All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Magnesium
      #21541 - 09/23/03 10:37 AM
painter

Reged: 09/23/03

Im new here so please bear with me....

I searched the archives and really didnt find what I was looking for regarding side effects of Magnesium.

Im IBS-C and just recently began taking Mag Oxide about 3 weeks ago. I take about 500-600 MG daily and it has changed my life quite alot. It does have a laxative effect on me...although sometimes not so strongly. But, i get daily relief and I can think clearly and function at a high rate.

My concerns are about what potential side effects Mag Ox may have. Nutriently am I washing away things I need? I take a multi vitamin and eat a very healthy diet...my BM is every morning once a day.

Also, do I need to be concerned about an addiction? Will my colon be able to function without this if i continue to use this?

As I said, the positives so far for me have been quite large. And, im really reluctant to go back to the pain and discomfort.

Help if you know any thing about the questions above.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Magnesium new
      #21590 - 09/23/03 04:34 PM
painter

Also, is magnesium a natural thing?

#21621 - 09/24/03 03:34 AM
WS

Reged: 08/09/03
Loc: California

hi,
I cannot speak with any authority, but did read on the Internet that an excess (1000 or more) of Magnesium could cause diarrhea and mental distress. I am only repeating. I do think it has helped me to keep it at no more than 5oo mg.
WS

--------------------

Edited by WS (09/24/03 03:35 AM)

#21633 - 09/24/03 08:54 AM
painter

Thank WS....yes, I am wondering if keeping magnesium at a moderate level of 500-700 will have any negative effects.

#21742 - 09/25/03 11:09 PM
WS

Reged: 08/09/03
Loc: California

It is an important mineral and , as the Internet stated, is very important in regulating blood pressure. They just said 1000 was too much- so I would assume that 500 is fine. I usually take about that and I seem to be o.k. but when I was taking more I think, (though cannot prove) that it was contributing to my troubles.
WS

--------------------

#21754 - 09/26/03 08:09 AM
painter

Thanks WS....Im curious what the role of Citric or Vitamin C is with combining with Mag?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1511 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1453

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review