All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
living in Middle East...
      #216793 - 09/30/05 10:16 AM
meowzalot

Reged: 09/30/05
Loc: from FL but lived in Lebanon last 2 years and now in Cairo Egypt for next two years

(Cairo, Egypt) and am trying to manage IBS without the advantage of American products. I can't get soy milk at local grocery. I will try a larger chain store soon but didn't feel like walking today. I am not stabilized yet and swing back and forth between C and D. Makes teaching school lotz of fun.
Question 1: Can soy milk be bought in US in powder form? I could get some in Dec and bring it back.
Question 2: Is couscous OK in the diet?
Question 3: If I can't find Benefiber, Equalactin, Citracel, or Fibercon, then what can I substitute?
Question 4: I can get lactobacillus acidophilus and will start that tomorrow. OK to use alone without above product?
Guess that will do for a start. Any help will be appreciated.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

You could order the Acacia fiber on this site.....Welcome! new
      #216794 - 09/30/05 10:24 AM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

I don't know if you can get soy milk in Powder form. I haven't seen it.....Wow, that must be hard living with IBS in the middle east. Be strong!! You will get through it!
Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

Re: living in Middle East... new
      #216795 - 09/30/05 10:27 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

I am not sure if this option would be of interest to you but you could pop to Israel...they have everything there...not acacia, but you can get other fibre supplements and lotttsss of different soy milks etc. The healthy eating/alternative food market is big there. Good luck.

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#216797 - 09/30/05 10:42 AM
meowzalot

Loc: from FL but lived in Lebanon last 2 years and now in Cairo Egypt for next two years

The area from here to Israel is not secure right now and we are advised not to go through Sinai to there. Plus can't get passport stamped or can't reenter Egypt. Tomorrow I may go to Carrefour (sort of like a French WalMart) and see if I can at least find soy products there and a blender.

Re: You could order the Acacia fiber on this site.....Welcome! new
      #216798 - 09/30/05 10:44 AM
meowzalot

Mail and customs are big reasons not to order anything online and have it shipped here. I am going to US in Dec and can stock up then but trying to get along between now and then.

#216802 - 09/30/05 10:59 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I have seen powdered soy milk in the US. I don't know a brand name offhand, nor have I used it, but it DOES exist.

Unless someone who's used it before chimes in first, I will check for a brand this weekend when I get groceries and report back.

#216806 - 09/30/05 11:31 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

the one I can help with is couscous- its fine, as long as its not prepared with butter- so ts a safe alternative to fix yourself. I'm more familiar with the israeli markets, but good luck with the egyptian ones..

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Sorry! I didn't know that...Good Luck! -nt- new
      #216808 - 09/30/05 11:35 AM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

#216822 - 09/30/05 01:17 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Oooh! Pita! Hummus! Foul (the lima bean thing, I mean)! You have lots of good IBS-friendly options even if you can't find soy milk. You could also look for other non-dairy milks like almond or rice or even make your own. I'm a big fan of Mexican horchata, which is basically a home-made sweetened almond or rice milk.

--AC

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4403 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1285

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review