All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
I got the impression ... new
      #217598 - 10/05/05 10:42 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

...that these people didn't become stable or "better" until they let go of the strictness of the diet and didn't worry about if what they were eating was considered "IBS safe"....that just "letting go" and eating what they wanted without worrying was the key for them becoming better because they lost the anxiety and fear and obsessing.

Can you guys help clear the confusion up?

Side note: I'm not promoting an unsafe diet...just curious as to what these posters are eating now and how often. Like, do they eat without concern everyday and only eat super safe if they are having a bad attack?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I got the impression ... new
      #217601 - 10/05/05 10:53 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

It depends on the severity of your IBS as to how far you can push the boundaries.

And not stressing about whether or not a dinner out will bring on an attack does NOT mean please ignore the diet guidelines. I don't stress about eating out at all (ie. will never refuse to go out b/c I don't think they'll be anything to eat) and if I eat something that affects me afterwards I just deal with it...but I do TRY to eat following the guidelines almost all the time (and certainly the entire time I was stabilising).

Have you tried hypno or counselling or meds for the anxiety?

Re: How many have tried eating everything? new
      #217648 - 10/05/05 02:58 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I've really expanded my menu, I suppose, of late. I'm trying different things. I'm learning better to listen to my body. Some of the things I try are disasters, whereas others are great successes. Everyday is different. Somedays, my body wants a filet mignon. (Yes, I know...former vegan to rabid meat eater, tsk, tsk...) Other days...all I want is a real whole egg...yes, just one! I don't get it. Some days it needs to be salmon or shrimp or tuna...For me, I think it's a primal consciousness at work.
Root chakra energy/issues? I'm not sure. I'm just fiercely craving dead animals (that sounds morbid, but as a former vegan, I don't know the rhetoric of meat). Weird. One of these days, I'll figure it out.

One note: personally I do not crave dairy or wheat or some of my huge triggers/allergens. I tried soy, again, yesterday and had a huge backlash reaction. Oh well...it's just not meant to be in my fridge.

I think the point is, that Heather's diet has valuable insight and guidelines, but it's not a religion.
Kate.

Re: SC, Blue, Trapley, etc... new
      #217653 - 10/05/05 04:05 PM
SCgirl

Reged: 05/24/05
Loc: Charleston SC

Well I can only answer for myself. I know that everyone is different with IBS. I will tell you I eat whatever I want..from McDonalds to KFC.lol I dont skimp on Thanksgiving or other holidays either. I do try and eat healthy, dont get my wrong I am not eating fast food everyday!..but when friends want to go out I eat what I think is good. I just feel like life is too short to live the way I used to..worrying about everything I ate. If the diets are working for you alot then I wouldnt stop it, but maybe just try to slowly start eating things you want and see what happens.

Thank you for your honest opinion new
      #217677 - 10/05/05 07:18 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

So far the diet isn't working so great and my anxiety is at it's wosrst.

I will have to give some serious thought to what is right for me.

When you eat this way, do you have symptoms? Either the same of worse than when you ate the safe IBS recommended way?

On the days you don't go to fast food or restaurants or on holidays, do you follow the diet guidelines then? (both food selection and also eating the SF before the IF) Or do you pretty much eat meat, cheese, chocolate, or whatever you feel like eating every day?

I appreciate your honest feedback!

I agree. new
      #217685 - 10/05/05 08:10 PM
Proud new Teacher

Reged: 09/22/05
Loc: Alberta, Canada

I find that I avoid milk and some dairy products, but now that i'm not fixated, I am eating yogurt no problem, can have a bit of cheese, can eat chocolate and SOME fattening foods with no real consequence. For me, worrying about it was the most awful trigger. i just started my own classroom and am under lots of pressure but my IBS has been close to fine because I am not focused on it. Amazing!

--------------------
Shannon the teacher` I'm an A, but more of a C these days.:}

That's the ase for me, Cyndy... new
      #217686 - 10/05/05 08:14 PM
Proud new Teacher

but I'm careful when I feel an attack brewing. I will NEVER, however, go without my 3 pills of "bugs" every day. If it was not for my probiotics, I'd still be in a lot of pain. You have to find a great one,take it a lot and be consistent, but it WORKS, I SWEAR its the ONLY thinkg that for sure makes a dif to me. Remember when i went off them a month and a bit ago and wwas HOSPITALIZED? My life has gotten a whole lot busier, more to stress about but I'm less stressed and my IBs is just an inconvenience right now. Seriously.

--------------------

OMG Kate!!! When did you go carno??? new
      #217687 - 10/05/05 08:19 PM
Proud new Teacher

STUNNED!!!!!

--------------------

Re: OMG Kate!!! When did you go carno??? new
      #217692 - 10/05/05 08:52 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Probably about 3 weeks ago. Definitely a month.

Yes, I'm stunned, too. My body-mind kept waking me up in the middle of the night ravenous for MEAT. I kept having these really warped dreams and getting all sweaty toothed...something fiercely bestial kicked in and well...now I'm eating more like the cavewoman I live like.

Honestly, my bones were just hungry for some meat. It's kind of challenging to translate the sensation into linguistic terms. It's very very primitive and primal and well...eerie.

However, I am honouring body's desire to eat the dead. Obviously, she's craving it for a reason. It's not like she's craving sugary processed junk food or a novelty food.
Just plain old meat, fish, fowl...but, yes, Shannon...meat.

Kate.

Re: Thank you for your honest opinion new
      #217694 - 10/05/05 09:03 PM
SCgirl

Reged: 05/24/05
Loc: Charleston SC

Well I am glad if I am helping you in any way. On regular days..I will pretty much tell you exactly what I eat:
breakfast:either a bagel and cream cheese, or cereal(Frosted Mini Wheats is my fav, has fiber too).
Lunch: I love subs!lol, I eat turkey and cheese sandwiches on Nature's Own fiber low carb bread(like wraps too).For snacks I eat wheat thins(sometimes with lil pimento cheese, my fav), Kashi snack bars
Dinner: varies alot, I try to get green beans,corn..etc, love any type of chicken,I am a college student so of course I eat easy mac from time to time.lol I really like oriental food..Tsao's chicken, sushi..you name it.
Drinks: TON of water, diet coke
I can eat ice cream on occasion too if I am craving it. I LOVE chocolate too, it has never bothered me. I have occasional flare ups..not many. No different really when I was on the diet. I have had IBS for so long that I really feel I have just learned to deal with it as if it is normal. "I am just rolling with the punches!"lol
Let me know how everything is going!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4625 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 25484

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review