All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Soy Milk Expiration
      #21575 - 09/23/03 02:57 PM
nicolebee

Reged: 07/13/03
Loc: South Carolina, US

I see that the expiration dates on soy milk are usually pretty far ahead that you would use it up before worrying about it going bad. But what about it being "good for 7-10 days after opening?" How true is that? How does it go bad? I've used it after 14 days and didn't get sick or have anything weird happen to me, and it tasted fine.
Just wondering how strict the 7-10 day advisor is.
Thanks

--------------------
Nicole
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Soy Milk Expiration new
      #21579 - 09/23/03 04:02 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

I've never heard of the 7-10 days. I've used soy milk that's been open for several weeks and have never had any ill effects.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#21619 - 09/23/03 09:53 PM
irish

Reged: 09/23/03

I notice on certain brands of soy milk it states that after openning you have seven to ten days to use it. I always get rid of it after ten days because I afraid of getting sick.

#21622 - 09/24/03 03:56 AM
Brenton

Reged: 08/27/03
Loc: Yorkshire, England

I have used soya milk for a long timeand used it for weeks after openingwith no ill effects.

I do not particularly like the taste so i blend a banana into it for my breakfast, it is relly nice and you get the added benefit of the slow energy release from the banana.

Brenton
brenton@brentonwilliams.com

#21654 - 09/24/03 02:05 PM
nicolebee

Reged: 07/13/03
Loc: South Carolina, US

Maybe not all brands have the "7 to 10 day" statement. I drink the Silk brand chocolate and it has it on it. I think the regular and vanilla do too.

I'm glad to know of people who have used it way beyond the date with no ill effects. Maybe it's just a precaution they put on there. Who knows.

Thanks

--------------------
Nicole
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

#21682 - 09/24/03 06:44 PM
Teg

Reged: 05/05/03
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I too was not aware of the 7-10 day thing, I don't know that I have ever really read the carton though, so that could be why. I drink soy milk weeks after it has been opened. I always have and have never been sick from it. Also the health food stores around here all sell soy milk after the expiration date for half price and swear it is fine. I have never bought it myself but know some people who do without problem.

#21748 - 09/26/03 03:52 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Hi...I think the 7-10 day thing is just a Best-Before-Date, which, like with fruit or bread, isn't neccessarily when you can't have it. I've been on Soy milk for years because of sensitivity and migraines and I've found that the only way to know if Soy milk is off is wait till it goes lumpy. Then chuck it. Until then, it's absolutely fine. As far as I can work out, the Best-Before-Date (7-10 days) thing is just when the manufacturers can guarantee that it won't go lumpy.

Happy eating!

Linz

#21807 - 09/26/03 08:14 PM
kcj44

Reged: 03/23/03
Loc: Elk Grove, CA

I am one who goes by the expiration date. It is something I have had an obsession about since I was a teenager. I don't eat or drink anything over the date. I know I'm wierd. I don't see anything wrong with those who do use it after the expiration date. I figure if they are fine, then it is okay.

Karen

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 498 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1050

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review