All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
I wanna gain 15lbs!!!!
      #216882 - 10/01/05 01:00 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

I know for some people this may sound ridiculous but us thin people sometimes also struggle with our weight! I'm so tired of not being able to wear anything I want because everything is too big. I want to weigh 100lbs. I've fluctuated between 85-90lbs all my life and I'm 38 years old for crying out loud! It's no wonder I own 9 thousand pair of shoes! My shoe size never fluctuates and I know I'm a size 5 no matter what kind of shoe

Anyway what I'm getting at is does anyone have a tip on what to eat that could put some weight on me? Carbs I know are good and I do eat a lot of pasta type meals but I swear just when I get up to a couple pounds my IBS kicks in and I lose whatever I just gained I am fortunate in the fact that I can eat sweets, cakes and junk and I think that's the only thing that helps me stay above 85lbs. And whoever said having IBS doesn't make you lose weight is full of it. Cause when I'm having a flair up I DON'T EAT!!! Duhhh when you don't eat you lose weight! Ughhhhh sorry for the ranting. I'm frustrated (Plus PMSing). Can anyone help? Not looking for sympathy just some weight gaining diets/tips!!!!! P.S. I don't want to try those Ensure things or Carnation instant breakfasts either as I'm lactose intollerant and can't stomach them.

Thanks all!!!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I wanna gain 15lbs!!!! new
      #216884 - 10/01/05 01:29 PM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

I was like you last year saying the same thing and now I weigh 113 lbs. I started out at 88 lbs and finally after a year, I was able to gain weight and now getting sick again....I have already lost 3 lbs. I don't want to lose anymore weight....I want to get up to 120 lbs, but I don't think that is going to happen. Well.....uh.....what did I do to gain weight?? I ate alot of carbs, drank 2 ensure(plus)a day and alot of sugar cookies!!! If you can't handle the ensure, I don't know if you will be able to gain weight. That is probably the primary thing that allowed me to gain weight!
I wish I had more to tell you.....good luck and keep eating whenever you can!!
Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

#216888 - 10/01/05 02:46 PM
LittleLisa

Awww I'm sorry you are sick again! That stinks. I can totally relate though! I hate when I get a stomach bug and I can lose like 3lbs in a few days. Takes me weeks to gain it back! I was just on a IBS flare up like you for a couple weeks. Just couln't shake it. All my clothes were getting too big and I just felt like blahhhh!

I guess I have to look into the Ensure and see what the ingredients are in it. Maybe they make a lactose free one or something. Was it good tasting? I remember when I could tolerate milk and drank those carnation instant breakfasts and they were good. I'm just not a fan of milk and never really was.

Now the sugar cookies sound like a plan! Hope you are feeling better real soon and that weight stays on ya!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

#216890 - 10/01/05 03:26 PM
angela3

Reged: 07/12/04
Loc: Texas, near Fort Worth)

I also struggle to keep my weight up. Most women hate it when I say that! When I am getting underweight I try to eat alot more bread and I make alot of Heather's bread, like pumpkin and zuchinni. I also try to eat white cakes when they are available, in fact I am baking myself a cake right now. I also eat more of the sugary cereals, like honeycombs, corn pops, and I make rice krispy treats.

Mentally I feel bad eating all that carbs and sugar, but I can't handle fats or greasy foods, so really that's our only option.

I can't do any of the Ensure or Carnation, etc. They all have dairy, at least the ones I've seen do.

#216896 - 10/01/05 04:51 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi Lisa,

I have a problem gaining weight, too. At one time I was down to 108 from 122 and was getting concerned because I was eating and didn't understand why I was losing. The doc knows that I have panic attacks and am a very anxious person. She said that being anxious can use up calories and make you lose weight. She also said that the more I obsessed that I was losing weight the more I would lose. I was weighing myself several times a day.

Of course, I can't help but worry about everything....that's just the way I am. But, I finally have gotten up to 117 and did it mostly by having a shake in the evening. I can have some dairy if I take a Lactaid pill, so I had Vanilla Frozen Yogurt ice cream mixed with whole Lactaid milk. Slowly I started putting on a little weight. Also, I eat lots of sweets and starches. I never tried the Ensure but it might be a thought.

Believe me, I know how frustrating it is but I guess we have an easier time of it than those trying to lose weight.

Good luck
Barbie

--------------------

GRRRRRRRRRR.... new
      #216898 - 10/01/05 05:43 PM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

I have an extra 120 lbs. if you guys want to share. Figure out a way and I'll ship it to you. I wish it were that easy.I think when you're C that it has time to take every last calorie out of the food and sends it to your hips.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

#216899 - 10/01/05 05:47 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Well what do you eat in a typical day? Write everything you eat and drink, and maybe we can give suggestions. One suggestion is that instead of drinking water when you're thirsty, try to always drink something with calories...something really good is Chocolate Silk soy milk, sooo yummy! Also try eating dessert breads for snacks like zucchini bread or banana bread. What types of foods are easier for you to handle? Can you handle peanut butter?

--------------------
IBS-C

#216905 - 10/01/05 06:12 PM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

that's actually a lot of what goes on on the fitness board - not everyone who posts there is trying to lose weight. there's a handful of us posting daily what we eat, our exercise, all that. support and advice. you should come post over there.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

Re:Jaime g new
      #216911 - 10/01/05 06:53 PM
LittleLisa

Thanks for the tip! I tend to just post in the living room cause for the most part I am stable(my IBS acts up at hormone times). I've just gotten to the point where I know I need to try harder to gain weight instead of just settling with my current weight. I will check out the fitness board and maybe start writing down what I eat each day. It will be great to get tips from others that are in the same boat I am.

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Re: Barbie.. new
      #216913 - 10/01/05 07:00 PM
LittleLisa

I too am an anxious person and I believe I burn my calories too just worrying about this and that! I was diagnosed with "generalized anxiety disorder" when I was about 21. It's very stable now as I just worry about stupid things like catching the stomach bug or driving far distances or snow! I've pretty much learned to control it so it doesn't turn into panic(thank goodness).

You and I are so much alike it's scary. When my weight does go down I too weigh myself 3 times a day. WE even have a stupid scale in work that I catch myself on when I'm down on my weight! I believe the fact though the more you obsess about it the more you'll lose. I finally stopped weighing myself this last bout and lo and behold I started to gain a pound at a time back.

I'd give everything to have a shake each night before bed but I am sooooo afraid to even try ice-cream ever again. My sister tried the lactaid and said it didn't work for her. I really should just try it or some type of soy milk but I'm so chicken! I need to just bit the bullet!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2000 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 39538

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review