All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
mixing fennel with other teas
      #220911 - 10/24/05 08:51 AM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

i've always loved the taste of fennel tea, but i recently bought a different brand when mine wasn't in stock, and it is *gross* - smokier and heavier than the flavor i'm used to. i know some people mix fennel with peppermint tea to cover the taste, but with my acid issues lately, i'm avoiding mint. has anyone had luck mixing fennel with chammomile, or fruit teas? i suspect some combinations would be just as gross as the fennel plain, so i'm wondering what's worked for you.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: mixing fennel with other teas new
      #220915 - 10/24/05 09:13 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I've mixed it with Good Earth Good Night tea, but I think that has some mint in it.

You could try mixing it with Roobios. -nt- new
      #220918 - 10/24/05 09:40 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#220937 - 10/24/05 10:35 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I've had the best look with Rooibos! But, I haven't tried it with fruit teas. I bet they would work also. Since you don't mind the tast of fennel and chamomile is very mild, it may just tone it down for you, so that could probably work also.

I tried it with True Blueberry a few days ago new
      #220971 - 10/24/05 12:22 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Actually, it blends rather well with fruity kinds of teas, I find. I was in weird mode and put a bag in with "True Blueberry" by Celestial Seasonings and it was very candy-like.
I've tried it with Black Current and it's pretty good. Ditto for Rooibos. Ditto for Cherry. (Actually, it's really good with a Cherry tea. I suspect that it would be good with an apple flavoured tea.

I guess the best way to find out is experiment/play. If it makes your stomach taste like dirty dish water than try something else.
Kate, IBS-D.

Re: Good Earth Teas new
      #220972 - 10/24/05 12:25 PM
Wind

OOOoooh! I love their spicy blends! I feel like a hot tamale after some of them.

Kate, IBS-D.

I like it best with chamomile & lavender... new
      #221007 - 10/24/05 02:25 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...but Rooibos hides the taste better.

I only get Heather's now after some bad experiences with HFS fennel teas...alot of them were very old and dry seeds - more manky-tasting & less efficient!

#221065 - 10/24/05 10:56 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Oh yeah fennel is surprisingly great with fruit teas It's got that almost-sweet, licoricey taste that just kind of works with the berry type teas... The fruity flavour really tends to overpower the fennel flavour more than any other tea I've tried with it, so it's just kind of like a nice fennelly "hit" with the fruit.

Also delicious with chammomile and anything else really "herbaceous" etc. and also GREEN tea is yum with fennel! (I buy the decaf). Oh! And GINGER is a recent one I tried! Very good too HTH

#221158 - 10/25/05 11:08 AM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

These are great ideas, I'm going to have to try this cause I don't like the taste of fennel.

--------------------
IBS-C

#221192 - 10/25/05 12:28 PM
crew

Reged: 06/24/05

Most definitely Celestial Seasonings "Cinnamon Apple Spice" I do 3 bags of Fennel, to 1 bag of the Cinnamon Apple spice, and I can't taste ANY of the fennel ... Thank God! Yuck!!

#221231 - 10/25/05 02:13 PM
jaime g

thanks for your suggestions, everyone. i just tried a bag of fennel with a bag of true blueberry, since that's such a strong fruit tea. i think this new fennel tea must be especially nasty (i've liked fennel in the past), because this mixture smells exactly like vomit, and tastes gross, too. i think i just need to go back to the other whole foods and buy my old brand, or invest in some of heather's.

--------------------
jaime

#221242 - 10/25/05 03:15 PM
fishnets

Quote:

thanks for your suggestions, everyone. i just tried a bag of fennel with a bag of true blueberry, since that's such a strong fruit tea. i think this new fennel tea must be especially nasty (i've liked fennel in the past), because this mixture smells exactly like vomit, and tastes gross, too. i think i just need to go back to the other whole foods and buy my old brand, or invest in some of heather's.

While we're on the subject of nasty fennel tea, what is the best brands and what is the worst? Maybe if I bought a better brand I'd like it better. I can't remember what kind I bought before though.

--------------------
IBS-C

#221262 - 10/25/05 05:04 PM
jaime g

i liked celestial herbals a lot. when i'm at work tomorrow i'll let you know the nasty brand that i tried today.

--------------------
jaime

Excellent idea. new
      #221265 - 10/25/05 05:39 PM
Wind

If it smells like vomit, I expect that it will make you vomit.

Definitely get GOOD Fennel tea.

Kate, IBS-D.

#221290 - 10/25/05 11:49 PM
imp

Reged: 02/19/05
Loc: england

I was a bit warry of trying fennel tea,but i actually have a taste for it now.Also in the uk there is a great brand of fennel mixxed with camomile and marshmallow.They actually won an award.they're called 'PUKKA' teas and are organic.i buy mine from good old tesco.

#221323 - 10/26/05 07:22 AM
tierny

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Iowa

I buy Heather's Fennel Tea in the new bags and I sometimes use 1 fennel tea bag and 1 Lipton Raspberry Herbal Tea bag in one cup and brew them together. I taste very little of the fennel tea when I do that. Very good plus I figure I'm still getting the benefit of the fennel.

#221355 - 10/26/05 08:51 AM
jaime g

okay, the nasty puke-smelling fennel was by alvita, which is a twinlab company. i'd stay far away from those. celestial herbals, though, two thumbs up. i've gotten both brands at whole foods.

--------------------
jaime

#221513 - 10/26/05 05:34 PM
fishnets

Quote:

okay, the nasty puke-smelling fennel was by alvita, which is a twinlab company. i'd stay far away from those. celestial herbals, though, two thumbs up. i've gotten both brands at whole foods.

Ew that's the kind I tried and hated!! So Celestial Herbals makes a fennel tea? Do they sell it in the grocery store?

--------------------
IBS-C

#221520 - 10/26/05 06:54 PM
jaime g

i think it's probably only in a hfs - it wasn't even with the teas at my wholefoods, but with the body stuff, like vitamins and other health items. though the puke-fennel came from the same place, just in a different store.

--------------------
jaime

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4865 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2671

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review