All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Coral calcium and grape-nuts cereal?
      #220 - 01/31/03 06:47 AM
Kathy

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hey everyone! I just happened across a TV infomercial about Coral Calcium. I was reading Heather's book on calcium and happened to look at the TV. Bob Bearfoot (i think)has a product out that contains enough calcium and magnesium to help reverse physical problems. Anyone know anything about this product?

Grape-nuts cereal--seems like a soluble food. Is it?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Coral calcium and grape-nuts cereal? new
      #274 - 02/01/03 02:59 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

I saw coral calcium in Wal-Mart the other day, but was hesitant to buy it. I take Calcium Citrate. Also, when I was eating lots of fiber (before Heather's info got to me), it would just propel me around the house for hours. I was eating a combination of Grape Nuts, Musceli, Puffed Wheat or Rice, Bran Flakes and I would mix them all together in a big Tupperware container so that I had the mixture for the whole week. But, then when I started reading about IBS and put 2 and 2 together, it finally dawned on my that I was eating the wrong kind of fiber. Since I stopped eating the above and replaced it with Rice Krispies, Cheerios, & Rice Chex and soy milk, my IBS has been much better and, I might add, I'm flying much closer to the carpet now!

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#295 - 02/02/03 05:37 AM
Kathy

SharonMello: Thanks for the info. Are you IBS-C or IBS-D?

#300 - 02/02/03 08:24 AM
SharonMello

Kathy - I think I'm IBS-G! My IBS is not half as serious as a lot of you. The G stands for GAS. I get neither constipated nor diarrhea most of the time--just gas. And, sometimes it doesn't matter what I eat, but most times, it does matter. Sorry to vascillate but it's weird. When it gets really bad, I eat rice, oatmeal, etc. only. But that doesn't happen too often. I find if I stay away from raw veggies, i.e. carrots, mushrooms, zucchini (even peeled), tomatoes, I'm okay. Don't really know if there's a G designation for IBS, but I asked Heather if there was one for mostly GAS. How long have you had IBS? What's really strange is that the other day my husband and I were out and we ate at Appleby's. I had southwestern chicken salad which consisted of broiled chix breast, lettuce, a few tortilla strips, sour cream, guacamole, and fat free ranch dressing. Dairy usually does a job on me too. I didn't get one bit of gas. AND, lettuce usually does a job on me. Went to the movies afterward (saw Kangaroo Jack--what a funny movie) and no gas. That night, no gas. Go and figure!

--------------------
Sharon

#305 - 02/02/03 11:08 AM
Kathy

I guess I've had it every since I was a kid, but only diagnosed about 12 years ago. Thanks for the info. I didn't realize that there were folks out there with your problem. Hang in there.

#313 - 02/02/03 09:00 PM
steather

Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Hi Sharon,

I too have a huge gas problem -- I have had it since I was a small child and my family would make fun of me...I'm sure glad I finally found the cause for all that gas! And now that I know what triggers it, I can pretty much avoid the gas...unless I tempt myself with foods I really miss! There are a couple of foods that really trigger my gas, and lettuce or ANY green veggies (a.k.a. roughage) really does a wonder on me. In the last couple of years, I have developed IBS-D, so not only do i get the gas, but I get the cramping and the whole nine yards. BUT anyway, I do find that if I eat something that really stabilizes my tummy first, then I can eat lettuce (but only in small quantities)....but, I have completely ommited pork and any kind of beans, because no matter how much I eat or when I eat them, I get tremendous gas! Also, I can only eat small quantities of dairy - sometimes I go overboard on chocolate (my weakness..) and I'll have gas for days. Anyway, just thought I'd share my own experience...and I agree, it IS weird expounding on gas...LOL.

--------------------
Heather

"Quod me Nutrit me Destruit"

#327 - 02/03/03 08:50 AM
sek

Loc: Virginia, USA

Hello, gas sufferers! Add me to the count.

Have any of you found soy products to cause gas? I'm having a lot of problems isolating my triggers but since beans cause gas I was wondering if soy milk or soy cheese or other soy products cause problems for you?

#356 - 02/03/03 04:07 PM
SharonMello

Have you tried your green vegetables pureed after cooking? Heather has a good pasta and asparagus sauce in one of her books. I think it's the one about IBS, not the recipe book. Anyway, I love raw veggies in a salad without lettuce and now I find I can't even eat that. I miss having a salad and love to eat it with my meal instead of eat it last, but I guess I'm gonna hafta get used to eating it last. Anyway, as long as I get to eat I'm a happy camper! Yes, chocolate does a job on me too--but not cocoa powder. I make Heather's chocolate cake and it doesn't send me into orbit, but the other day I went to a neighbor's house and she had the bite-size Hershey bars and I couldn't help myself--I ate 3! Oh, well, gas within 15 minutes or less. Does that beat anyone else's record? I also make a Wt Watcher's Taco Soup but instead of adding the can of black beans, I use Fat Free Refried Beans instead. And it thickens it too. So do baked tortilla chips added to soups. They cook up and thicken at the same time and you have your soluble fiber as well. When I was really young I used to get cramping really bad, but only when I had diarrhea. Since I've been on Heather's "diet", I haven't had diarrhea, but am leaning the other way now. I take 6 fibercon generics a day--2 at each meal. I don't get much results so I guess I'll have to increase them. Woe is me!

--------------------
Sharon

Re: Yes Soy can cause gas new
      #838 - 02/13/03 12:20 PM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Soy is a major gas problem for me so I now use Rice Dream Rice Milk. Took me a while to isolate the soy problem, but it's a definite with me. As for Coral Calcium, it's wonderful. I use the powdered kind so I can adjust the dosage with how I feel. I think it has helped tremendously, but I am IBS-D. I don't think it helps as much with C.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1463 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5891

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review