All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
question
      #220941 - 10/24/05 10:37 AM
catlady

Reged: 06/05/04

Hi,
I know this sounds gross, but I have been having fishy-smelling stools lately. Also, I never feel as if I evacuate completely. I'll have several small bowel movements, but then I'll skip one to two days and go without a bowel movement. My husband thinks I may have Candida. Does anyone experience this or have any feedback?
Susan

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: question new
      #221009 - 10/24/05 02:30 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

So, you've been officially diagnosed with IBS, yes? Candida "should" be considered during the elimination-diagnosis process but not all docs do this.

Don't start messing with your diet thinking of Candida unless you have ALL the symptoms of that...and then seek professional help (nutritionist/naturopath maybe) first.

The incomplete evacuation is actually a classic IBS symptom. Are you following Heather's diet and are you taking a SFS? I usually get smelly poops after I've been cheating on the diet- have you? And have you tried probiotics and digestive enzymes?

#221174 - 10/25/05 11:44 AM
catlady

Hi Linz,
Yes, I have been diagnosed with IBS-C in April 2004. I am now suspecting Candida. I am a dietitian who is vegan, and I eat plenty of soluble fiber. I have tried probiotics and digestive enzymes. One problem is that I have a really long colon, and it is a redundant colon. It has many twists and turns so it compounds the constipation problem.
I have even tried eliminating most wheat and gluten since my blood tests showed a sensitivity to gliadin. I have Kaiser Permanente health insurance. The nutritionists there are very mainstream, and my doctor didn't know very much about IBS. I had to educate him! I think my best bet is to find a naturopathic physician. Susan

Susan new
      #221176 - 10/25/05 11:49 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Sounds like you're a great patient advocate for yourself which is wonderful. With a naturopath, just remember that there are ALOT of quacks out there that will just push severe diets and/or supplements on you that could actually hurt you. A good naturopath will treat you gently, know about IBS, know about SF and try to treat candida (if that is what is suspected) w/out aggravating possible IBS. Good luck in your search!

#221183 - 10/25/05 12:13 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

How do you determine that you have a long or redundant colon?

Have you gone back to eating gluten even though you had the antibody test come back as sensitive? Does it help you to eat GF?

Are you still taking probiotics and digestive enzymes and do they help?

Finally, I swear , what sort of soluble fiber to you take that is helpful? I would think that with a long colon the SFS might make matters worse since it has a long way to travel and might plug you up even more.

You eat soluble fiber, but... new
      #221184 - 10/25/05 12:16 PM
Cyndy

are you also taking an SFS? What makes you suspect candida? I wish I could find a naturopathic doc too...but there are none in my insurance group.

Re: You eat soluble fiber, but... new
      #221410 - 10/26/05 10:47 AM
catlady

Cyndy,
I am suspecting Candida because of certain symptoms - sugar cravings, a lot of fatigue, etc. I am not taking an SFS. I do eat a fair amount of soluble fiber. Susan

#221412 - 10/26/05 10:51 AM
catlady

Cyndy,
I went to a gastroenterologist about a year ago. They did a barium enema, and my husband and I saw the x-ray of my colon. It's really bizarre! I have tried eating a GF diet - I think it helps somewhat. I am not taking a probiotic or digestive enzyme right now. Susan

Thanks for the reply new
      #221417 - 10/26/05 11:09 AM
Cyndy

Do you continue to eat a gluten free diet since it helped? Or have you started eating regular gluten containing products again because it didn't make that much of a difference?

Thanks again.

Re: Thanks for the reply new
      #221433 - 10/26/05 11:55 AM
catlady

Cyndy,
I eat a mixed diet of GF/wheat-free foods. I've tried to minimize my wheat and gluten intake as much as possible.
Susan

I also tested positive for gluten antibodies... new
      #221457 - 10/26/05 12:50 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

...three times! I went on a GF diet for almost a year, but the only thing it did was make me go from chronic D to chronic C. I got retested after eliminating gluten and the test came back fine! But I still felt horrible.

I too, still watch the amount of gluten I eat...sticking with Spelt breads, Oat and Barley cereals, etc...

I don't know if it helps to avoid wheat or not! Do you do a total wheat free diet?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3910 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1622

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review