All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Lisa-some more info about me... new
      #217003 - 10/02/05 02:21 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

You're probably overwhelmed by responses, but in case you're interested, I though you might want to know that I've been keeping a personal eating and IBS symptom journal since Sept 04. However, I didn't start the Eating for IBS diet until the end of December 04 and didn't join the boards until February 05. I'm not sure when I started posting on the IBS Fitness Boards.

One thing that has helped me the most was getting over my fear of eating after having a D attack. So, even when I have a D attack now, I EAT! When I was getting stable I ate Low-Fat Pumpkin Cranberry Bread as my "between meals" snack and drank a lot of Soymilk Chai. YOu could use vanilla-flavored rice or almond milk if you're not sure about the soy.

I've never really lost my appetite with attacks; I was just afraid eating ANYTHING would trigger an attack. Well, now I know that NOT eating can actually be a trigger. When I have an attack I do follow the "What to Eat" or "BTC" guidelines for a day or two and continue to eat my six small meals. I really feel this is key because it helps me bounce back quicker from an attack and helps me maintain my calorie intake so I can maintain my weight; however, I don't do it for more than two days because then I just feel really tired. I find that Luna Bars are easy for me tolerate and a good way to add extra calories.

A year ago I was probably getting around 1000 calories a day. Now it's more like 1400-1600, although I should be getting 1800 or more in order to continue to gain the weight I lost. (FYI, I went from 122 to 104 last spring/summer.)

Edited by Maria!Maria! (10/02/05 02:31 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Me too! I look like a pregnant skeleton! new
      #217004 - 10/02/05 02:22 PM
Casper

Reged: 10/16/04
Loc: Memphis, TN

I'm not pregnant (at least I don't think so) But I swell up from the IBS. Still I can't seem to gain enough weight to fit into normal clothes. It's embarressing. I buy the same size clothes as my 12 year old daughter.
And when I complain about it people say "I wish I had that problem!" and I"m like "be careful what you wish for!"
Does the potatoe thing really work?
I just can't eat alot because when I do I feel sick.
Just venting along with you I have no adivce so I'm going to read the rest of these posts now.

Re: It's just hard to EAT ENOUGH in a day!!! new
      #217005 - 10/02/05 02:25 PM
lalala

My anxiety doesn't seem to be affecting my appetite one way or another, but I keep forgetting that being overly anxious burns calories. So maybe the Buspar and the anxiety reduction has been another key in helping me maintain my current weight. Hm...

Re:Fishnets new
      #217006 - 10/02/05 02:26 PM
Casper

I eat organic P/b. Also I can't genrally tollerate too much soy? Will rice milk be good for weight gain?

I'm C and I can't gain weight. - new
      #217007 - 10/02/05 02:31 PM
Casper

An every time I do gain a pound or two it usually goes away when my falirup is over. Which makes me realize that what I thought was weight gain was bloat, gas, and you know what!

I got rid of my scale! new
      #217009 - 10/02/05 02:35 PM
Casper

Now I only get to weigh myself when I take my kids to the pediatrcian. I'm a worrier too. I guess worry goes with IBS, but sometimes I worry over silly things that don't really matter and then I feel stupid. My husband is great at keeping me grounded.

Have you tried the Anti depreesent brownies? new
      #217011 - 10/02/05 02:39 PM
Casper

Those brownies and cold cereals are the only thing that's keeping me from wasting away to nothing! They are soooo yummy!

Re: I got rid of my scale! new
      #217012 - 10/02/05 02:41 PM
lalala

If I start losing weight I start worrying BIG TIME! "Oh no, I'm dying!" I start thinking, even though the weight loss is really because I'm not eating enough due to an IBS flare-up and me worrying that I'll eat something and have another attack and so I'm hungry and worried and scared and--"Oh no, I just lost another two pounds!"--and AAHHHH!!! A vicious cycle I decided to end earlier this year.

Now I only get weighed at the doctor's office and I keep eating through the attacks.

I hear ya, Lisa! :) new
      #217013 - 10/02/05 02:44 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Hey Lisa! I know how you feel, because I've tried to gain weight most of my life, but it's been hard because like you, I stop eating when it hurts. It doesn't make it easier that most people don't underrstand that when you are underweight, it is actually easier to lose pounds than it is to gain them. At my worst IBS moment when I started high school, I was 5'8" and 76 pounds. I didn't reach 100 until I was 19 or 20, and it was so frustrating trying to gain, then gaining a little and losing it all when I wasn't careful about managing my D. I just KNEW that everybody noticed I didn't have boobs-- embarrasing!

The only thing I did to effectively gain weight was to add a snacktime plus 3 new foods, and keep it up. I wouldn't give up any one of my pounds now without a fight! I figured out that I could digest a little dairy if I upped my imodium, too. Dairy was essential to me to break that 100 lb. barier!

But it still is tricky for me to keep on weight. I went from 155 the last week of March this year to 134 after being hospitallized for 3 days with non-stop D and vomiting (when I had my nasel-gastric tube) due to a virus I must have caught on a plane back from London. 21 pounds dissappeared in 3 days, and I've just now (at the end of september!!) managed to put them back on.

Scary knowing it can all go, just like that!!

I say good luck, and go slow! Find something, and stick to it. Don't get discouraged if the weight doesn't come on a quickley as you'd like. I'm in your corner, Lisa! You can do it!

Let us know how it goes! BTW, LOL about the shoes!!! I have the same thing, a ton of shoes, but hardly any clothes that fit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~nelly~

LOL Casper! Pregnant skeleton! new
      #217014 - 10/02/05 02:47 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

LOL! Pregnant skelleton!! You're so funny!

I'm tall and skinny, and I've always thought I look like I'm built like a spider with a little potbelly!!

~nelly~

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1848 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 39983

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review