All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Complete Digestive Stool Analysis - worth it?
      #218787 - 10/10/05 07:22 PM
RachaelC

Reged: 09/09/04
Loc: Philadelphia, PA

I've read about the Complete Digestive Stool Analysis (CDSA) in a book called Gut Reactions (great book, by the way). It's offered by Great Smokies Diagnostic testing. Wondering if anyone has done this? My doc says it's very expensive (about $300?). Basically, you take 3 stool samples and mail them to the company and they send results to you and your doc. The test provides parasite testing, long-chain fatty acids (indicating poor absorption) or diminished digestive enzymes, imbalances of gut bacteria and microorganisms (measures overgrowth of microbes, candida and low levels of friendly bacteria). Has anyone tried this? Have any of your docs suggested it?

I have almost contstant bloating and was diagnosed with IBS about 4 years ago. I'm IBS-A. I have it under control mostly with Acacia and yoga and Pamine (antispasmodic). Tried the hypnosis cd's too but never stuck through the whole program (only got half-way through), but I might try again. My goal is stability...well, I guess that's a goal for all of us!

Just wondering if this test could reveal the underlying probs, but the cost is prohibitive. Any experiences?

Thanks!!

--------------------
Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product.
--Eleanor Roosevelt

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Complete Digestive Stool Analysis - worth it? new
      #218796 - 10/10/05 07:43 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

I had it done...but my insurance paid all but 50 dollars of it- so it was worth the 50 dollars to me. I would say it depends on how your IBS started. If it started with a case of food poisoning or a virus or after a period of time with a very bad diet (eg high in sugar) - then it would be worth getting it done, because it would figure that something may be up with the gut flora. However, if you've had yours since you were a child then it would lean more towards something functional being wrong. just an educated guess from me! Good luck!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1060 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 591

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review