All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
What actually causes bloating ..
      #216776 - 09/30/05 09:34 AM
crew

Reged: 06/24/05

... and do diarrhetics work? What about just plain ol' Midol, or any water retention medicines? Is there a difference between bloating from IBS, and bloating from anything else?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What actually causes bloating .. new
      #216779 - 09/30/05 09:38 AM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

I wish I knew! I'm bloated up like a balloon, right now.....I'm drinking some Fennel tea right now, but I can't really tell a difference.......I think I might have eaten something that triggered a colon spasm and then I got bloated...but I don't know if Midol or anything like that would help....I know Gas-X doesn't do anything for me!!!
Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

#216780 - 09/30/05 09:40 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

There's actually info about bloating here: What Causes Bloating? , including information about common and uncommon causes.

I found the following info at the Indiana University Health Center site:

Abdominal distention (bloating): The sensation of abdominal bloating may be caused by the actual presence of excess gas in the intestine. It may also be the result of spasm of the muscle fibers in the wall of the intestine compressing normal amounts of gas within the intestine so that it feels as if there were a large amount of gas. Sometimes an excess amount of gas actually forms a gas bubble in the left upper portion of the abdomen where the large intestine makes a sharp turn. The bubble can increase pressure on surrounding tissues, often causing pain in the left side of the chest.

Diarrhetics would work if your bloating had to do with water retention. However, with IBS, since it's due to spasms in the colon or gas retention, you would do better with a carminative like fennel (gas expeller) or an anti-spasmodic.

#216782 - 09/30/05 09:42 AM
lalala

I believe Gas-X and Phazyme, products containing simethicone, only work in getting rid of the gas bubbles in your stomach. This keeps them from going into your intestinal tract, but doesn't work on bloating or gas trapped in your colon.

OMG, THIS IS SOOO ME!! new
      #216785 - 09/30/05 09:46 AM
anlikerm

That is soo cool that you posted this. I can actually feel and hear that gas bubble that is in the upper-left part of my colon where it makes that sharp turn downward.....When I have a BM, I can hear it and when I suck in my gut it's really loud. I can push on it and move it around but I cannot move it from that spot!! It's soo annoying. I just want to cut a slit right there and put a straw in it to let all the air out......It's very painful and since it's right under my stomach it makes me feel like I'm going to throw up alot......A LOT!!!!!! I get nauseous all the time with major chest pressure...when I'm stable that bubble is gone.....but, right now I'm not stable and it's very loud and painful!!!! Uggggggg!!!!!!!
Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

Makes Sense.....since it doesn't work on me!! :) new
      #216786 - 09/30/05 09:46 AM
anlikerm

--------------------
Unstable

#216787 - 09/30/05 09:48 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

This is great information, Maria. I guess I'm going to have to look through the rest of the Glossary. I had no idea there was such useful stuff in there - and all those hyperlinks!

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Massage..... new
      #216799 - 09/30/05 10:52 AM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

My friend is a massage therapist and she has me massaging my stomach in a clockwise motion starting on the right. It has something to do with how your intestines wind or something! It has been a God-send.

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Hara massage? new
      #216801 - 09/30/05 10:57 AM
lalala

I posted a similar massage a while back and it really does help!

1. Place the palm of your hand near your navel. Make gentle circles around your navel in a clockwise motion.

2. Try pressing with your fingertips as you continue to circle.

3. If you find a sore spot, stop and hold the pressure for a moment and breathe deeply into your belly. To finish, hold your hand still over your navel for a few moments. take deep breaths, and let your shoulders relax.

Hara Massage

Re: Excellent detective work, Maria--n.t. new
      #216810 - 09/30/05 11:39 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 975 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6851

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review