All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Booo, nothing is working for me anymore
      #215715 - 09/25/05 12:09 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Heather's Diet, SFS, calcium supplements, immodium, gas-x... All of it, and I am sick as a dog. So much D, and pain and cramping. I am going crazy.
I keep thinking about trying something new, like Digestive Advantage just to see if it helps but it seems like it only helps IBS-C, and I am very D.
For a little while, the calcium was like a miracle for me, then 2 weeks later.. BAM! Attacks every day. So was it not the calcium? Who knows??
I am just going nuts.
Grrrrrrr.
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Sorry Steph new
      #215718 - 09/25/05 12:15 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I don't know what to advise...as I am in the same boat if you exchange the D for the C!

How much Immodium and Calcium are you taking? Maybe you need more. Back when I was D the following worked best for me: Culturelle GG probiotic, slippery elm tea, Carob powder in heated Rice Milk. I got the idea from Dr. Weil's website.

Have you tried antispasmodics? How about Lotronex? Do they offer that in Canada?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Beth new
      #215721 - 09/25/05 12:23 PM
Stephie

Quote:

Hi Beth! I don't know what to advise...as I am in the same boat if you exchange the D for the C!
Aw, that's okay. I feel like I should be the one doing all the advising after this much time, but it's not working out that way right now! I know you are having a really rough go of it, too. How is the Acacia going? I wanted to say that when I first went out Acacia years ago, I did feel that at first I was going more often (the long thin ones) but it did get better.

How much Immodium and Calcium are you taking? Maybe you need more. Back when I was D the following worked best for me: Culturelle GG probiotic, slippery elm tea, Carob powder in heated Rice. I got the idea from Dr. Weil's website.
Well, what seems to happen for me is that I can take 1 immodium and it helps. Then the next time, I take 1 and it does nothing. So I take two. It helps. The next time I take two, and it's like I haven't even taken it. I think my body is just used to it by now. Like I was taking half a tablet before bed, and then the other half as soon as I woke up and that worked great for a couple of days.. Now if I do that, it's like nothing. I was taking two calcium chews a day, but then found that I was so sick so I read that it is supposed to help constipation and thought, "Uh oh". I was taking a probiotic, but didn't notice any change so stopped. I will start again and see what happens.
Have you tried antispasmodics? How about Lotronex? Do they offer that in Canada?
Yeah, I have been on about 5 different anti-spasmodics in the past year or so. I haven't found relief from any of them, and some have given some pretty nasty side effects. I haven't tried Lotronex, though. Maybe I will ask my doc about it. Most recently I was on Asacol, which is a Colitis med, which I thought was helping but then I got really sick again on the exact same dose so I went off of it, and no change, so I guess not!
It is just so confusing! You'd think after this many years, I'd have more of this stuff figured out more conclusively but nope! Grr.
Thanks for the help, though!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

I know, I feel the same.. new
      #215726 - 09/25/05 12:39 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

...that by now I should be advising and not still hurting and unstable. We must just have stubborn cases!

I wanted to add that the Culturelle Brand of probiotic is the only kind that help my diarrhea. This strand of GG in this brand is actually used in hospitals to treat children with chronic diarrhea!

I never heard that calcium would help constipation. It cause C for most...which is reduced if you add magnesium to the regiment! Are you sure the "chews" didn't contain any unsafe ingredients? The only ones I see in the chew form contain fructose or other troublesome ingredients.

Maybe you need more immodium. Nelly takes tons of it everyday.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Booo, nothing is working for me anymore new
      #215734 - 09/25/05 02:06 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Yup. Been there. Um, well, actually, I'm STILL there. Gas-X has never done anything for me. Gas is not one of my symptoms unless I am literally on the verge of a D attack. I keep meaning to try the calcium but am still hesitating. I tried oyster shell calcium several months ago, and wow. My gut felt like I had been trying to eat oyster shells whole. On one of the other IBS message boards I looked at briefly, there was some lady who swore by taking Caltrate 600 Plus (the purple kind) three times a day.

At the moment I'm surviving mainly, I think, because I am eating so little. I make a big batch of homemade bread every couple days and eat that. I eat several pieces plain throughout the day so my stomach doesn't get empty, and at dinner I treat myself with a little bit of Soy Garden. On occasion I'll eat something else at dinner if I'm not feeling totally miserable.

What SFS are you using? All of them actually made my D worse. I'm on Acacia, and though I don't think it's actually made the D worse, it IS giving me bad gas, which makes me paranoid because, like I said, I've never had gas like that before unless I'm about to have D. I'm on 1/4 t a day, though I'm not taking it right now while I'm doing my (ugghhh) colonoscopy prep. I tried Acacia once before and it made me worse, but I might have started out w/ too much.

I take a lot of Imodium. The other day I had taken 8 before 10:30 a.m. I take Levsin and I take it like clockwork every 4 hours. It's not a cure, but it helps. I didn't think it helped that much since I was so sick anyway, but I've run out a couple times, and boy, do I ever feel it. I think that you have to be proactive with the antispasmodic for them to do any good. If you aren't on one, I would definitely go back to your doctor and get on one. Without mine I wouldn't be able to go to work.

Have you tried the warming stomach-wrap things that you can buy, generally meant for your period? If your heating pad helps when you're at home I'd give these a shot.

Sorry you are feeling so rough!!!! I really hope this next week is better for you.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Re: Booo, nothing is working for me anymore new
      #215736 - 09/25/05 02:19 PM
Stephie

Quote:

Hiya! Yup. Been there. Um, well, actually, I'm STILL there. Aw, I know. I have read some of your past posts, and I'm sorry you are suffering too. Especially with your colonoscopy prep, I had mine in july and i remember it well! Gas-X has never done anything for me. Gas is not one of my symptoms unless I am literally on the verge of a D attack. Well, I don't actually take Gas-X for gas as that isn't a huge problem, it's more gas PAINS that get me. I was told it could help relieve some of the pain, but it doesn't so I am thinking they may not be gas pains afterall and some other kind of pains. I keep meaning to try the calcium but am still hesitating.
At the moment I'm surviving mainly, I think, because I am eating so little. I make a big batch of homemade bread every couple days and eat that. I eat several pieces plain throughout the day so my stomach doesn't get empty, and at dinner I treat myself with a little bit of Soy Garden. On occasion I'll eat something else at dinner if I'm not feeling totally miserable.
Yikes, that is an insanely small amount to eat in the day! I definitely eat more than that, but I am sticking to what I know doesn't make me sick. I have slipped up, though, as I have been eating at places where I can't check the ingredients while I am at work. Starting tomorrow, I'll have a fridge to put a homemade lunch in so I expect that to help some.

What SFS are you using? All of them actually made my D worse. I have taken pretty much all of them (well, a lot anyway) but right now I WAS taking Prodiem powder until my cramps got too bad and I thought it might help if I stopped. Instead, I am taking Celevac tablets (which I got in the UK) which are chewable, and a loser dose.
I take a lot of Imodium. The other day I had taken 8 before 10:30 a.m. I take Levsin and I take it like clockwork every 4 hours. It's not a cure, but it helps. I didn't think it helped that much since I was so sick anyway, but I've run out a couple times, and boy, do I ever feel it. I think that you have to be proactive with the antispasmodic for them to do any good. If you aren't on one, I would definitely go back to your doctor and get on one. Without mine I wouldn't be able to go to work.
I find that if I take too much immodium, I run into other problems like major stomach cramps, stabbing pains and severe nausea. Otherwise, I'd probably just keep popping them like candy. Plus, as soon as they are out of my system, I get wicked attacks. I will look into Levsin and see how I go on that one, maybe. I am really broke, so right now I am not taking any prescription meds but once I have a better income, I will ask for a script.

Have you tried the warming stomach-wrap things that you can buy, generally meant for your period? If your heating pad helps when you're at home I'd give these a shot.
Yep, I use them sometimes. I sometimes find them more irritating than soothing, though.

Sorry you are feeling so rough!!!! I really hope this next week is better for you.
You and me both!! Thanks, I really appreciate it! I think I really will have to start back at square one and try some more new things.
Cheers!
--Steph

--------------------
IBS-D,pain.

Re: I know, I feel the same.. new
      #215737 - 09/25/05 02:30 PM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

I'm in the same boat with ya! I read that post about the Caltrate 600+ and I bought some of that. Gave it two full weeks and I couldn't take it anymore! Made my stomach knot up bad.....nausea, REALLY bad.....so I stopped taking it. It wasn't helping my diarrhea, anyway. I took the Culturelle probiotic for over one month, just stopped it, today, because it was causing my heartburn. I couldn't figure out what it was until someone told me that probiotics can give some people heartburn. So, I stopped that and today, I have no heartburn! Wow, I don't know why it gave me heartburn, but it did and it didn't help with my diarrhea, either. I wrote them and told them about it and asked them if they had any suggestions and they said that it probably isn't the right probiotic for me. So, everyone is different. Try it and if you get heartburn....it's the probiotic! The Imodium has helped my diarrhea, so keep taking that. Take more if it doesn't help. I take one a day and STILL have a BM every single morning. But, I don't keep going and going and going like I was before. I have more stomach problems now than colon problems, I believe.
I had an attack earlier, today, and ever since then I have been trying to eat to keep my stomach full and I have such bad gas that I'm drinking Sprite to help get it out of my stomach. I know carbonated beverages are a BIG NO NO, but it sure does help keep my stomach settled.
Let me know if you find something that works for you!!
I will be praying for you!!
Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

Steph new
      #215738 - 09/25/05 02:34 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Just a quick thought, reading your post: calcium is supposed to help D, not C. (C'ers are helped by magnesium.) The problem is the chews. Those calcium chews, if you get the same kind up there that we get here, ALL contain dairy. Every brand, every flavor, all of them. You might want to try calcium again, but in a tablet/pill this time. Just a thought!

augie new
      #215747 - 09/25/05 03:00 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

where do you get culterelle?

--------------------

Beth, I can't find this! new
      #215753 - 09/25/05 03:42 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Where do you find the Culturelle? I've looked at Target, Wal-Mart, and Hy-Vee. None of them carry it. Guess I will try Walgreen's next.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1622 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5601

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review