All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
WHEAT CAUSING HEADACHES?
      #219553 - 10/15/05 02:35 AM
Sidewalker

Reged: 01/04/05

hi- i was wondering if anyone experiences headaches after eating wheat. I just started getting these headaches recently. Since I am lactose intolerant and cannot eat any dairy at all the thought of having to eliminate another major food group really frightens me. Any recommendations/thoughts? thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

If you're not getting answers... new
      #219562 - 10/15/05 07:29 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

just bump your original post - no need to repost multiple times. Having the same question from the same person out there 3 times can be confusing.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: If you're not getting answers... new
      #219599 - 10/15/05 11:10 AM
Sidewalker

well if no one is answering the question, then i don't see how it can be confusing - but thank you for your feedback

You're quite right. "Confusing" was the wrong word. Actually, I find it annoying because ... new
      #219603 - 10/15/05 11:35 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I think someone else is now asking the same question and go digging around looking for the original post so I can direct the "new" asker there.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: WHEAT CAUSING HEADACHES? new
      #219608 - 10/15/05 11:49 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Probably not the answer you want to hear, but the only way you can know for sure is to try cutting wheat out COMPLETELY for *at least* a few weeks to a month. If the headaches go away, you should go for an allergy test, or whatever is they do to see if you have a wheat allergy/intollerance. (Since, that is, headaches is not really a standard IBS symptom). But if you're still getting the headaches after being off wheat for an siginficant amount of time, you should be looking elsewhere for problems (see your doc).

It's also possible that you have a GI yeast overgrowth - headaches can be a symptom of this - so if you don't want to give up wheat totally at first you could try giving up yeast (and sugar) - that does, admittedly, mean lots of wheat things, like bread - but you can buy yeast-free bread. (NOTE: If you want to try that, be sure to google a candida diet or something like that to find out how to completely get off yeast and yeast-supporting foods (i.e. I'm pretty sure anything fermented, vinegar, mushrooms etc. would be out too) - I don't claim to be an expert on this! ).

Anyway, hope that's helpful to you.

Re: yeast? new
      #219611 - 10/15/05 12:54 PM
Sidewalker

thanks for your input - however, wouldn't yeast overgrowth cause chronic D, gas, fatigue as well? i don't have those symptoms and I really don't consume that much sugar.

#219615 - 10/15/05 01:34 PM
DanieB

Reged: 08/05/05
Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

I suffered from migraine like headaches for many many years before finding out that they were caused by wheat. After many tests and MD's telling me that there was nothing wrong me, I decided to see a Naturopathic Physician. Instantly without any tests, it was determined that I have a wheat intolerance. I was told to stop eating wheat just to be sure. Sure enough, that's what it was. I have been headache free for more than 5 years. During this time I also found out that had IBS except the ND didn't call it that. I stopped eating all wheat products for about a year and then started to introduce it back into my diet to see what I could handle. I can eat regular pasta and breads but not on a daily basis. If I eat pasta and bread for every meal every day for about a week, I start to feel a headache come on. I cannot tolerate whole wheat products at all. Something you should know before you run out and get tested, when you have a wheat intolerance, it is different than an allergy. You cannot determine a wheat intolerance from an allergy scratch test. Same as being lactose intolerant. I even had my gluten levels checked to be sure that I didn't have celiacs disease when my IBS was out of control. I would just stop eating all wheat products for a few days. Your headache will go away within a day or 2 if it is really being caused by the wheat.

#219632 - 10/15/05 03:59 PM
Sidewalker

thanks for the info- did they start off as regular headaches and evolve into migraines, or were they always migraines?

#219740 - 10/16/05 06:12 PM
Blue24

Reged: 07/07/05
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hey Sidewalker, my recommendation is to keep close a food journal over the next few days and also think hard about everything that you've been doing over the last few days- diet, exercise, lifestyle, sleep, water intake, etc. I'm doing that myself because I have suffered from a crazy headache for the last couple days and it's really intense and driving me insane. I hope to find out the root cause of my headache, too. Good luck...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 385 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1080

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review