot too! Keeping my fingers crossed that your pain soon subsides!

#221975 - 10/29/05 06:58 AM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

Well, my poor belly certainly isn't getting better. I got about 4 hrs of sleep...and feel worse b/c of that. I am on BC, so my periods should be lighter, guess not! I'm dreading going to the gyno b/c I have the classic symptoms of endometriosis...and I am so sick of having mroe medical prblems when I'm only 22! But I better go soon and get this checked...I feel like crawling up on the couch with tea and a magazine--so here I go! Thanks for the sympathy ladies!

--------------------
IBS-A

#221987 - 10/29/05 08:35 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Sorry you're suffering from this! I'm right there with you, though. It always feels like my uterus is going to fall right out.

I'm on BC, been on it for about 9 years, because I had really long and painful periods. It's definitely helped, by period have gone from an average of 9 days to 6 and the pain is more bearable (but still very much there and a problem). When I first started the pill and the doctor saw I was still having painful periods, I was told to take 4 Ibuprofen every six-eight hours, two days before my period starts and then during the first couple days of my period! Well, at the time I was already diagnosed with IBS and I didn't know much about what triggered attacks - but the use of NSAIDs surely did, causing flare-ups and attacks, AND I irritated my esophagus. So I stopped taking Ibuprofen and haven't taken it for cramps for years.

The BC has helped as well as those heat patches, and lots of hot chamomile tea (double-strength, two tea bags), which I start using a couple of days before my period starts. Also, as Linz mentioned, peppermint tea is great for the pain. Tylenol doesn't even touch the pain for me, so I just don't take it.

I have a dr's appointment on Tuesday, and I'm going to ask about Seasonal or some other pain reliever. I have to say that the menstrual cramps, which are BAD, aren't as debilitating as the IBS pain.

I hope you're feeling better this week. Don't feel guilty! What you've been through with the gallbladder surgery, the menstrual cramps and IBS (to top it all off!)--you must be exhausted! It's good to take it easy, give your body time to heal, your mind time to relax; you're lucky you have people around you who want to take care of you and are helping you out. Just concentrate on taking care of yourself as you would you best friend or another fellow co-worker.

Let us know how you're doing, what your doctor has to say and if she feels it is endomitriosis.

Aly new
      #222046 - 10/29/05 05:16 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I know nothing really about endo, but you might want to consider going on Depo or having an implant. I've been on one or another for nearly 7 years now...on the Depo I had no periods and on the implant, I seem to be getting a very light period every 3 months! It's so nice not to have that extra problem every month.

#222050 - 10/29/05 05:23 PM
angela3

Reged: 07/12/04
Loc: Texas, near Fort Worth)

I also get horrible cramps. Birth Control pills have helped a little. Tylenol (easiest on the stomach) and chamomile tea also help. I take them right away when I wake up with my breakfast, before the cramps can even kick in. I also usually end up taking an Immodium AD if I have to go somewhere, such as work.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2729 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 768

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review