All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Newcomer to the board. Need Help!
      #220186 - 10/18/05 08:16 PM
dasheriprock

Reged: 10/18/05

After about 2 years of escalating problems after I eat, I finally decided to do some research. It started in college occasionally after I would eat somethng and smoke a cigarette. About 2 years ago I realized that after I ate mexican food I would have to rush to the bathroom. No problem, I thought..it is mexican food!

But in the past 5 mos it has gotten worse. I have found that anytime I eat out, I have urgency. I started takng a OTC medicine called Digestive Advantage, by Ganeden.

To be honest, my diet over the past years has probably not helped. I gained a ton of weight after I got married and my diet has been TERRIBLE. How quickly can I expect to see results from 1) Increasing water intake and decreasing carbonated pop 2) Following the diet laid out here 3) Exercising 4) taking my IBS medication.

Is this a long term thing or does it help immediately?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Newcomer to the board. Need Help! new
      #220190 - 10/18/05 08:28 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

I was in severe pain for over a year, have had IBS since 1980. Within just a couple days of eating this way the pain disappeared. The D and "right nows" took longer because I had to adjust to the diet and regulating supplements. I started in May and sometime in June I had a realization that I had not been running to the bathroom all the time and the gas no longer was my constant companion. It seems that time lines really vary so this is just what took place with me. I've heard that the only really consistent thing about IBS people is there is little consistency among us!! The information around here has been a God send to me. But the diet absolutely WORKS for me. I also use the hypno tapes for stress reduction.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

#220191 - 10/18/05 08:50 PM
dasheriprock

From reading some of the cases on here, I think i have a mild case. There is no pain whatsoever, just urgency. And, in 95% of the cases, its right after I eat out at a restaurant. So, I'm guessing that this is because its high in fat.

#220202 - 10/19/05 03:25 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Have you actually been diagnosed with IBS by a GI doc? It's very important to be so.

Do a search on Digestive Advantage - it's nothing special and you may well be wasting your money.

It can take time, especially to get rid of minor symptoms like bloating. Don't expect it to happen overnight, or even in 1 month - it could take a while. And follow the diet 100% for a while at least - if you cheat (particularly on a regular basis) then it'll take alot longer to stabilise.

#220212 - 10/19/05 05:20 AM
dasheriprock

No, I haven't been to the doc cause I thought such a large part of it had to do with my diet. For example, I haven't had urgency since last thursday when we something spicy. I got it yesterday when we went to a restaurant and got Mash Potatoes and chicken with bacon and cheese.

I'm figuring I could cut down on my attacks by skipping those types of meels and following the diet more closely.

#220221 - 10/19/05 07:35 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Fair enough, but if it's enough of a problem for you to be changing your whole diet, then you should see a doc! It's very important to do so as alot of (often more horrible) things have symptoms similar to IBS.

#220254 - 10/19/05 10:11 AM
tcollins

Reged: 01/19/05
Loc: Mississippi, USA

Welcome to the boards. I agree, you should see a Doc to rule out any other problems that have the same symptoms.

Terry

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 136 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 686

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review