All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
I wanna gain 15lbs!!!!
      #216882 - 10/01/05 01:00 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

I know for some people this may sound ridiculous but us thin people sometimes also struggle with our weight! I'm so tired of not being able to wear anything I want because everything is too big. I want to weigh 100lbs. I've fluctuated between 85-90lbs all my life and I'm 38 years old for crying out loud! It's no wonder I own 9 thousand pair of shoes! My shoe size never fluctuates and I know I'm a size 5 no matter what kind of shoe

Anyway what I'm getting at is does anyone have a tip on what to eat that could put some weight on me? Carbs I know are good and I do eat a lot of pasta type meals but I swear just when I get up to a couple pounds my IBS kicks in and I lose whatever I just gained I am fortunate in the fact that I can eat sweets, cakes and junk and I think that's the only thing that helps me stay above 85lbs. And whoever said having IBS doesn't make you lose weight is full of it. Cause when I'm having a flair up I DON'T EAT!!! Duhhh when you don't eat you lose weight! Ughhhhh sorry for the ranting. I'm frustrated (Plus PMSing). Can anyone help? Not looking for sympathy just some weight gaining diets/tips!!!!! P.S. I don't want to try those Ensure things or Carnation instant breakfasts either as I'm lactose intollerant and can't stomach them.

Thanks all!!!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I wanna gain 15lbs!!!! new
      #216884 - 10/01/05 01:29 PM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

I was like you last year saying the same thing and now I weigh 113 lbs. I started out at 88 lbs and finally after a year, I was able to gain weight and now getting sick again....I have already lost 3 lbs. I don't want to lose anymore weight....I want to get up to 120 lbs, but I don't think that is going to happen. Well.....uh.....what did I do to gain weight?? I ate alot of carbs, drank 2 ensure(plus)a day and alot of sugar cookies!!! If you can't handle the ensure, I don't know if you will be able to gain weight. That is probably the primary thing that allowed me to gain weight!
I wish I had more to tell you.....good luck and keep eating whenever you can!!
Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

#216888 - 10/01/05 02:46 PM
LittleLisa

Awww I'm sorry you are sick again! That stinks. I can totally relate though! I hate when I get a stomach bug and I can lose like 3lbs in a few days. Takes me weeks to gain it back! I was just on a IBS flare up like you for a couple weeks. Just couln't shake it. All my clothes were getting too big and I just felt like blahhhh!

I guess I have to look into the Ensure and see what the ingredients are in it. Maybe they make a lactose free one or something. Was it good tasting? I remember when I could tolerate milk and drank those carnation instant breakfasts and they were good. I'm just not a fan of milk and never really was.

Now the sugar cookies sound like a plan! Hope you are feeling better real soon and that weight stays on ya!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

#216890 - 10/01/05 03:26 PM
angela3

Reged: 07/12/04
Loc: Texas, near Fort Worth)

I also struggle to keep my weight up. Most women hate it when I say that! When I am getting underweight I try to eat alot more bread and I make alot of Heather's bread, like pumpkin and zuchinni. I also try to eat white cakes when they are available, in fact I am baking myself a cake right now. I also eat more of the sugary cereals, like honeycombs, corn pops, and I make rice krispy treats.

Mentally I feel bad eating all that carbs and sugar, but I can't handle fats or greasy foods, so really that's our only option.

I can't do any of the Ensure or Carnation, etc. They all have dairy, at least the ones I've seen do.

#216896 - 10/01/05 04:51 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi Lisa,

I have a problem gaining weight, too. At one time I was down to 108 from 122 and was getting concerned because I was eating and didn't understand why I was losing. The doc knows that I have panic attacks and am a very anxious person. She said that being anxious can use up calories and make you lose weight. She also said that the more I obsessed that I was losing weight the more I would lose. I was weighing myself several times a day.

Of course, I can't help but worry about everything....that's just the way I am. But, I finally have gotten up to 117 and did it mostly by having a shake in the evening. I can have some dairy if I take a Lactaid pill, so I had Vanilla Frozen Yogurt ice cream mixed with whole Lactaid milk. Slowly I started putting on a little weight. Also, I eat lots of sweets and starches. I never tried the Ensure but it might be a thought.

Believe me, I know how frustrating it is but I guess we have an easier time of it than those trying to lose weight.

Good luck
Barbie

--------------------

GRRRRRRRRRR.... new
      #216898 - 10/01/05 05:43 PM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

I have an extra 120 lbs. if you guys want to share. Figure out a way and I'll ship it to you. I wish it were that easy.I think when you're C that it has time to take every last calorie out of the food and sends it to your hips.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

#216899 - 10/01/05 05:47 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Well what do you eat in a typical day? Write everything you eat and drink, and maybe we can give suggestions. One suggestion is that instead of drinking water when you're thirsty, try to always drink something with calories...something really good is Chocolate Silk soy milk, sooo yummy! Also try eating dessert breads for snacks like zucchini bread or banana bread. What types of foods are easier for you to handle? Can you handle peanut butter?

--------------------
IBS-C

#216905 - 10/01/05 06:12 PM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

that's actually a lot of what goes on on the fitness board - not everyone who posts there is trying to lose weight. there's a handful of us posting daily what we eat, our exercise, all that. support and advice. you should come post over there.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

Re:Jaime g new
      #216911 - 10/01/05 06:53 PM
LittleLisa

Thanks for the tip! I tend to just post in the living room cause for the most part I am stable(my IBS acts up at hormone times). I've just gotten to the point where I know I need to try harder to gain weight instead of just settling with my current weight. I will check out the fitness board and maybe start writing down what I eat each day. It will be great to get tips from others that are in the same boat I am.

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Re: Barbie.. new
      #216913 - 10/01/05 07:00 PM
LittleLisa

I too am an anxious person and I believe I burn my calories too just worrying about this and that! I was diagnosed with "generalized anxiety disorder" when I was about 21. It's very stable now as I just worry about stupid things like catching the stomach bug or driving far distances or snow! I've pretty much learned to control it so it doesn't turn into panic(thank goodness).

You and I are so much alike it's scary. When my weight does go down I too weigh myself 3 times a day. WE even have a stupid scale in work that I catch myself on when I'm down on my weight! I believe the fact though the more you obsess about it the more you'll lose. I finally stopped weighing myself this last bout and lo and behold I started to gain a pound at a time back.

I'd give everything to have a shake each night before bed but I am sooooo afraid to even try ice-cream ever again. My sister tried the lactaid and said it didn't work for her. I really should just try it or some type of soy milk but I'm so chicken! I need to just bit the bullet!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

In about the same boat... new
      #216914 - 10/01/05 07:01 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

I have a horendous time gaining weight, and was mildly satisfied with just maintaining the weight I had (108 lbs and I'm 5'4", so a little underweight). When I went on vacation to London three weeks ago, I apparently lost 5 lbs. I haven't been able to put it back on yet, and all my jeans are too big, and my belt doesn't even really help on the last hole! Going to have to go shopping for at least a smaller belt this week, can't afford new jeans!

No real suggestions though, other than trying to each more calorie rich food, like lots of sugar. I know Casey swears by potatoes helping her gain weight back.

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Re: Angela 3 new
      #216915 - 10/01/05 07:05 PM
LittleLisa

I know women hate to hear that we struggle. I try my hardest to explain that it's the same as someone trying to lose. It's so hard to explain that it's just as not ok to tell someone that they are too skinny as it is to tell someone that they are too fat! Feelings are hurt either way.

I do love those kinds of breads. In fact I have a loaf of Zucchini bread frozen in the freezer right now. I love banana bread and those such breads too. I can tolerate just about any kind of sweets but brownies sometimes do me in. I'll have to start buying some more white cakes too now!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Re: GRRRRRRRRRR.... new
      #216916 - 10/01/05 07:08 PM
LittleLisa

Sorry CArol! Believe me if there was a way to take people's extra pounds from them I'd be first in line! I'd also be first in line for any kind of surgery that would fix IBS. Unfortunately there's no such thing as either

Being C and D does make a difference. I actually like when I don't go one day. I feel a bit heavier, however, being D I pay the next day for not going! So I'm right there with ya and the GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Re:Fishnets new
      #216918 - 10/01/05 07:16 PM
LittleLisa

My typical day(during the week)is

(2)pieces of Pepperidge Farm Cin Swirl bread w/butter for breakfast.

Some type of soup or my addiction a WaWa turkey hoagie with salt,pepper and pickles. Little bit of mayo.

Dinner(when not in baseball season with my boys)is generally some type of pasta meal, chicken meal, boneless pork chop meal.

Snacks(this is bad)M&M's, choc chip cookies, tootsie rolls,candy of some sort.

I drink a ton of Koolaide or lemonaide every day. I also have at least 8oz of water each day.

Yes I can tolerate peanut butter. That's high in protein which I assume is good for weight gaining? I can not have milk or ice-cream. I'm afraid to try the soy which is an issue I must get over. I'm lacking calcium big time without it. I do love the banana breads and such. Does it matter if they are boxed or homemade?

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Re: In about the same boat... new
      #216919 - 10/01/05 07:20 PM
LittleLisa

Hi Melissa! The same thing happened to me when we went to Disney in April. I think from all the walking we did for 6 days straight by the end of the week my shorts were huge on me and I was like "what the heck". Then it dawned on me. Did you do a lot of walking on your vacation? I bet you did. I saw pics that you posted though and you did not look too thin to me. I'm only 5foot and I weight 87lbs right now. I hate it!!!! I feel like everyone is staring at me. I know it's my imagination but that's how I feel.

I'll have to check with Casey and the potatoes. I love them and can tolerate all forms of them.

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Re: Barbie.. new
      #216920 - 10/01/05 07:40 PM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

I wouldn't do it. I tried that about two weeks ago. I took a lactaid (extra strength) and ate some regular yougurt and a ice cream bar and I had a really bad "D" attack the next morning. The Lactaid, apparently, didn't do a thing for me! Grrrr!!!
Good luck if you try it!!
Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

I want to gain too. new
      #216929 - 10/01/05 08:11 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Lisa,
I was posting on the IBS Fitness board because I want to gain weight too. I'm taking a break from posting, but it was really helpful for me to see what, how often, and how much I was actually eating every day. I'm 5'6", 110 lbs (104 pounds when I first found this site in December 04), and would like to be a curvy and sexy 125. I want boobies!

Edited by Maria!Maria! (10/02/05 02:08 PM)

#216955 - 10/02/05 06:56 AM
fishnets

Quote:

My typical day(during the week)is

(2)pieces of Pepperidge Farm Cin Swirl bread w/butter for breakfast.

Some type of soup or my addiction a WaWa turkey hoagie with salt,pepper and pickles. Little bit of mayo.

Dinner(when not in baseball season with my boys)is generally some type of pasta meal, chicken meal, boneless pork chop meal.

Snacks(this is bad)M&M's, choc chip cookies, tootsie rolls,candy of some sort.

I drink a ton of Koolaide or lemonaide every day. I also have at least 8oz of water each day.

Yes I can tolerate peanut butter. That's high in protein which I assume is good for weight gaining? I can not have milk or ice-cream. I'm afraid to try the soy which is an issue I must get over. I'm lacking calcium big time without it. I do love the banana breads and such. Does it matter if they are boxed or homemade?

I'd say add more for breakfast if you can, and maybe a bit more for lunch? I'm not sure how big that sandwich is so hard to say. But if you're just having soup for lunch that isn't much! Yeah peanut butter is calorie dense, and very healthy for you. It does have fat, so you may want to try the reduced fat if the regular bothers you. I'd say as far as breads, make homemade. They're tastier and will have the ingrediants you want...not sure if the boxed ones will have triggers. But if not, go for it. You should try soy stuff, might as well right? If you can tolerate it fine, then you can add even more variety to your diet

--------------------
IBS-C

Re:Maria Maria new
      #216957 - 10/02/05 07:20 AM
LittleLisa

I'm with ya, however, I do have boobies. I'm a 34C with a 24inch waist which obviously doesn't match

So you gained 6lbs since you started documenting your eats? I'll take 6lbs! That would be awesome. Still wouldn't be at 100 but I'd be closer

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Re: It's just hard to EAT ENOUGH in a day!!! new
      #217001 - 10/02/05 02:13 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Truly, Lisa--I agree with you about anxiety/G.A.D. causing weightloss or accelerated 'burn.' I'm living proof. Lately, I just cannot keep up with my metabolism and I keep dropping.
Anymore and I'll look anorectic/skeletal. It already hurts to sleep (i.e. bones rubbing against each other and what poses as a bed.)

I've started eating animal protein again, too. I find that sugar really makes me ill/nauseated and gags me--so that's out. Starchy carbs really render me unconscious, i.e. put me in a coma and well...they kind of don't sit in my tummy very long or well, so they're gone. TMJ/bad teeth beyond belief just make me too frustrated or tired to chew. I guess I need a little meat on my bones to haul around my skeletal burden for my duration on Earth. Muscle power/tone.

I get depressed and well...just lose my appetite. I fill up so fast.

I just don't want to lose more & it's hard not to obsess about it.

Aie!!! Challenges. I've stopped really counting calories, or at least being very obsessive--having a more go with the flow attitude.

Kate.

Edited by Wind (10/02/05 02:21 PM)

Lisa-some more info about me... new
      #217003 - 10/02/05 02:21 PM
lalala

You're probably overwhelmed by responses, but in case you're interested, I though you might want to know that I've been keeping a personal eating and IBS symptom journal since Sept 04. However, I didn't start the Eating for IBS diet until the end of December 04 and didn't join the boards until February 05. I'm not sure when I started posting on the IBS Fitness Boards.

One thing that has helped me the most was getting over my fear of eating after having a D attack. So, even when I have a D attack now, I EAT! When I was getting stable I ate Low-Fat Pumpkin Cranberry Bread as my "between meals" snack and drank a lot of Soymilk Chai. YOu could use vanilla-flavored rice or almond milk if you're not sure about the soy.

I've never really lost my appetite with attacks; I was just afraid eating ANYTHING would trigger an attack. Well, now I know that NOT eating can actually be a trigger. When I have an attack I do follow the "What to Eat" or "BTC" guidelines for a day or two and continue to eat my six small meals. I really feel this is key because it helps me bounce back quicker from an attack and helps me maintain my calorie intake so I can maintain my weight; however, I don't do it for more than two days because then I just feel really tired. I find that Luna Bars are easy for me tolerate and a good way to add extra calories.

A year ago I was probably getting around 1000 calories a day. Now it's more like 1400-1600, although I should be getting 1800 or more in order to continue to gain the weight I lost. (FYI, I went from 122 to 104 last spring/summer.)

Edited by Maria!Maria! (10/02/05 02:31 PM)

Me too! I look like a pregnant skeleton! new
      #217004 - 10/02/05 02:22 PM
Casper

Reged: 10/16/04
Loc: Memphis, TN

I'm not pregnant (at least I don't think so) But I swell up from the IBS. Still I can't seem to gain enough weight to fit into normal clothes. It's embarressing. I buy the same size clothes as my 12 year old daughter.
And when I complain about it people say "I wish I had that problem!" and I"m like "be careful what you wish for!"
Does the potatoe thing really work?
I just can't eat alot because when I do I feel sick.
Just venting along with you I have no adivce so I'm going to read the rest of these posts now.

Re: It's just hard to EAT ENOUGH in a day!!! new
      #217005 - 10/02/05 02:25 PM
lalala

My anxiety doesn't seem to be affecting my appetite one way or another, but I keep forgetting that being overly anxious burns calories. So maybe the Buspar and the anxiety reduction has been another key in helping me maintain my current weight. Hm...

#217006 - 10/02/05 02:26 PM
Casper

I eat organic P/b. Also I can't genrally tollerate too much soy? Will rice milk be good for weight gain?

I'm C and I can't gain weight. - new
      #217007 - 10/02/05 02:31 PM
Casper

An every time I do gain a pound or two it usually goes away when my falirup is over. Which makes me realize that what I thought was weight gain was bloat, gas, and you know what!

I got rid of my scale! new
      #217009 - 10/02/05 02:35 PM
Casper

Now I only get to weigh myself when I take my kids to the pediatrcian. I'm a worrier too. I guess worry goes with IBS, but sometimes I worry over silly things that don't really matter and then I feel stupid. My husband is great at keeping me grounded.

Have you tried the Anti depreesent brownies? new
      #217011 - 10/02/05 02:39 PM
Casper

Those brownies and cold cereals are the only thing that's keeping me from wasting away to nothing! They are soooo yummy!

Re: I got rid of my scale! new
      #217012 - 10/02/05 02:41 PM
lalala

If I start losing weight I start worrying BIG TIME! "Oh no, I'm dying!" I start thinking, even though the weight loss is really because I'm not eating enough due to an IBS flare-up and me worrying that I'll eat something and have another attack and so I'm hungry and worried and scared and--"Oh no, I just lost another two pounds!"--and AAHHHH!!! A vicious cycle I decided to end earlier this year.

Now I only get weighed at the doctor's office and I keep eating through the attacks.

I hear ya, Lisa! :) new
      #217013 - 10/02/05 02:44 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Hey Lisa! I know how you feel, because I've tried to gain weight most of my life, but it's been hard because like you, I stop eating when it hurts. It doesn't make it easier that most people don't underrstand that when you are underweight, it is actually easier to lose pounds than it is to gain them. At my worst IBS moment when I started high school, I was 5'8" and 76 pounds. I didn't reach 100 until I was 19 or 20, and it was so frustrating trying to gain, then gaining a little and losing it all when I wasn't careful about managing my D. I just KNEW that everybody noticed I didn't have boobs-- embarrasing!

The only thing I did to effectively gain weight was to add a snacktime plus 3 new foods, and keep it up. I wouldn't give up any one of my pounds now without a fight! I figured out that I could digest a little dairy if I upped my imodium, too. Dairy was essential to me to break that 100 lb. barier!

But it still is tricky for me to keep on weight. I went from 155 the last week of March this year to 134 after being hospitallized for 3 days with non-stop D and vomiting (when I had my nasel-gastric tube) due to a virus I must have caught on a plane back from London. 21 pounds dissappeared in 3 days, and I've just now (at the end of september!!) managed to put them back on.

Scary knowing it can all go, just like that!!

I say good luck, and go slow! Find something, and stick to it. Don't get discouraged if the weight doesn't come on a quickley as you'd like. I'm in your corner, Lisa! You can do it!

Let us know how it goes! BTW, LOL about the shoes!!! I have the same thing, a ton of shoes, but hardly any clothes that fit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~nelly~

LOL Casper! Pregnant skeleton! new
      #217014 - 10/02/05 02:47 PM
Nelly

LOL! Pregnant skelleton!! You're so funny!

I'm tall and skinny, and I've always thought I look like I'm built like a spider with a little potbelly!!

~nelly~

Re: I got rid of my scale! new
      #217016 - 10/02/05 02:49 PM
Nelly

I SHALL NEVER EAT AGAIN, I tell myself! Ugh, it's so horrible when the food you rely on makes you sick. {{{{{{{{BIG HUGS}}}}}}}}

~nelly~

Re: I hear ya, Lisa! :) new
      #217020 - 10/02/05 02:58 PM
lalala

Wow, Nelly! 76 lbs! My sister (she doesn't have IBS) was similarly underweight in high school and she did receive a lot of rude comments and people assuming she had an eating disorder or a worm. We laugh about it now, but I remember how upset she was at the time. It's unbelievable how insensitive people can be.

Now that I've experienced being underweight, I can understand a bit better how terrible those assumptions can make you feel. I've also learned that the less you weigh the more pain you feel! I'm uncoordinated, but since I used to have more padding, other than feeling embarrassed I didn't feel much pain. Now I feel every bump and stumble, every blow I take to my hips or elbows.

Edited by Maria!Maria! (10/02/05 03:09 PM)

I used to be afraid to eat during and after attacks too. new
      #217026 - 10/02/05 03:21 PM
Casper

But now I keep a package of rice cakes in my pantry for my bad days.

eat soy icecream! thats what keeps the weight on me!! -nt- new
      #217035 - 10/02/05 04:12 PM
Lyndsey

Reged: 02/16/05
Loc: Bay Area, CA

#217133 - 10/03/05 07:13 AM
fishnets

Quote:

I eat organic P/b. Also I can't genrally tollerate too much soy? Will rice milk be good for weight gain?

Sure! Basiclly any beverage that has calories, you want to drink instead of water. That's a good way of sneaking in calories, but you won't get as full as you would with food. They make chocolate rice milk too, but I dunno if you'd like the flavor(I tried it once and it tasted like chocolate raisen bran to me lol). But the plain is sweet and "thin", not thick like soy milk.

You could also make smoothies...like put rice milk, some protein powder (egg white powder is safe), banana, peanut butter, sugar, whatever else. I don't actually know how to make smoothies so if that tastes gross don't blame me

Also any type of syrups, gravy, toppings, whatever you can add to something will help. Maybe try to eat 4 meals a day instead of three. Make sure you eat lots of snacks too!

--------------------
IBS-C

Re: Have you tried the Anti depreesent brownies? new
      #217231 - 10/03/05 03:01 PM
LittleLisa

Yuck! Didn't like them. I am fortunate I can eat Betty Crocker brownies (most of the time without ill effect!)

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Re: WOW!!!! I never thought new
      #217239 - 10/03/05 03:48 PM
LittleLisa

I'd get as many responses as I did from you guys! Seems to be a bigger issue that I thought. Thanks all sooooo much for all the tips. I now know about Rice milk which I'm leaning on trying before the Soy. I started my High Carb diet yesterday. Here's what I had yesterday and today. Let me know what you think guys.
Sunday:
Pancake with Jelly
Lunch:Ham/cheese on a Kaiser Roll w/Doritos
Dinner: Chicken Parm w/Spaghetti, Twice baked potatoe, piece of bread.
Snacks:Rice Krispy treat, few cookies, tootsie rolls(vanilla-yummmy)

Today:
2 pieces of Cinn Swirl Bread
Water
Turkey Hoagie with Pickles
Lemonaide
Ham, String Beans, Toasted Almond Rice, Dinner roll, Grape Koolaide
Snacks so far: M&M's, Rice Krispy Treats, Double stuffed cookie

I really feel full today. Like I ate more than normal which is a good thing. I know it's not really a "carb" diet but I'm trying to consume more carbs. I know I need to snack more in between. It's hard this week at work cause we are really busy so I have to make time to just keep popping stuff in my mouth.

I've actually lowered my goal to 10 simply cause 15 ia a lot and I want to see results. I'm probaly 88lbs today so 98-100 would be ideal for me. I'm actually excited about trying this. I'm hoping it works. Hope all can put up with me with my ups and downs from here on out!

Thanks again guys for all the words of wisdom and experiences with weight gain. Here's to us "anorexic, spider looking, skeleton girls!!!! woohoo

P.S. whatdaya think of this: I don't take any vitamins currently but when I was pregnant I was at my healthiest weight and well being. Do ya think taking prenatal vitamins again would be a stupid question to ask the doctor??

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Re: Maria Maria new
      #217240 - 10/03/05 03:57 PM
LittleLisa

I'm pretty good with knowing that I have to still eat even after a D attack. I've learned that I have to eat but sometimes it's worse than others so I take it easy. One of my famous things after an attack is to eat chicken rice soup. I use College Inn broth and make some rice and have that. I think the rice helps bind me and the broth is good for a yucky belly.

I will start to make more of the "dessert breads". They seem to be big with everyone who is trying to gain. Heck I love junk food anyway so I won't mind eating that at all. I love banana bread w/choc chips! The other thing is the Luna Bars. I haven't been able to find them in my local grocery store. I'll have to check the HFS for them.

I have no idea how many calories I'm consuming a day. I imagine some days more than others. I have to take the time to sit down and do that or maybe buy a calorie book. This is just like being on a diet to lose weight. You finally have to just push yourself to stick to something.

I've also decided to slowly stop biting my nails too. Another struggle I've had all my life. I have a theory on how to stop, however, only if it works will I tell. (it's kinda silly how I'm doing it)

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

#217246 - 10/03/05 04:34 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi Lisa,

My DIL still takes prenatal vitamins and my grandaughter is 11 months old. She'd not trying to gain weight but she likes the prenatal vitamins. I think it would be a good idea to take some kind of vitamins and if the prenatal agree with you.....why not!

I take Walgreens A to Z vitamins and since I don't really eat many veggies (scared of them) I think it helps with the nutrition I'm not getting from veggies. Another benefit is taking vitamins makes me hungry.

Another suggestion and something that helped me was peanut butter. I don't know if you can tolerate it but if you can spread some on toast with some jelly or do like I do....toast a waffle and then spray some butter and then spread on the peanut butter....it gets all gooey and melty and is really good.

Keep us posted on how it goes and I bet you will be so excited when you hit 90 lbs. It's only up from there! WOO HOO!

Barbie

--------------------

#217251 - 10/03/05 06:34 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

Pre-natal vitamins are a good thing! Heather writes about how they are easier on the tummy, if I'm not mistaken. Plus, it doesn't look like you are getting many vegetables in your diet and vegetables are IMPORTANT. You need the vitamins they contain.

Re: Passanie new
      #217258 - 10/03/05 06:59 PM
LittleLisa

I don't get many veggies. String beans, carrots, cucumbers and mushrooms are all I can tolerate. Lettuce sparingly. I will look up Heather's info on prenatal vitamins. Thanks for the tip.

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Re: That would be great if vitamins made me hungry! new
      #217260 - 10/03/05 07:03 PM
LittleLisa

That's great Barbie. Maybe that's why I felt so good on them. I ate more when I was pregnant too!

Yep, when I hit 90lbs we'll have to celebrate. Gosh that sounds pathetic doesn' it?!?!?!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Hey Lisa!! new
      #217264 - 10/03/05 07:43 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi Lisa,

I am totally on the other boat right now, trying to lose weight but I did struggle when I was younger with being super skinny so I know it is hard too!

I was going to suggest that you take a look through posts on the Fitness Board from when Casey was trying to gain weight. You'll have to ask her about how long ago that was, because I can't quite remember but she had really great success with putting some weight on when she felt she was underweight. I think she used to eat babyfoods, lots of breads and I think she made oven fries with sweet potatoes that sounded really yummy.

I know you are worried about soy, but I really think you should give it a shot. They make so many awesome soy products that might really help. Silk brand is definitely the best soy milk I have ever had, the chocolate is AWESOME! Try having like a tiny bit at first and gradually add in tiny bits more and see how you do. Then you have a whole world of soy ice creams, cheeses.. mm, very yummy.

What about peppermint fudge cake? I loooove it. And the pear spiced bread? To die for, and a heck of a lot of sugar! I also make those mocha chocolate muffins and they were super good.

What about things like baked lays and pretzels and those flavoured rice cakes and stuff like that to snack on throughout the day?

Good luck! Definitely check in with the Fitness board if you want to start reporting in, it's great!!

Cheers,
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Pump iron! new
      #217269 - 10/03/05 08:08 PM
Lynx

Reged: 04/21/05

I was 93 lbs before I started working out. It may all be muscle, but I'm 104 lbs, now.

--------------------
Check out my gallery! http://niomie.deviantart.com/

I'll second that! new
      #217276 - 10/03/05 09:34 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I've gained at least 5 lbs since I started weight training (but that's a little deceptive since I've also lost some fat in that time). The important thing is that I no longer look or feel like a stick figure Weight training has also significantly increased my appetite (naturally) so I have no trouble eating more.

...I heart weights

Just to be sure new
      #217307 - 10/04/05 07:49 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

I have a question about these foods: pancakes, ham/cheese, doritos (dairy in them), parm chicken, Ham, M&Ms, Double stuffed Cookie. No judgement, but these generally aren't considered safe, right?

This can be confusing for newbies...and for not so newbies! Lisa, I am so jealous you can eat these...don't they affect you horribly?

I think I'm going to add some 'notmilk' to my diet new
      #217336 - 10/04/05 09:38 AM
Wind

I can't afford to lose weight!!! I'm already a bonerack (clueless re: weight). It hurts to sleep from bones rubbing against each other and what poses as a bed. My bones are 'thirsty' for some high calcium foods. I think I might start mindlessly adding a little faux-cow products to my menu. Be a 'notmilk' girl! Also, I can't tummy a lot of food most days. Perhaps the calcium will calm my anxiety ridden nerves/metabolism.

I'll check it out. What do you think?

I'll give it a shot. I'm walking more and doing more yoga, lately as well, so I've upped the activity a tad.

Hmmmm,
Kate.

Re: Just to be sure new
      #217365 - 10/04/05 10:27 AM
LittleLisa

Yes, please understand EVERYONE that I am far from an extreme case of IBS. I've been able to regulate it for the most part. I know what I can and can not eat. The only major triggers for me are Milk, icecream, sour cream, cream cheese, corn on the cob and garlic and onions! I don't have near the triggers as the normal IBS'r! Fortunately yes I still can eat things some made with milk products.

Sorry to confuse some newbies!!!!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Re: Pump iron! new
      #217368 - 10/04/05 10:34 AM
LittleLisa

I did try doing that many, many years ago. Gosh before I was 21 I bet I know it does add a few pounds. I was young then and didn't stick to it too much. Not sure if it's cause I didn't see results. I don't remember. HOWEVER, I do now have a $350 monstrous weight machine down in the basement that my husband HAD to have. He used it 1 month Maybe I should get some use out of it. It's a matter of know what to do thats tough. I'll have to look on line for some info.

Thanks for the tip!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Re: Hi Stephie! new
      #217369 - 10/04/05 10:38 AM
LittleLisa

Never thought of those rice cakes! Simply cause everyone on diets to lose weight eat them. My co-worker eats the chocolate ones and boy can I smell them all the way over at my desk. They smell good.

Yes, I think I'll do baby steps on the rice milk/soy milk stuff. I opened the refig and saw someone at work had some rice milk. I smelled it and really couldn't smell anything bad. I'll put it on my shopping list for this weekend. YOu are so right though, If I can tolerate the non milk stuff I can open my world to lots of yummy stuff!

Hope you are feeling better today Stephie! I'm kinda yucky today with my period and cramps so my food intake is a bit less today. But come tomorrow I'm gonna eat like a cow!!!!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Re: Pump iron! new
      #217442 - 10/04/05 04:11 PM
retrograde

If I could recommend some sites, these are my favourites ...

ExRx ("Exercise Prescription") - extermely extensive

Women's Weight Training - you'll love this site... just trust me on this one

HTH!

Re: Pump iron!/Retrograde new
      #217463 - 10/04/05 06:20 PM
Wind

You know, that's probably a good thought. I'm so 'fly-away,' a total wind/air type...literally a gust would blow me over! It would be grounding. Great for my bones.

I tried that fatfree SoGood that you enjoy and guess what? It agrees with me!!! All the other soymilks gave me such a problem, due to my hyper-fat sensitivity. It's a fabulous way to gently add calories and TONS of nutrition. Maybe I have guts similar to yours, Laurel!!! Lol!

Kate, IBS-D.

Re: Pump iron!/Retrograde new
      #217470 - 10/04/05 06:53 PM
retrograde

Yay! I'm always happy to bring another convert to weight training! Haha. You know it probably would be really good for you and your bones, and with all the protein you've been consuming lately it would be like the next logical step...

Mmmmm fat free SoGood It's the only kind that agrees with me too - all the other ones are way too high fat and just send my guts into knots (heh, maybe we do have similar guts!) Good way to get calories (and protein ) in, but personally I can't stand to just drink an milk/not-milk of any kind... never grew up with drinking glasses of milk though, it just really turns me off. Love it with my Cheerios and bananas though.

I gained 15lbs!!!! new
      #217532 - 10/05/05 06:55 AM
trapley

Reged: 03/16/05
Loc: Miami, FLorida

Hi Lisa, I have been in the same boat. I'm 5'5 and my lowest weight was 100 which is bad for me. My Aunt was watching me get dressed one day and she pulled out a "Ill be glad when you gain some damn more than anything but its hard when your sick half of the month and scared to eat, and people who have problem with too much wieght just cant understand it.

I started gaining weight when I got happier and went on with my life. I am now at about 113-116, and I"m so glad I got my shape back. I started making myself eat a couple of hours after attacks. I was losing weight because I had a sincere fear of food. And some days I still only eat twice a day. but the days I feel good, I stick it to it. I eat big snack in between meals, and that gives me leway ont he days I dont feel good. Keep peanut butter and crakers. I think my ability to eat eggs helped because I ate omelets at least 3 times a week. Try something high in protein. I found when I stopped worrying about gaining weight it came, also to be honest when I became more sexual (which I had ceased due to my IBS depression) I started gaining weight too.

I still have problem finding vitamins though because my IBS D comes with those, but I"m anemic and need them.

Hope it Helps But one thing I have ralized about IBS is that everyone's case is different and what worked for me might not work for you and vica versa.

--------------------
Keep Smiling

Re: I gained 15lbs!!!! new
      #217671 - 10/05/05 06:46 PM
LittleLisa

Wow Trapley I'm jealous! It's great to know though that it is possible Right now I'm having a bit of a tough time of it since I have my period and am fighting D from it. I have though come to the conclusion that even with the worst D attacks I still have to eat. I had a bowl of homemade chicken soup today for lunch and it came right out about 1hr and half after I ate it I waited a few hrs and went home and had a pizza bagel then for dinner. Normally I would have come home and had some more type of soup but I decided oh well I have no where to go tonight, might as well eat! Guess what? It stayed in (ok well that's as of tonight at least! who knows what tomorrow morning will bring)Anyway, point is, we still have to eat even after a attack. My stomach killed me from cramps plus IBS issues and I still ate.

My biggest neglect is snacking. I have to snack more. Apparently peanut butter is great for gaining. Has the protein and the calories. I'll have to buy some peanut butter crackers and make it a point to have a pack a day!

Thanks for your inspiring story and I hope to gain between 10-15lbs. I am 5feet tall and weigh about 87lbs now. I wanna be 100!!!!!!!!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

#217736 - 10/06/05 07:20 AM
trapley

Reged: 03/16/05
Loc: Miami, FLorida

NO Problem at all Lisa, I know how it is. My ex boyfriend used to yell at me when I did't want to eat after an attack (maybe thats why he's an ex). WIth IBS I realized its not completely mental, but you do ave to overcome your fears of bringing on an attack and just take a chance. Like you eating your bagel after something like Chicken soup affected you. Keep me posted. I"m still tyring to gain 5 more pounds and my period is next week grrrr . Dont you just hate how when it comes around it came aggrevate the IBS and you get to look forward to it every month.

--------------------
Keep Smiling

#217763 - 10/06/05 08:25 AM
imp

Reged: 02/19/05
Loc: england

I have the need to gain weight problem,but i agree that you have to listen to your body.I do eat quite alot,except if i have a bad day.I just don't sit still long enough and cannot tolerate hi fat foods which is what i need really.

Re: I want to gain too. new
      #217765 - 10/06/05 08:30 AM
imp

Reged: 02/19/05
Loc: england

i so agree i want my boobs and bum back.i cannot tolerate soya milk,but do like rice milk.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 932 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 39536

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review