All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Almost a year and other stuff
      #221382 - 10/26/05 09:47 AM
Mitch

Reged: 02/06/04
Loc: Tucson, AZ

On November 3 it will be a year since my last full blown attack. This diet and message board is wonderful. I love it. I also love the Zelnorm. Since I have been taking that I have been able to eat a little bit more normal though I do watch it.

I also just found out that I have gallstones and will probably need to have my gallbladder removed along with my appendix. I have been having these pains on my right side for a very long time and never knew what it was until now. It took an er visit because of the stomach flu to figure it out. I have an appt on Oct 31 with a surgeon and with the way I am feeling right now I want the surgery. I have seen posts with people who have had the surgery but if you could please let me know how it went. I don't have alot of time to do a search or I would.

I will let everyone know what happens with the surgeon and if I make it to the 3rd only a little over a week to go.

Take care and I hope everyone has a great day.

--------------------
Michelle

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Are you taking an SFS? new
      #221425 - 10/26/05 11:37 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Please let us know how your surgery goes! Good luck!

I'm surprised your zelnorm works long term. Mine only worked for a few weeks, then stopped.

Re: Are you taking an SFS? new
      #221439 - 10/26/05 12:04 PM
Mitch

I take Metamucil every day and I am also surprised that the Zelnorm has worked this long. I notice a difference if I don't take it. I get so much more constipated without it.

Thanks about the surgery. I am hoping that I can get it soon at least in the next couple of months.

--------------------
Michelle

How many grams of metamucil do you take? new
      #221440 - 10/26/05 12:10 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Doesn't it make you bloated and gassy? I thought psyllium was infamous for that?

Re: How many grams of metamucil do you take? new
      #221442 - 10/26/05 12:13 PM
Mitch

I am not sure how much but I take four tablets a day and no it doesn't make me bloated and gassy. Or any more than what I could be.

--------------------
Michelle

4 tablets doesn't give you much fiber new
      #221452 - 10/26/05 12:39 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

... only 2 grams worth. Maybe that's why you aren't so gassy and bloated by it.

I also wish the Zelnorm worked for me!

Let me know how your surgery goes. My Gallbladder doesn't function correctly, and I may be getting it removed some time down the road.

And congrats on a whole year without an attack! You must follow this diet pretty strictly. I do, but I am far from stable! I'm still trying to figure out the magic secret as to why this diet works wonders for some, and others continue to suffer. Probably because of my anxiety that goes along with all this!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: 4 tablets doesn't give you much fiber new
      #221587 - 10/27/05 10:25 AM
Mitch

Yes that is probably why I am not so gassy and bloated but it seems to help.

And as for the diet. No I don't follow it really strict but I do know what I can and can't eat. It could be your anexity I know if I get really anxious about something my IBS does start wanting to act up but I try and calm it down and then don't have an attack.

And Thank You I am very happy I have made it this far. It took a long time. I was having attacks almost everyday but now am not. I have decided that I am not going to let IBS rule my life.

As for my gallbladder I will let everyone know. I see the surgeon on Monday the 31st of this month and will find out for sure what is going on.

I do hope you get to feeling better and can become stable as well.

--------------------
Michelle

Re: Almost a year and other stuff new
      #221591 - 10/27/05 10:29 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Whoo hoo! I'm sure you'll make it, but be sure to remind us so we can congratulate you even more! Recently, I went for about 6 months without an attack, but I think lack of sleep and some poor meal choices got me. Still, it feels good to know that I CAN be stable, I can get there. It also helps to hear success stories such as yours.

I hope you find even more relief from your gallbladder surgery. I don't have personal experience with that procedure, but I wish you the best.

my gallbladder surgery new
      #221606 - 10/27/05 11:58 AM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

HI there! Just wanted to tell you that I had surgery almost a month ago. I did REALLY well with it. I was very nervous because I heard about chronic diahrrea after the surgery, but I believe b/c I was normally C, I don't have any problems. I am off all meds and feeling pretty good. My gallbladder was not functioning and my surgeon took it out ASAP. The laproscopic surgery is a piece of cake--you're a bit sore, but nothing too bad. They do put carbon dioxide and liquid inside you during the surgery which can linger for awhile, and I'm even still having some gas pains from that. Still, it's just a twinge here or there vs. bad bad right side pain I had before. So, for me- surgery was easy, and made a fantastic difference. I'm not even 100% sure I need to be doing an IBS diet, as that seems to have gone away as well! Hope this helps!

--------------------
IBS-A

#221607 - 10/27/05 12:18 PM
tierny

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Iowa

Congratulations on the one year mark!!!! I was interested in this post because you mentioned you were on Zelnorm and loved it. You also mentioned further down that you were surprised it was still working so good for you. I was on Zelnorm for almost 3 years straight. I felt really good while on it (in combination with Heather's diet). And, I never felt it quit working for me. Then, I read a bunch of posts about it being bad and definitely NOT for long term use and how it might even get pulled from the market eventually so I got a bit scared. (Even though I asked several drs. about using it long term) So, I decided to wean myself off of it over the course of a month. I definitely notice a difference---more constipation, fewer bm's, and "funny feelings" of IBS that I didn't have for 3 years. I am thinking of starting up on it again. Do you ever worry about using it long term? Do you take 6 mg. two times a day? Let me know what you think about it, please? Thanks

#221628 - 10/27/05 03:02 PM
Mitch

You know I am not worried about the long term effects. I have a really great nurse practitioner that I see every month and if she thought I was in any danger I know she would take me off of it. So I will continue to use as long as it works and if I hear any different then I will discontinue using it. I am supposed to take it twice a day but I feel only taking it once a day works and so does my nurse practitioner.

If you need anything else please do not hesitate to ask.

--------------------
Michelle

Re: my gallbladder surgery new
      #221629 - 10/27/05 03:05 PM
Mitch

Thanks for the response that helps alot. I really do want to get it done. I have been having the pain on my right side now for the last two days but it usually comes and goes and I never knew what it was. I am glad to finally know and am anxious to see the surgeon and get this scheduled.

--------------------
Michelle

My gallbladder was removed..... new
      #221708 - 10/27/05 10:50 PM
leslierf

Reged: 10/11/03
Loc: Tucson, Arizona

a couple of years ago. I had the Op. at Northwest Hospital in Tucson. Everything went just fine.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1812 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2035

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review