All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)
Don't rely just on this site ... new
      #217010 - 10/02/05 02:37 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

As a few others have pointed out, the discussion here tends to dwell on the aspects of the diet that for some reason don't work for particular people. Have you read IBS: The First Year? Heather lays out every stage and explains the diet so thoroughly. I read the book first and started applying the principles before I found this site, and I just use it as kind of a backup when I have a random question. I didn't try to sort out the principles of the diet here -- the last thing you want is a thousand conflicting answers.

So, if you haven't read the book, read it. If you have, then read it again. I think you're about 17, right? Can you have one of your parents read it too, so they are on top of it with you and can help you? I was 22 when I first started the diet and was living on my own, but my mom read the book too so she could understand what was going on with me and how to help me. Now my friends and family know my basics -- low fat, no red meat, no dairy. Everything else I can pick off or eat around!

I think I am luckier than most in that my family is ridiculously supportive (My sisters-in-law even make me special separate meals sometimes when I eat over there, without even asking me if I want it!). But, if you give yourself and your family the tools to help you, it will get better.

The first month was awful because I felt like I was really sacrificing a lot with the diet and not feeling much better. Then, it got better a little at a time. I was D when I started, and since then have wavered through C and A. I'd say now I'm mostly A, but I know how to control it. When I have an unstable couple of days, I know it's because I drank too much beer, didn't get enough sleep, or have a big exam. (By the way, even "normal" people get very upset stomachs when they are stressed out, so that's probably not something we'll ever eliminate. The hypno CD's helped me a lot with that though).

I feel like I'm rambling so I'll end here. I hope I've been helpful. Good luck.
Amanda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I agree with Amanda... new
      #217015 - 10/02/05 02:48 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

IBS: The First Year is a great book that deals with many aspects of managing IBS beyond the diet. There's so much useful information in there that I've reread it a couple of times and still use it as a reference guide. I also read it before joining the boards. If you're still not sure about buying it, I've found it in most libraries I've visited.

Re: new
      #217023 - 10/02/05 03:11 PM
Lucrece

Reged: 04/29/05
Loc: Canada

First of all, I never meant a seperate C board, I meant just one or two different pages or sections on this website that explains how IBS-C and IBS-D are different. You won't believe how many times I screwed up on the diet and had to start over.
I never realized this post would become so acknowledged. I deeply appreciate the concern, support, and opinions I'm recieving.
What I am trying to wrap my mind around, is the fact that it is taking an inconcievable long period of time to eat exactly as the site recommends, and for it to take a year or more? I remember reading on this site that it should take no longer then several weeks.
Casper, thank you for your post. I'm young. And yes, frusterated. ...I've been doing everything exactly right.

The medical researches have overlooked us. It's quite a shame. Too bad scientists are spending money on how to grow fruit without seeds, and studying weither or not there is an existing afterlife, instead of curing internal complications that significantly reduce our quality of life.

--------------------
IBS-C

I don't mean to beat this to death ... new
      #217057 - 10/02/05 05:32 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Quote:

it is taking an inconcievable long period of time to eat exactly as the site recommends

You really are not going to see total results just from following all the posts on the board. The book is an incredibly valuable resource and should be your PRIMARY source of information. Think of the boards as a backup. I swear it will help.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

What's wrong with me??? new
      #217088 - 10/02/05 07:31 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I know I'm a downer...but I've been at this a year now and I am still in pain, constipated, bloated, and worn out. I thought maybe the diet only worked for D...but if C people are saying it works, then something is not right with my body...or my mind...or both.

I don't think anyone can promise the end result will be relief...it just doesn't happen all the time...or maybe it just takes even longer than a year for some. I still have to hope that one day I will get relief using these principles, along with some hypnosis, but I'm tired of being in the "frustrated, jealous of others' stability group"!

sorry, just my vent. Lucrece, we have no other choice than to keep trying...otherwise year after year will go by and we will be gaurenteed to still be sick if we don't try something. I think I am the exception to the rule. You have to give it at least a year. Like I said, if you don't at least try and stick with it, you definitly won't feel better.

Keep posting. I appreciate your honesty and can feel your frustration. You are never alone here. There is someone else who is still suffering.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: What's wrong with me??? new
      #217092 - 10/02/05 07:41 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Dear Beth - Please, don't blame yourself if the diet hasn't worked for you. I don't think anything's wrong with your mind! Didn't you once say you had another condition in addition to IBS? Couldn't this other disorder be what's keeping you from getting any relief?

Thank you for posting this, Beth -nt- new
      #217098 - 10/02/05 09:03 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Re: What's wrong with me??? new
      #217111 - 10/03/05 12:34 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Beth, don't you also have other isuues that aren't exactly helping (what's the one where you feel full all the time??? and STC also wasn't it)? Anything like that makes it harder to stabilise the IBS.

Re: I agree with Amanda... new
      #217131 - 10/03/05 07:02 AM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

I think people need to remember too that Heather does NOT recommend to eat no/low insoluble fiber for C! It's more about finding that balance that your body can handle. Like I know that when I eat whole wheat bread I get symptoms, so I don't eat it. Or if I eat too much grapes that can cause symptoms. So I just eat a little. Always try to find that maximim limit of insoluble fiber that you can handle, cause not enough and you won't go! I know a lot of people here are terrified of adding insoluble fiber, but you really do gotta try adding more a bit at a time(only as much as your body can handle, obviously if you get an attack you need to eat less), or else you won't be able to fully stabilize. I try to eat as much fiber as I can, this means that often I'm a little bit bloated, but nothing unmanagable.

So yeah, Heather's diet is very good to follow, just remember C's can tolerate more fiber then D's, and you gotta have it!!

--------------------
IBS-C

Chany? new
      #217140 - 10/03/05 08:15 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

If you say to stay away from white rice for a while, what did you use as your SF base for meals?

How much Fibercon is your maintainance dose and which probiotic do you take? Have you ever tried Magnesium? I guess you wouldn't need it if you are stable though!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 796 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 72544

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review