All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Weight Gain & IBS...FRUSTRATED
      #217805 - 10/06/05 11:22 AM
Yvonne2

Reged: 10/06/05

Last year about September 2004, I lost 20lbs and worked out 4xs per week. I did it the healthy way: excercise, fruits, grains, vegetables, and poultry for my diet. However, come December 2004 (New Years Eve) suddenly I was weighing 170lbs. Now I weigh 180. Of course, due to being discouraged I stopped working out and tossed my diet to the wind. I trully hate being this size and want to diet but the only diet I know to do AND that's EFFECTIVE contains a LOT of insoluble fiber. Does anyone have an idea of about what I should do as a weightloss recommednation? My doctor (gastro man) diagnosed me with IBS 4 months ago. At first I was in denial but after being referred to Heather's website by my Dr.'s office I realized there was some truth to his diagnosis. I even had him do a colonoscopy. My main issue is gas AND bloating. I can barely eat a meal without my stomach looking like I'm at least 3-4months preganant. And, NO ZELORM DID NOT HELP. Please help me if you can!!! My birthday is in February and I really do want to accomplish by 30lb goal by that time.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Weight Gain & IBS...FRUSTRATED new
      #217853 - 10/06/05 01:43 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Track your cals on something like fitday.com...and aim for 500 less on the intake side compared to what you expend in order to lose weight.

#217940 - 10/06/05 08:27 PM
uwponine

Reged: 03/19/05
Loc: Wisconsin

I hear ya. I'm there right now. For me, I had to let go of calorie counting b/c too obsessive. But it can work. I just focus on what I eat and pre-portion all my food so that remains constant. I also eat 5x/day in smaller portions. HTH.

--------------------
IBS-C with major bloat!
Gluten Free Vegan

#217945 - 10/06/05 08:49 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

I thought when I began this diet I wouldn't lose any weight and most likely would gain more....NOT GOOD. At first I didn't track calories or anything because just learning to eat Heather's way took all my concentration. But after a month or so I began writing down what I ate and found that I usually stayed in the 1200 calorie range and kept my fats around 25% of that. As a result I have lost 26lbs since May. I still have LOTS more to lose but I don't feel so frustrated as long as I'm eating safe foods and not overeating at each meal. I hope to lose 40 more pounds before a Navy reunion we have in June! But hey, I feel so much better and losing slowly is always the best way. Good luck with the diet and hope you can drop some pounds too.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

#217972 - 10/07/05 07:24 AM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

linz, how do you actually calculate how many calories you expend?

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

#217976 - 10/07/05 07:30 AM
Yvonne2

What have you done to relieve bloating. Thank you for your response!!

#217993 - 10/07/05 08:10 AM
Linz

When I'm into losin weight (too ill atm with Fibro) I use Fitday.com. You select a lifestyle and then enter what activities you do - even if you have a nap! - and it works it out for you. So easy.

#217994 - 10/07/05 08:13 AM
Linz

Fennel tea is great to relieve bloating in the short term.

Longer term try the diet, a gentle SFS (probably not psyllium/Metamucil or inulin as they can cause mroe gas) and cutting down on gassy veg - ie. anything in the cabbage or onion family (inc. garlic, broccoli, etc).

#218017 - 10/07/05 08:44 AM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

i've been doing that with fitday (i'm a devoted addict), but i wonder about its calculation of my calorie use. it just seems so high... and doesn't seem to make total sense when i look at what i eat and what my weight is doing.

is it correct that you lose a pound for every 3500 calories of deficit? (deficit, as in calories eaten being less than calories used.) not sure where i learned that number...

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

#218044 - 10/07/05 09:30 AM
Linz

That sounds about right as the 500 cal deficit a day is designed to make the average-average person lose about 1 pound a week and 7x500=3500!

Remember that all those calculations are for average people of your weight, height, etc so some people are always different. And also remember that fitday expects you to log anything that's not per your lifestyle, eg. sitting in a car for an hour, or having a lie-in, as well as all the exercise. I found that when I started being really concious about that then my numbers really made sense (a lie-in takes a big chunk out of your calorie expenditure! ).

#218074 - 10/07/05 11:56 AM
Yvonne2

Thank you ALL so MUCH!!:) This is the BESTEST (yep, I said bestest) website ever!! I'm going to try all of your suggestions. I think for starters I need to first of all relax and then do each day one step at a time. Your comments meant a lot to me! Thank you again!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1566 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4463

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review